Here is my procedure so far...

1. Fresh installation of Tru64 5.1B
2. Downloaded latest samba from sources at samba.org
3. execute "./configure" without any options from sources directory
4. warnings produced:
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
configure: WARNING: Sufficient support for iconv function was not
found.
Install libiconv from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libiconv/ for
better charset compatibility!

5. download and "./configure" latest source of libiconv from above
url.
6. rerun samba configure and same warning

Although this is a warning, I have a machine installed with Samba but
unable to get into SWAT as the swat.log records problems with
character conversion, and I believe it to be getting this part correct
will solve my problems with SWAT and other associated charset
problems.

Help and thanks