Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent - SMB ; I'd like to be able to use my Mac OS X machine seamlessly within my network. For this, I need to be able to have NetBIOS resolution occur just like DNS or /etc/hosts file lookups. For example, I'd like to ...

  1. Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent

    I'd like to be able to use my Mac OS X machine seamlessly within my
    network. For this, I need to be able to have NetBIOS resolution occur
    just like DNS or /etc/hosts file lookups.

    For example, I'd like to be able to type http://my-netbios-name into the
    address bar of Safari and have the system resolve the IP.

    Unix systems can use the winbindd and /etc/nsswitch.conf tools, but
    unfortunately this isn't available for OS X as far as I can tell.

    Would creating a custom agent for lookupd be the way to go with this? I
    hope to god that I'm just missing something simple, and that someone
    here can put me back on the right path. I've done a bunch of searching
    on google and the archives for this list, and have just come up empty
    handed. So empty handed that I'm thinking this has never posed itself as
    an issue for anyone ever before. Why?

    Thank you for any help/info you can provide,
    --
    Ryan

  2. Re: Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent

    "Ryan Parr" wrote in message
    > I'd like to be able to use my Mac OS X machine seamlessly within my
    > network. For this, I need to be able to have NetBIOS resolution occur
    > just like DNS or /etc/hosts file lookups.
    >
    > For example, I'd like to be able to type http://my-netbios-name into the
    > address bar of Safari and have the system resolve the IP.
    >
    > Unix systems can use the winbindd and /etc/nsswitch.conf tools, but
    > unfortunately this isn't available for OS X as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Would creating a custom agent for lookupd be the way to go with this? I
    > hope to god that I'm just missing something simple, and that someone
    > here can put me back on the right path. I've done a bunch of searching
    > on google and the archives for this list, and have just come up empty
    > handed. So empty handed that I'm thinking this has never posed itself as
    > an issue for anyone ever before. Why?
    >
    > Thank you for any help/info you can provide,
    > --
    > Ryan

    I think Windows systems are the only systems that can use NetBIOS name
    resolution for TCP/IP services and functions natively when it has NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP. Linux requires HOST files or bind name resolution. I'm not to
    sure what OS X requires, but since it based on Unix I suspect it has the
    same problem. It's not really a problem, it's just two different protocols.

    There is a Windows solution if you have a WINS and DNS server. You can add a
    WINS record to the zone file. WINS server handles dynamic updates from
    NetBIOS clients. If the DNS server cannot resolve the name, it queries the
    WINS server. So basically this makes your NetBIOS client names available to
    non NetBIOS (TCP/IP) clients just as you require.

    Win2000/XP now use dynamic DNS so the WINS server is not required. The newer
    versions of bind or named can handle dynamic IP updates so this will do the
    same thing as the scheme above.

    What systems do you need to advertise the NetBIOS names for ? Windows or
    Linux ? There are more solutions depending on what you want to do.

  3. Re: Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent

    m.marien wrote:
    > "Ryan Parr" wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd like to be able to use my Mac OS X machine seamlessly within my
    >>network. For this, I need to be able to have NetBIOS resolution occur
    >>just like DNS or /etc/hosts file lookups.
    >>
    >>For example, I'd like to be able to type http://my-netbios-name into the
    >>address bar of Safari and have the system resolve the IP.
    >>
    >>Unix systems can use the winbindd and /etc/nsswitch.conf tools, but
    >>unfortunately this isn't available for OS X as far as I can tell.
    >>
    >>Would creating a custom agent for lookupd be the way to go with this? I
    >>hope to god that I'm just missing something simple, and that someone
    >>here can put me back on the right path. I've done a bunch of searching
    >>on google and the archives for this list, and have just come up empty
    >>handed. So empty handed that I'm thinking this has never posed itself as
    >>an issue for anyone ever before. Why?
    >>
    >>Thank you for any help/info you can provide,
    >>--
    >>Ryan
    >>

    > I think Windows systems are the only systems that can use NetBIOS name
    > resolution for TCP/IP services and functions natively when it has NetBIOS
    > over TCP/IP. Linux requires HOST files or bind name resolution. I'm not to
    > sure what OS X requires, but since it based on Unix I suspect it has the
    > same problem. It's not really a problem, it's just two different protocols.
    >
    > There is a Windows solution if you have a WINS and DNS server. You can add a
    > WINS record to the zone file. WINS server handles dynamic updates from
    > NetBIOS clients. If the DNS server cannot resolve the name, it queries the
    > WINS server. So basically this makes your NetBIOS client names available to
    > non NetBIOS (TCP/IP) clients just as you require.
    >
    > Win2000/XP now use dynamic DNS so the WINS server is not required. The newer
    > versions of bind or named can handle dynamic IP updates so this will do the
    > same thing as the scheme above.
    >
    > What systems do you need to advertise the NetBIOS names for ? Windows or
    > Linux ? There are more solutions depending on what you want to do.

    Thank you for the information. That's what I was afraid of

    The names will be advertised from Windows 2000/Windows 2003 server
    systems. Unfortunately we aren't able to publish DNS or WINS service in
    our environment (simply political, it's a long story .

    If I do end up writing the lookupd agent, I'll definitely put that back
    out there. But I hope to avoid it

    Thanks again!
    --
    Ryan

  4. Re: Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent

    "Ryan Parr" wrote in message
    > m.marien wrote:
    > > "Ryan Parr" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'd like to be able to use my Mac OS X machine seamlessly within my
    > >>network. For this, I need to be able to have NetBIOS resolution occur
    > >>just like DNS or /etc/hosts file lookups.
    > >>
    > >>For example, I'd like to be able to type http://my-netbios-name into the
    > >>address bar of Safari and have the system resolve the IP.
    > >>
    > >>Unix systems can use the winbindd and /etc/nsswitch.conf tools, but
    > >>unfortunately this isn't available for OS X as far as I can tell.
    > >>
    > >>Would creating a custom agent for lookupd be the way to go with this? I
    > >>hope to god that I'm just missing something simple, and that someone
    > >>here can put me back on the right path. I've done a bunch of searching
    > >>on google and the archives for this list, and have just come up empty
    > >>handed. So empty handed that I'm thinking this has never posed itself as
    > >>an issue for anyone ever before. Why?
    > >>
    > >>Thank you for any help/info you can provide,
    > >>--
    > >>Ryan
    > >>

    > > I think Windows systems are the only systems that can use NetBIOS name
    > > resolution for TCP/IP services and functions natively when it has

    NetBIOS
    > > over TCP/IP. Linux requires HOST files or bind name resolution. I'm not

    > > sure what OS X requires, but since it based on Unix I suspect it has the
    > > same problem. It's not really a problem, it's just two different

    protocols.

    > > There is a Windows solution if you have a WINS and DNS server. You can

    add a
    > > WINS record to the zone file. WINS server handles dynamic updates from
    > > NetBIOS clients. If the DNS server cannot resolve the name, it queries

    the
    > > WINS server. So basically this makes your NetBIOS client names available

    > > non NetBIOS (TCP/IP) clients just as you require.
    > >
    > > Win2000/XP now use dynamic DNS so the WINS server is not required. The

    newer
    > > versions of bind or named can handle dynamic IP updates so this will do

    the
    > > same thing as the scheme above.
    > >
    > > What systems do you need to advertise the NetBIOS names for ? Windows or
    > > Linux ? There are more solutions depending on what you want to do.

    > Thank you for the information. That's what I was afraid of
    >
    > The names will be advertised from Windows 2000/Windows 2003 server
    > systems. Unfortunately we aren't able to publish DNS or WINS service in
    > our environment (simply political, it's a long story .
    >
    > If I do end up writing the lookupd agent, I'll definitely put that back
    > out there. But I hope to avoid it
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > --
    > Ryan

    Perhaps you can use their DNS. If the Win2000/XP/2003 systems belong to AD,
    they dynamically update their IP addresses to a DNS (DDNS). They no longer
    use WINS. All you have to do is add the IP address of their DNS server (most
    likely one of the DC's) to your TCP/IP settings and you can access their
    systems by name. You might have to use the FQN. That is, the netBIOS name +
    the domain name.

  5. Re: Samba and Mac OS X - lookupd Agent

    m.marien wrote:

    > "Ryan Parr" wrote in message
    >
    >>m.marien wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ryan Parr" wrote in message

    >>>I think Windows systems are the only systems that can use NetBIOS name
    >>>resolution for TCP/IP services and functions natively when it has

    > NetBIOS
    >
    >>>over TCP/IP. Linux requires HOST files or bind name resolution. I'm not

    >>>sure what OS X requires, but since it based on Unix I suspect it has the
    >>>same problem. It's not really a problem, it's just two different

    > protocols.
    >
    >>>There is a Windows solution if you have a WINS and DNS server. You can

    > add a
    >
    >>>WINS record to the zone file. WINS server handles dynamic updates from
    >>>NetBIOS clients. If the DNS server cannot resolve the name, it queries

    > the
    >
    >>>WINS server. So basically this makes your NetBIOS client names available

    >>>non NetBIOS (TCP/IP) clients just as you require.
    >>>
    >>>Win2000/XP now use dynamic DNS so the WINS server is not required. The

    > newer
    >
    >>>versions of bind or named can handle dynamic IP updates so this will do

    > the
    >
    >>>same thing as the scheme above.
    >>>
    >>>What systems do you need to advertise the NetBIOS names for ? Windows or
    >>>Linux ? There are more solutions depending on what you want to do.

    >>Thank you for the information. That's what I was afraid of
    >>
    >>The names will be advertised from Windows 2000/Windows 2003 server
    >>systems. Unfortunately we aren't able to publish DNS or WINS service in
    >>our environment (simply political, it's a long story .
    >>
    >>If I do end up writing the lookupd agent, I'll definitely put that back
    >>out there. But I hope to avoid it
    >>
    >>Thanks again!
    >>--
    >>Ryan
    >>

    > Perhaps you can use their DNS. If the Win2000/XP/2003 systems belong to AD,
    > they dynamically update their IP addresses to a DNS (DDNS). They no longer
    > use WINS. All you have to do is add the IP address of their DNS server (most
    > likely one of the DC's) to your TCP/IP settings and you can access their
    > systems by name. You might have to use the FQN. That is, the netBIOS name +
    > the domain name.

    Thank you. Unfortunately there will be neither DNS nor WINS.

+ Reply to Thread