GentooLinuxbox can't access another Linuxbox - SMB

This is a discussion on GentooLinuxbox can't access another Linuxbox - SMB ; Hallo all! In my lan I have a few WinXP boxes + 1 linux box called ipcop with samba 2.2.8a + a gentoo linux box called gentoo with samba 3.0.0 r1. The problem is that Gentoo Linux (samba 3) can't ...

  1. GentooLinuxbox can't access another Linuxbox

    Hallo all!
    In my lan I have a few WinXP boxes + 1 linux box called ipcop with samba
    2.2.8a + a gentoo linux box called gentoo with samba 3.0.0 r1.

    The problem is that Gentoo Linux (samba 3) can't access IPCopLinux (samba
    2.2.8a).

    root@gentoo:~ # smbclient -L ipcop
    [2003/12/11 18:21:19, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(279)
    read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset by
    peer.
    protocol negotiation failed

    another example:

    root@gentoo:~ # mount -t smbfs //ipcop/deposito /deposito
    read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset by
    peer.
    3623: protocol negotiation failed
    SMB connection failed

    So, to make things clearer:
    Access from Gentoo to WinXP boxes works.
    Access from WinXP boxes to Gentoo works.
    Access from Gentoo to ipcop doesn't work.

    I couldn't find anything relevant on google/this ng.
    Anybody have any idea?

  2. Re: GentooLinuxbox can't access another Linuxbox

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:52:36 GMT,
    mingotta , in
    wrote:

    +> In my lan I have a few WinXP boxes + 1 linux box called ipcop with samba
    +> 2.2.8a + a gentoo linux box called gentoo with samba 3.0.0 r1.
    +>
    +> The problem is that Gentoo Linux (samba 3) can't access IPCopLinux (samba
    +> 2.2.8a).

    +> protocol negotiation failed
    +> 3623: protocol negotiation failed

    +> Anybody have any idea?

    It's a protocol negotiation failure... ;-) What that means, or why
    it's so, I dunno. I would look thru the docs on the gentoo box and see
    if the Samba docs discuss what parameters you need to tweak to make it
    happy with a 2.2.x samba.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.