netware to samba; message \\server is not accessable the computeror sharename could not be found - SMB

This is a discussion on netware to samba; message \\server is not accessable the computeror sharename could not be found - SMB ; I am migrating from a netware to linux network. I have about 30 clients running windows 98 se, windows 2000 and xp. almost all clients can log onto the samba share. There are 4 computers that will not connect. The ...

  1. netware to samba; message \\server is not accessable the computeror sharename could not be found

    I am migrating from a netware to linux network.

    I have about 30 clients running windows 98 se, windows 2000 and xp.

    almost all clients can log onto the samba share.

    There are 4 computers that will not connect. The samba server shows up
    in the network neighborhood. When I double click on the samba server I
    get the following message:

    \\mreevs3 is not accessable (mreevs3 is the server name)
    The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    correctly, and try again.

    To me this message seems to imply that the samba server got a request
    from a client machine but refused the connection. I have carefully
    check the spelling of the computer name, user id and password. All are
    spelled the same (and with the same upper case/lower case).

    If I turn off a computer that can access the samba share and rename the
    non working computer to that name, I still cannot log onto the samba
    server. From this I would think that the problem resides on the client
    computer.

    Is this conclusion valid? What should I be looking for? The samba
    configuration is the basic setup that comes with Mandrake 9.0.

  2. Re: netware to samba; message \\server is not accessable the computer or sharename could not be found

    "Patrick Goupell" wrote in message
    > I am migrating from a netware to linux network.
    >
    > I have about 30 clients running windows 98 se, windows 2000 and xp.
    >
    > almost all clients can log onto the samba share.
    >
    > There are 4 computers that will not connect. The samba server shows up
    > in the network neighborhood. When I double click on the samba server I
    > get the following message:
    >
    > \\mreevs3 is not accessable (mreevs3 is the server name)
    > The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    > correctly, and try again.
    >
    > To me this message seems to imply that the samba server got a request
    > from a client machine but refused the connection. I have carefully
    > check the spelling of the computer name, user id and password. All are
    > spelled the same (and with the same upper case/lower case).
    >
    > If I turn off a computer that can access the samba share and rename the
    > non working computer to that name, I still cannot log onto the samba
    > server. From this I would think that the problem resides on the client
    > computer.
    >
    > Is this conclusion valid? What should I be looking for? The samba
    > configuration is the basic setup that comes with Mandrake 9.0.

    Sounds more like a username/password problem. I just seen on this n/g that
    the usernames must all be lower case or it causes a problem. You could use
    smbusers to map Windows usernames to valid (lowercase) Samba names.

+ Reply to Thread