Help with basic share on home network with Samba 3 - SMB

This is a discussion on Help with basic share on home network with Samba 3 - SMB ; Hi People, I succesfully downloaded the source files for SAMBA 3 and compliled it all correctly on my Mandrake 9.1 box. Even got swat working. The problem is I can't set up a basic share for my two Win XP ...

  1. Help with basic share on home network with Samba 3

    Hi People,

    I succesfully downloaded the source files for SAMBA 3 and compliled it all
    correctly on my Mandrake 9.1 box. Even got swat working. The problem is I
    can't set up a basic share for my two Win XP Pro boxes to read and write to.
    I don't want to have to use logins or password to connect to the share and
    have fiddled with setting "security" to USER and SHARE aswell as using
    unencypted passwords but keep getting "//server not accessible. You might
    not have permissions blah blah..." when browsing the SAMBA server from Win
    XP.

    Could some one give me a sample smb.conf file I can modify to have this very
    basic share? I'm at the end of my teather with researching this.

    Many thanks in advance.

    John

  2. Re: Help with basic share on home network with Samba 3

    In article <3f966aa4$0$21652$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    paranor@optusnet.com.au says...
    > Hi People,
    >
    > I succesfully downloaded the source files for SAMBA 3 and compliled it all
    > correctly on my Mandrake 9.1 box. Even got swat working. The problem is I
    > can't set up a basic share for my two Win XP Pro boxes to read and write to.

    Show us this share...actually your whole smb.conf.

    > I don't want to have to use logins or password to connect to the share and
    > have fiddled with setting "security" to USER and SHARE aswell as using

    Fiddling does not provide a good end result when dealing with issues
    such as this. Take it one good working step at a time.

    > unencypted passwords but keep getting "//server not accessible. You might
    > not have permissions blah blah..." when browsing the SAMBA server from Win
    > XP.

    By default XP uses encrypted passwords. Samba 3.0 by default uses
    encypted passwords

    > Could some one give me a sample smb.conf file I can modify to have this very
    > basic share? I'm at the end of my teather with researching this.

    Why don't you post your smb.conf, otherwise the guessing game of your
    mystery share will continue....

    Also see my webpage for help

    --
    Regards,