Samba TOO fast for raid - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba TOO fast for raid - SMB ; Hi samba guru's (guri?)- I've looked thru the group, docs and googled all over. Writing to a samba share on LSI (Megaraid 4i -- scsi:mega kernel module) (raid-5), 100Full connection is too fast and after a few hundred meg it ...

  1. Samba TOO fast for raid

    Hi samba guru's (guri?)-

    I've looked thru the group, docs and googled all over.

    Writing to a samba share on LSI (Megaraid 4i -- scsi:mega kernel module)
    (raid-5), 100Full connection is too fast and after a few hundred meg it will bog
    down and disconnect the client aborting transfer and leaving partial files.

    I have no problems writing (from same client, via samba) to a normal disk
    partition and then mv'ing files (via ssh terminal session). Obviously, mv from
    local drive has far more throughput than NIC, but it is able to handle the waits
    where samba can't.

    Nor, if copying data from USB drive on client, will I have trouble -- USB data
    rate is much slower.

    No problem with reads either.

    I don't know if it's not stating the logical drive correctly and overrunning the
    buffer, or if it's not telling the client (XP) to hold its horses correctly.

    I've looked at the logs, but did't see anything error-like.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Clint

  2. Re: Samba TOO fast for raid

    "Clint Grimes" wrote in message
    > Hi samba guru's (guri?)-
    >
    > I've looked thru the group, docs and googled all over.
    >
    > Writing to a samba share on LSI (Megaraid 4i -- scsi:mega kernel module)
    > (raid-5), 100Full connection is too fast and after a few hundred meg it

    will bog
    > down and disconnect the client aborting transfer and leaving partial

    files.

    > I have no problems writing (from same client, via samba) to a normal disk
    > partition and then mv'ing files (via ssh terminal session). Obviously, mv

    from
    > local drive has far more throughput than NIC, but it is able to handle the

    waits
    > where samba can't.
    >
    > Nor, if copying data from USB drive on client, will I have trouble -- USB

    data
    > rate is much slower.
    >
    > No problem with reads either.
    >
    > I don't know if it's not stating the logical drive correctly and

    overrunning the
    > buffer, or if it's not telling the client (XP) to hold its horses

    correctly.

    > I've looked at the logs, but did't see anything error-like.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > -Clint

    It sounds more like a network hardware problem. The fact that you can move
    it from one drive to the other on the same system probably means that the
    RAID5 is working properly. I've had problems with some 10Mb NICs connected
    to a 100Mb switch. You have a 100Mb card, but can your switch (hub) keep up
    ? Changing the NIC fixed the problem for me.

    Another thing about RAID5 is that it is stripped which gives it a faster
    access then a single drive. The RAID5 maybe too fast for the network rather
    than the network too fast for the RAID5.

  3. Re: Samba TOO fast for raid

    In article , m.marien says...

    >"Clint Grimes" wrote in message
    >> Hi samba guru's (guri?)-
    >>
    >> I've looked thru the group, docs and googled all over.
    >>
    >> Writing to a samba share on LSI (Megaraid 4i -- scsi:mega kernel module)
    >> (raid-5), 100Full connection is too fast and after a few hundred meg it

    >will bog
    >> down and disconnect the client aborting transfer and leaving partial

    >files.
    >>
    >> I have no problems writing (from same client, via samba) to a normal disk
    >> partition and then mv'ing files (via ssh terminal session). Obviously, mv

    >from
    >> local drive has far more throughput than NIC, but it is able to handle the

    >waits
    >> where samba can't.
    >>
    >> Nor, if copying data from USB drive on client, will I have trouble -- USB

    >data
    >> rate is much slower.
    >>
    >> No problem with reads either.
    >>
    >> I don't know if it's not stating the logical drive correctly and

    >overrunning the
    >> buffer, or if it's not telling the client (XP) to hold its horses

    >correctly.
    >>
    >> I've looked at the logs, but did't see anything error-like.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> -Clint
    >>

    >It sounds more like a network hardware problem. The fact that you can move
    >it from one drive to the other on the same system probably means that the
    >RAID5 is working properly. I've had problems with some 10Mb NICs connected
    >to a 100Mb switch. You have a 100Mb card, but can your switch (hub) keep up
    >? Changing the NIC fixed the problem for me.
    >
    >Another thing about RAID5 is that it is stripped which gives it a faster
    >access then a single drive. The RAID5 maybe too fast for the network rather
    >than the network too fast for the RAID5.

    Linksys gigabit switch, gigabit card on samba server (running 100 full, cause I
    can't find a debian driver for gigabit) Client 100 full, XP.

    Maybe I didn't explain it right, I can read any amount from the raid via samba,
    but writing boggs down ... the wait is (I think) too much for the client and it
    drops connection. Writing (same client) to a non raid share is no trouble.

    It's also possible that the client needs to be told to be more patient, but I
    don't know where to track that down either.

    Thanks,
    -Clint

+ Reply to Thread