smbd on the serveur side alwayse re-read what was written - SMB

This is a discussion on smbd on the serveur side alwayse re-read what was written - SMB ; Let's say you have smbd running into a server and you write a big file into a share from a client computer. We can then see that smbd is writing the file into the server by looking the server disk ...

  1. smbd on the serveur side alwayse re-read what was written

    Let's say you have smbd running into a server and you write a big file into
    a share from a client computer. We can then see that smbd is writing the
    file into the server by looking the server disk stats and the network
    interface that is showing activity in receive data from the client computer.

    When the file have completly been writen, we curiously found that smbd is
    then fully reading the file it just wrote and then after having completed
    the strange read, then the files times and dates information is updated.

    Is there anyone that can explaine to me why smb read the file it just write?

    We were just executing the dos copy command to copy a big file from a
    windows 2000 computer into a unix server! No, we didn't specify /v param(for
    verify) with the dos copy command and readed file data doesn't come back to
    the windows computer as we didn't see traffic on the network interface to
    the client computer but see disk in reading megs/sec during a long period of
    time on the server!

    Extra question:
    Is there a way to disable this extra reading verification after write in
    samba?

    trembb22@hotmail.com

  2. Re: smbd on the serveur side alwayse re-read what was written

    In article , "Benoit Tremblay" wrote:
    >Let's say you have smbd running into a server and you write a big file into
    >a share from a client computer. We can then see that smbd is writing the
    >file into the server by looking the server disk stats and the network
    >interface that is showing activity in receive data from the client computer.
    >

    >Is there anyone that can explaine to me why smb read the file it just write?

    .. I seem to recall that this is standard computer behaviour ? called read
    after write .. correct me if I'm wrong ..

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

  3. Re: smbd on the serveur side alwayse re-read what was written

    My experience with exporting NFS, AFS and DFS and monioring read and write
    activity show me that samba is the only one I know that does read after
    write by default without any know parameters to change that behaviour.

    So that's why I am asking here if there are samba's developpers around that
    could explaine to me that behavior?

    thanks for your feedback

    Benoit

    Tremblay" wrote:
    > >Let's say you have smbd running into a server and you write a big file

    into
    > >a share from a client computer. We can then see that smbd is writing the
    > >file into the server by looking the server disk stats and the network
    > >interface that is showing activity in receive data from the client

    computer.

    > >Is there anyone that can explaine to me why smb read the file it just

    write?

    > . I seem to recall that this is standard computer behaviour ? called read
    > after write .. correct me if I'm wrong ..
    >
    > --
    > remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread