Partitionning - SMB

This is a discussion on Partitionning - SMB ; Hello, I have a question regarding the installation of Samba 3 as file server. I'm installing Red Hat 8.0 on a Compaq Proliant ML 350 G3 server (RAID 5 - 3x36.4G) with 72 Go Space disk. The server is destinated ...

  1. Partitionning

    Hello,

    I have a question regarding the installation of Samba 3 as file server.

    I'm installing Red Hat 8.0 on a Compaq Proliant ML 350 G3 server (RAID 5
    - 3x36.4G) with 72 Go Space disk. The server is destinated to become
    our new domain controler and file server (clients are windows 9x-2k-Xp,
    linux, Macintosh 9 & X).

    I'm wondering what is the best partitionning for the disk space. Should
    I use the default architecture of Red Hat Disk Druid, should I use only
    a swap of 1g, a system space of 8 G and the rest for a volume called
    /mnt/share (for example) ?

    I don't know if this important, but I believe that a adapted partition
    could help exploitation. Maybe i'm wrong, who could tell me what's best ?

    Thank to all

    Simon

  2. Re: Partitionning

    Simon,

    Since I'm a total numbskull when it comes to figuring out partitions I've
    always let Disk Druid figure out the partitioning. I've built a number of
    RedHat boxes and have never had to make any changes to the partitioning scheme
    Disk Druid created. So far it hasn't been a problem.

    Bill in Sacramento...
    Bill in Sacramento, CA....

  3. Re: Partitionning

    "Simon" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a question regarding the installation of Samba 3 as file server.
    >
    > I'm installing Red Hat 8.0 on a Compaq Proliant ML 350 G3 server (RAID 5
    > - 3x36.4G) with 72 Go Space disk. The server is destinated to become
    > our new domain controler and file server (clients are windows 9x-2k-Xp,
    > linux, Macintosh 9 & X).
    >
    > I'm wondering what is the best partitionning for the disk space. Should
    > I use the default architecture of Red Hat Disk Druid, should I use only
    > a swap of 1g, a system space of 8 G and the rest for a volume called
    > /mnt/share (for example) ?
    >
    > I don't know if this important, but I believe that a adapted partition
    > could help exploitation. Maybe i'm wrong, who could tell me what's best ?
    >
    > Thank to all
    >
    > Simon

    I just setup my system with a software RAID5 and mirrored (RAID1) volume. I
    used two 40GB and two 80GB IDE drives. Each drive is on it's own IDE channel
    (Promise TX2 ATA100 cards). I had the 40's and added the 80's if you're
    wondering. The RAID5 is 40+40+40+40 with the mirrored volume is the
    remainder 40+40. The / is on the mirrored volume (RedHat boots to a mirrored
    volume) and /home is on the RAID5. I also partitioned 256MB off each drive
    for SWAP. I understand that Linux does striping if the SWAP is on different
    drives so there are speed benefits to putting the SWAP on several drives.

    Given that, the default Druid partition scheme just wouldn't work with my
    system.

    If I had your system, I would partition off something (384GB ?) from every
    drive for the SWAP (if possible), RAID5 the rest with one partition for /.
    The problem with partitioning bits and pieces is that you may end up with
    unused space on one and be short space on another. I guess the other
    question is, are there any speed benefits with smaller partitions ?

+ Reply to Thread