Samba file creation date - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba file creation date - SMB ; Hi, I have noticed that if you copy a file to a server running Windows 2000 the creation date of the copy is the same as the one in the original file, while if you copy to a server running ...

  1. Samba file creation date

    Hi,

    I have noticed that if you copy a file to a server running Windows 2000 the
    creation date of the copy is the same as the one in the original file, while
    if you copy to a server running Samba the creation date is set to current
    date.

    Does anyone know if Samba can be forced to work in the same way as Windows ?
    I use Samba 2.0.6

    Regards

    Udo

  2. Re: Samba file creation date

    Udo Taubert wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have noticed that if you copy a file to a server running Windows 2000 the
    > creation date of the copy is the same as the one in the original file, while
    > if you copy to a server running Samba the creation date is set to current
    > date.
    >
    > Does anyone know if Samba can be forced to work in the same way as Windows ?
    > I use Samba 2.0.6

    Short answer is: No, Samba cannot be forced to work the same way Windows does.

    Longer answer: Samba stores files in the native filesystem of the platform
    it runs on; in a typical Unix installation of Samba, this will be a unixish
    filesystem. Unixish filesystems do not store the "creation date" of files.
    Thus Samba does not store, in the filesystem, the "creation date" of the
    file. It /could/ keep a metadata store of things like "creation date", but I
    believe that v2.0 of Samba does not do so.