How to switch an NT 4.0 Server to another domain? - SMB

This is a discussion on How to switch an NT 4.0 Server to another domain? - SMB ; I've got an NT 4.0 server running as the PDC of a domain I'd like to put a bullet through. Is there a graceful way documented somewhere to switch it to simply be a NT 4.0 server on another domain, ...

  1. How to switch an NT 4.0 Server to another domain?

    I've got an NT 4.0 server running as the PDC of a domain I'd like to put a
    bullet through. Is there a graceful way documented somewhere to switch it to
    simply be a NT 4.0 server on another domain, without re-installing the
    entire out-of-date system?

  2. Re: How to switch an NT 4.0 Server to another domain?

    I was in the same predicament many moons ago and I could not find a way. You
    can demote it to a BDC and promote some other server to PDC but as far as I
    could tell and asking other people, you have to reinstall the the system if
    you want to change domains. Perhaps, somebody else can chime in and have
    better news for you.

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    > I've got an NT 4.0 server running as the PDC of a domain I'd like to put a
    > bullet through. Is there a graceful way documented somewhere to switch it

    > simply be a NT 4.0 server on another domain, without re-installing the
    > entire out-of-date system?

  3. Re: How to switch an NT 4.0 Server to another domain?

    I can collaborate that info. NT4 has no way to remove the DC without a
    reinstall. The fix was with Win2000 which can promote, demote, add and
    remove the DC function. That is not always a bad thing. Sometimes a
    reinstall makes an old system perform much better then it was.

    "cb" wrote in message
    > I was in the same predicament many moons ago and I could not find a way.

    You
    > can demote it to a BDC and promote some other server to PDC but as far as

    > could tell and asking other people, you have to reinstall the the system

    if
    > you want to change domains. Perhaps, somebody else can chime in and have
    > better news for you.
    >

    > "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    > > I've got an NT 4.0 server running as the PDC of a domain I'd like to put

    > > bullet through. Is there a graceful way documented somewhere to switch

    it
    > > simply be a NT 4.0 server on another domain, without re-installing the
    > > entire out-of-date system?

+ Reply to Thread