Printing on Windows print shares - SMB

This is a discussion on Printing on Windows print shares - SMB ; Hi! Here at work, there is a win2000pro box that shares an HP LaserJet 2100 printer. All other Windows boxes in the same subnet can 'see' the printer and perform print jobs. I decided to set up my Redhat 9 ...

  1. Printing on Windows print shares

    Hi!
    Here at work, there is a win2000pro box that shares an HP LaserJet 2100
    printer. All other Windows boxes in the same subnet can 'see' the
    printer and perform print jobs.
    I decided to set up my Redhat 9 linux workstation to use that printer ,
    so after installing all the necessary samba* packages (CUPS already
    installed there), i tried to do smbclient -L PLUTO -N and i get:

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------

    As you can see I do not get any shares of type Printer.
    I verified that this is the linux client's problem by listing the shares
    of another windows machine that shares a printer with the same result.
    I checked both windows machines, the printers are shared correctly with
    valid share names.
    I browsed the printer share , and it seems that it contains some windows
    drivers inside there that do not look that useful for my case.
    I have never dealt with sharing printers before so this issue is new to
    me...

    Can anyone give me any hints?

    -dimitris

  2. Re: Printing on Windows print shares

    Dimitris Ginosatis wrote:

    > Hi!
    > Here at work, there is a win2000pro box that shares an HP LaserJet 2100
    > printer. All other Windows boxes in the same subnet can 'see' the
    > printer and perform print jobs.
    > I decided to set up my Redhat 9 linux workstation to use that printer ,
    > so after installing all the necessary samba* packages (CUPS already
    > installed there), i tried to do smbclient -L PLUTO -N and i get:
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    > print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    > ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    > C$ Disk Default share
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    >

    > As you can see I do not get any shares of type Printer.
    > I verified that this is the linux client's problem by listing the
    > shares of another windows machine that shares a printer with the same
    > result. I checked both windows machines, the printers are shared
    > correctly with valid share names.
    > I browsed the printer share , and it seems that it contains some
    > windows drivers inside there that do not look that useful for my case.
    > I have never dealt with sharing printers before so this issue is new to
    > me...
    >
    > Can anyone give me any hints?

    Windows style printer sharing is crappy. But there's a solution: install
    the "print services for unix" on your 2K (included, control
    panel-software) and you can point your CUPS to a remote lpd server just
    like another unix box would be.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [2.4.22-18mdkcustom/Athlon]

+ Reply to Thread