Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account - SMB

This is a discussion on Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account - SMB ; Hi, Is it possible to Connect w2k clients without using the root account ? I see that there is domain admin group solution but the account in this list have admin rights if Samba is PDC. Is there an other ...

  1. Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account

    Hi,

    Is it possible to Connect w2k clients without using the root account ?
    I see that there is domain admin group solution but the account in this list
    have admin rights if Samba is PDC.

    Is there an other solution without giving root access ?

    thanks

  2. Re: Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account

    "Isma" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to Connect w2k clients without using the root account ?
    > I see that there is domain admin group solution but the account in this

    list
    > have admin rights if Samba is PDC.
    >
    > Is there an other solution without giving root access ?

    as far as I understand the docs (at least for Samba 2.2.x) the primary
    connect to register the workstation to the domain must be done as root.
    Apparently this is a "hidden feature" :-) No idea how this works in 3.0
    But it is the only time you need root access. All subsequent connects go at
    "user" level ..
    HTH ?

  3. Re: Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "Isma" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to Connect w2k clients without using the root account ?
    >>I see that there is domain admin group solution but the account in this

    > list
    >
    >>have admin rights if Samba is PDC.
    >>
    >>Is there an other solution without giving root access ?

    > as far as I understand the docs (at least for Samba 2.2.x) the primary
    > connect to register the workstation to the domain must be done as root.
    > Apparently this is a "hidden feature" :-) No idea how this works in 3.0
    > But it is the only time you need root access. All subsequent connects go at
    > "user" level ..

    However, the smbpasswd *root* account used to add the machine to the
    Samba domain need not (and shouldn't) have the same password as the
    /etc/password root account.

  4. Re: Connect w2k clients in a domain without using the root account

    In article , bendy wrote:
    >imbsysop wrote:
    >> "Isma" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to Connect w2k clients without using the root account ?
    >>>I see that there is domain admin group solution but the account in this

    >> list
    >>
    >>>have admin rights if Samba is PDC.
    >>>
    >>>Is there an other solution without giving root access ?

    >> as far as I understand the docs (at least for Samba 2.2.x) the primary
    >> connect to register the workstation to the domain must be done as root.
    >> Apparently this is a "hidden feature" :-) No idea how this works in 3.0
    >> But it is the only time you need root access. All subsequent connects go at
    >> "user" level ..

    >However, the smbpasswd *root* account used to add the machine to the
    >Samba domain need not (and shouldn't) have the same password as the
    >/etc/password root account.

    I guess not but if one uses passwd linux/smb sync then how to get aroundthe
    "two" different passwords ? (aka Linux root & smbpasswd root)

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread