making home available to some users - SMB

This is a discussion on making home available to some users - SMB ; Hi, In my smb.conf I have: [homes] comment = Home area writeable = yes browsable = no valid users = %S which is the home directory for users. So on a windows client (XP), users can map their home directory ...

  1. making home available to some users

    Hi,

    In my smb.conf I have:

    [homes]
    comment = Home area
    writeable = yes
    browsable = no
    valid users = %S

    which is the home directory for users. So on a windows client (XP), users
    can map their home directory from the Samba share and no one else has access
    to this area.
    What I would like to do is allow a select group of users access to some
    users' home directories.

    Rather than dumping the current [homes] section and making a new section,
    say [userA] which contains userA's home directory and giving access to a
    select group of other users, is there any other method of doing this?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: making home available to some users

    Charles wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my smb.conf I have:
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home area
    > writeable = yes
    > browsable = no
    > valid users = %S
    >
    > which is the home directory for users. So on a windows client (XP), users
    > can map their home directory from the Samba share and no one else has access
    > to this area.
    > What I would like to do is allow a select group of users access to some
    > users' home directories.
    >
    > Rather than dumping the current [homes] section and making a new section,
    > say [userA] which contains userA's home directory and giving access to a
    > select group of other users, is there any other method of doing this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi,

    To my mind the easiest way would be, do set up another posix group on
    the linux server, and make the special homedirectories accessible by the
    group members.
    In order to give a peticular user the accessrights to these files
    /directories make him am member of that group
    ( one can be a member of more than one group )

    This is assuming, that the individual user-directories are
    subdirectories of the "homes" share.

    mfg

    Matthias Steffen

  3. Re: making home available to some users

    "Charles" wrote in message
    news:nQTsb.13031$IK2.969001@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my smb.conf I have:
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home area
    > writeable = yes
    > browsable = no
    > valid users = %S
    >
    > which is the home directory for users. So on a windows client (XP), users
    > can map their home directory from the Samba share and no one else has

    access
    > to this area.
    > What I would like to do is allow a select group of users access to some
    > users' home directories.
    >
    > Rather than dumping the current [homes] section and making a new section,
    > say [userA] which contains userA's home directory and giving access to a
    > select group of other users, is there any other method of doing this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would create a share of the directory that contains the [homes]
    directories. You can give access to the share with the valid uses = variable
    or refine the permissions with groups.

+ Reply to Thread