win2000 win 98 behaviour on shares - SMB

This is a discussion on win2000 win 98 behaviour on shares - SMB ; hello, in first sorry for my english. I've got some problems to apply some permissions on a directory and the behaviour depend on the windows client version. I create a directory like that : directory "toto" owner : rwx group ...

  1. win2000 win 98 behaviour on shares

    hello,
    in first sorry for my english.

    I've got some problems to apply some permissions on a directory and
    the behaviour depend on the windows client version.

    I create a directory like that :
    directory "toto"
    owner : rwx
    group : rwx
    other wx

    i want that users (other) cant read but can write in the following
    share

    i make a share in smb.conf like that

    [toto]
    path = /home/toto
    browsable = no
    read only = no

    i make this test with samba 2.2.2 and both windows 98, windows 2000
    clients
    the behaviour is correct with windows 98(the users "other" cant read
    the share but can put some files in it)
    it doesnt work with a windows 2000 client

    thank you for your answer

  2. Re: win2000 win 98 behaviour on shares

    Pascal Legrand wrote:

    > hello,
    > in first sorry for my english.
    >

    > I've got some problems to apply some permissions on a directory and
    > the behaviour depend on the windows client version.
    >
    > I create a directory like that :
    > directory "toto"
    > owner : rwx
    > group : rwx
    > other wx
    >
    > i want that users (other) cant read but can write in the following
    > share
    >
    > i make a share in smb.conf like that
    >
    > [toto]
    > path = /home/toto
    > browsable = no
    > read only = no
    >
    > i make this test with samba 2.2.2 and both windows 98, windows 2000
    > clients
    > the behaviour is correct with windows 98(the users "other" cant read
    > the share but can put some files in it)
    > it doesnt work with a windows 2000 client
    >
    > thank you for your answer

    Add:
    security = share

    to your smb.conf file and restart the smbd and the nmbd daemons to see
    if it works.

+ Reply to Thread