xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem - SMB

This is a discussion on xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem - SMB ; I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines. I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years. I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet. I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet. I ...

  1. xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.

    I have changed the registry so:
    requiresignorseal = 0
    and
    requiresecurechannel = 0
    and rebooted.

    and

    Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP is set.

    I have two XP machines one with NETBEUI install and one without
    NETBEUI installed
    the one with NETBEUI installed can onyt see machines with NETBEUI
    install in the network places (no samba servers)
    and the XP machine without NETBEUI installed gets the following error
    when trying to enter the domain:

    "Mydomain is not accessiable. You might not have permission to use
    this netowkr resource. Contact the administrator of
    this server to find out if you have permissions.

    The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

    There is a 2000 machine running just fine on this subnet.

    SAMBA SERVERS:

    1st Machine): SOL001

    here's the smb.conf of the domain master browse (wins server) -
    192.9.200.252

    [global]
    log file = /tmp/samba/log
    lock directory = /tmp/samba
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 75
    wins support = yes
    security = USER
    [homes]
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    [tmp]
    path = /usr/local/tmp
    writable = yes
    read only = no

    2nd Machine): SOL002

    Here is the smb.conf of the subnet machine - 192.9.220.103
    (This samba server is working fine)

    [global]
    log file = /tmp/samba/log
    lock directory = /tmp/samba/lock
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    local master = yes
    domain master = no
    preferred master = yes
    wins server = 192.9.200.252
    os level = 50
    security = USER
    [homes]
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no
    [tmp3]
    path = /usr/local/tmp3
    writable = yes
    read only = no

    3rd Machine): SOL003

    Here's the smb.con of the new subnet machine - 192.9.206.12
    (this is the samba server I am having problems with the XP machines)

    [global]
    log file = /tmp/samba/log
    lock directory = /tmp/samba/lock
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    local master = yes
    domain master = no
    preferred master = yes
    wins server = 192.9.200.252
    os level = 65
    security = USER
    [homes]
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no
    [tmp]
    path = /usr/local/tmp
    writable = yes
    read only = no

  2. Re: xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    "Linda" wrote in message
    news:1f8cc34.0311031040.15c69b33@posting.google.co m...
    > I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    > I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    > I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    > I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.

    That's interesting 'cos I try to work over 2 IP subnets and it's not working
    if I do not put 2 network cards in the server (or give the card a double IP
    = network alias)

    Plse explain ?

    I though that samba as such was not working over IP subnets unless having a
    PDC setup for each subnet ?

  3. Re: xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    Linda wrote:

    > I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    > I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    > I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    > I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.
    >
    > I have changed the registry so:
    > requiresignorseal = 0
    > and
    > requiresecurechannel = 0
    > and rebooted.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP is set.
    >
    > I have two XP machines one with NETBEUI install and one without
    > NETBEUI installed
    > the one with NETBEUI installed can onyt see machines with NETBEUI
    > install in the network places (no samba servers)
    > and the XP machine without NETBEUI installed gets the following error
    > when trying to enter the domain:
    >
    > "Mydomain is not accessiable. You might not have permission to use
    > this netowkr resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have permissions.
    >
    > The account is not authorized to log in from this station."
    >

    > There is a 2000 machine running just fine on this subnet.

    SNIP...

    Hi Linda,

    turn off NETBEUI! It screws up your communication with the samba server.

    Jochen

  4. Re: xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    "imbsysop" wrote in message news:...
    > "Linda" wrote in message
    > news:1f8cc34.0311031040.15c69b33@posting.google.co m...
    > > I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    > > I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    > > I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    > > I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.

    > That's interesting 'cos I try to work over 2 IP subnets and it's not working
    > if I do not put 2 network cards in the server (or give the card a double IP
    > = network alias)
    >
    > Plse explain ?
    >
    > I though that samba as such was not working over IP subnets unless having a
    > PDC setup for each subnet ?

    You need to look at my SMB.conf files.
    I have had this subnet working for a while.
    One machine is the domain master and the wins server.
    the other ones are the local master and will point to the wins server

  5. Re: xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    Jochen Eggemann wrote in message news:...
    > Linda wrote:
    >
    > > I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    > > I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    > > I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    > > I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.
    > >
    > > I have changed the registry so:
    > > requiresignorseal = 0
    > > and
    > > requiresecurechannel = 0
    > > and rebooted.
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP is set.
    > >
    > > I have two XP machines one with NETBEUI install and one without
    > > NETBEUI installed
    > > the one with NETBEUI installed can onyt see machines with NETBEUI
    > > install in the network places (no samba servers)
    > > and the XP machine without NETBEUI installed gets the following error
    > > when trying to enter the domain:
    > >
    > > "Mydomain is not accessiable. You might not have permission to use
    > > this netowkr resource. Contact the administrator of
    > > this server to find out if you have permissions.
    > >
    > > The account is not authorized to log in from this station."
    > >

    > > There is a 2000 machine running just fine on this subnet.
    > >

    > SNIP...
    >
    > Hi Linda,
    >
    > turn off NETBEUI! It screws up your communication with the samba server.
    >
    > Jochen

    Jochen,
    This isn't working rather I have NETBEUI on for off.

    any other ideas?
    Linda

  6. Re: xp machines and samab 2.2.8a problem

    In article <1f8cc34.0311040645.6f93b5fd@posting.google.com>,
    lindan@analyticinnovations.com says...
    > Jochen Eggemann wrote in message news:...
    > > Linda wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am running Samba 2.2.8a on solaris 5.7 machines.
    > > > I have had 2 subnet working just fine for years.
    > > > I'm trying to add a 3rd subnet.
    > > > I am having a problem with my XP machines on a third subnet.
    > > >
    > > > I have changed the registry so:
    > > > requiresignorseal = 0
    > > > and
    > > > requiresecurechannel = 0
    > > > and rebooted.
    > > >
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP is set.
    > > >
    > > > I have two XP machines one with NETBEUI install and one without
    > > > NETBEUI installed
    > > > the one with NETBEUI installed can onyt see machines with NETBEUI
    > > > install in the network places (no samba servers)
    > > > and the XP machine without NETBEUI installed gets the following error
    > > > when trying to enter the domain:
    > > >
    > > > "Mydomain is not accessiable. You might not have permission to use
    > > > this netowkr resource. Contact the administrator of
    > > > this server to find out if you have permissions.

    > > > The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

    This error message implies that you are not using encrypted passwords.

    You need to have in [global]
    encrypt passwords = Yes

    Another tip, drop the netbeui, Samba nor Linx support netbeui. also
    netbeui does not route over networks.
    --
    Regards,
    Mark