nmbd ping problem - SMB

This is a discussion on nmbd ping problem - SMB ; hi, i have smb+nmbd setup on redhat server, the server acts as wins server (wins support=yes). i think my prob is already known, but i don't find a solution yet. i can use the samba shares, i can browse the ...

  1. nmbd ping problem

    hi,

    i have smb+nmbd setup on redhat server, the server acts as wins server
    (wins support=yes).
    i think my prob is already known, but i don't find a solution yet.

    i can use the samba shares, i can browse the net and can ping from
    win->linux,
    but (using dynamic ip) i cannot ping the windows machines from the
    linux box.

    i DON'T want to use hosts file (because of dyn ip), i even don't want
    to resolve it by using dns on redhat,
    so has anyone a tip for me how i can get linux ping the win client.

    nmblookup -B redhat __SAMBA__ works
    nmblookup -B client '*' only finds the sambaserver, although in
    /var/cache/samba/wins.dat the client is included.
    nmblookup winsclient works.

    any help would be appreciated.

    regards, wolf

  2. Re: nmbd ping problem

    In article <6d3dadb6.0310220312.5ae60f1@posting.google.com>, perl@smk-
    gmbh.de says...
    > hi,
    >
    > i have smb+nmbd setup on redhat server, the server acts as wins server
    > (wins support=yes).
    > i think my prob is already known, but i don't find a solution yet.
    >
    > i can use the samba shares, i can browse the net and can ping from
    > win->linux,
    > but (using dynamic ip) i cannot ping the windows machines from the
    > linux box.
    >
    > i DON'T want to use hosts file (because of dyn ip), i even don't want
    > to resolve it by using dns on redhat,

    What does having a dynamic ip have to do with putting a local network
    entry in the hosts file?? Are you running Linux on an internet accesible
    pc with Samba and only one network card?? If you do not want use DNS
    then your options are nil AND your reasonings are flawed....

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

  3. Re: nmbd ping problem

    > What does having a dynamic ip have to do with putting a local network
    > entry in the hosts file?? Are you running Linux on an internet accesible
    > pc with Samba and only one network card?? If you do not want use DNS
    > then your options are nil AND your reasonings are flawed....

    ok, i use redhat with samba3.0 as fileserver, pdc and dhcpserver for
    the local lan and the win clients get their ips from dhcp server, so
    the ip's vary.
    my question has nothing to do with the internet connection.

    i only want to know how i can implement samba with nmbd in order to
    make ping from the redhat server to the win clients work. the pdc,
    fileserver and browsing works very well with samba and nmbd, but no
    pings from linux->win work.

    i have bind working on that server to establish name resolution for
    the local lan.

    so only thing i want to know is why i can't ping from linux->win.
    and how can i establish it, how to get it working with dns?

    regards, wolf

  4. Re: nmbd ping problem

    Wolf,

    It could be the firewall on the Linux box is blocking the ICMP messages from
    going out of your server or the firewall is blocking the ICMP reply from the
    Windows box. The ping may be going out but the reply may be blocked.

    Check your iptables rules to see if that could be the problem (iptables --list)
    .. You could also temporarily turn off iptables and try pinging again. If it
    works then the problem is with the replies being blocked by the firewall. You
    can turn off iptables by typing the following (this works on Red Hat):
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop. To start iptables up again type
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start.

    I don't remember from your 1st post if the Windows machines can ping the Linux
    box or not.

    Bill in Sacramento California...
    Bill in Sacramento, CA....

+ Reply to Thread