Slow network access Unix - XP - SMB

This is a discussion on Slow network access Unix - XP - SMB ; I have a home network with one Sinix server (rm 200 with samba 1.9.17) and some M$ PC (98, NT and XP Sp1) In run a program accessing share on samba server, response time is very fast with Win98 and ...

  1. Slow network access Unix - XP

    I have a home network with one Sinix server (rm 200 with samba 1.9.17) and
    some M$ PC (98, NT and XP Sp1)
    In run a program accessing share on samba server, response time is very fast
    with Win98 and NT PC < 1sec to refresh page
    Same program on XP takes more than 10 seconds to do the same Job.
    I am working hard on this problem to find a solution, upgrading samba to
    2.0.3 (last version on sinix available), applying some patch to XP box to
    resolve 'Slow network access on share', but nothing is a good solution, its
    the same. I read that the SMB protocol on XP is not the same as on WIN98 and
    the Samba 3.0 is the solution !

    Sometimes, I access this network over a T1 line and the refresh is very,
    very slow with XP.

    Some informations to investigate are welcome !

    Thanks to all
    --
    Francis

  2. Re: Slow network access Unix - XP

    In article <3f9ef0f0$0$16228$ba620e4c@reader3.news.skynet.be>,
    f.goblet@pi.be says...
    > I have a home network with one Sinix server (rm 200 with samba 1.9.17) and
    > some M$ PC (98, NT and XP Sp1)
    > In run a program accessing share on samba server, response time is very fast
    > with Win98 and NT PC < 1sec to refresh page
    > Same program on XP takes more than 10 seconds to do the same Job.
    > I am working hard on this problem to find a solution, upgrading samba to
    > 2.0.3 (last version on sinix available), applying some patch to XP box to
    > resolve 'Slow network access on share', but nothing is a good solution, its
    > the same. I read that the SMB protocol on XP is not the same as on WIN98 and
    > the Samba 3.0 is the solution !

    XP uses TCP/IP, SMB just like win98 does, however I am sure there are
    some changes (new, updated) in the coding that XP uses, but it is
    compatible with all flvours of operating systems. You might want to ask
    Bill Gates for the source code.....:-)

    I don't know much about Sinx, however Samba 2.x version is at 2.2.8. XP
    does NOT play well with earlier versions of Samba, this includes the
    version (2.0.3) that you want to upgrade to.
    Upgrading to Samba 3.0 might be your best overall bet...if it is
    alvailable for Sinix.

    > Sometimes, I access this network over a T1 line and the refresh is very,
    > very slow with XP.

    Usually with XP, the biggest problem with slow network access is caused
    by having the web client service running. Disabling this service results
    in much improved speed of XP accessing network resources.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

  3. Re: Slow network access Unix - XP

    Web client has been removed and I have checked may suggestions found in
    newsgroup but still the same.
    My network is based on TCP/IP addressing and 100 Mbits network no PDC, BDC,
    Wins, only fixed IP defined in hosts file.
    What is strange, is the thousands of user's that use samba server and XP
    without too many complaints about the product !

    What about a NAS server in the same configuration !

    "Mark" a écrit dans le message news:
    MPG.1a089c0a6b095fe4989774@192.168.0.203...
    > In article <3f9ef0f0$0$16228$ba620e4c@reader3.news.skynet.be>,
    > f.goblet@pi.be says...
    > > I have a home network with one Sinix server (rm 200 with samba 1.9.17)

    and
    > > some M$ PC (98, NT and XP Sp1)
    > > In run a program accessing share on samba server, response time is very

    fast
    > > with Win98 and NT PC < 1sec to refresh page
    > > Same program on XP takes more than 10 seconds to do the same Job.
    > > I am working hard on this problem to find a solution, upgrading samba to
    > > 2.0.3 (last version on sinix available), applying some patch to XP box

    > > resolve 'Slow network access on share', but nothing is a good solution,

    its
    > > the same. I read that the SMB protocol on XP is not the same as on WIN98

    and
    > > the Samba 3.0 is the solution !

    > XP uses TCP/IP, SMB just like win98 does, however I am sure there are
    > some changes (new, updated) in the coding that XP uses, but it is
    > compatible with all flvours of operating systems. You might want to ask
    > Bill Gates for the source code.....:-)
    >
    > I don't know much about Sinx, however Samba 2.x version is at 2.2.8. XP
    > does NOT play well with earlier versions of Samba, this includes the
    > version (2.0.3) that you want to upgrade to.
    > Upgrading to Samba 3.0 might be your best overall bet...if it is
    > alvailable for Sinix.
    >
    > > Sometimes, I access this network over a T1 line and the refresh is very,
    > > very slow with XP.

    > Usually with XP, the biggest problem with slow network access is caused
    > by having the web client service running. Disabling this service results
    > in much improved speed of XP accessing network resources.
    >
    > > Some informations to investigate are welcome !
    > >
    > > Thanks to all
    > > --
    > > Francis

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Mark
    >
    > Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    > My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

  4. Re: Slow network access Unix - XP

    "Francis Goblet" wrote in message
    news:3fa01275$0$259$ba620e4c@reader1.news.skynet.b e...
    > Web client has been removed and I have checked may suggestions found in
    > newsgroup but still the same.
    > My network is based on TCP/IP addressing and 100 Mbits network no PDC,

    BDC,
    > Wins, only fixed IP defined in hosts file.
    > What is strange, is the thousands of user's that use samba server and XP
    > without too many complaints about the product !

    I saw an article on slow SMB connections from under XP in the Microsoft
    knowledge library .. cannot retrace the number though .. may you will find
    something in there ?

    FWIW

+ Reply to Thread