Samba to XP over openvpn - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba to XP over openvpn - SMB ; I have an openvpn connection from the office (linux) to a worker's home (Windows XP). If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the XP machine I can connect through no problem so the connection is fine ...

  1. Samba to XP over openvpn

    I have an openvpn connection from the office (linux) to a worker's home
    (Windows XP). If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the XP
    machine I can connect through no problem so the connection is fine in that
    direction. The XP machine can also connect to other Windows machines in
    the office via tightVNC so the connection works in that direction too.

    However when I try to get a list of the shares on the XP machine I get
    this:

    smbclient -L //10.3.0.6
    added interface ip=10.0.0.11 bcast=10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
    error connecting to 10.3.0.6:139 (Connection refused)
    Error connecting to 10.3.0.6 (Connection refused)
    Connection to 10.3.0.6 failed

    Sharing is on on the XP system and I've tried the above without the '//'
    but it makes no difference.

    Nmap shows that only ports 135 and 389 are open. How do I get 139 to open?
    Or is there a deeper problem?

    TWW

  2. Re: Samba to XP over openvpn

    Thomas Worthington wrote:

    > I have an openvpn connection from the office (linux) to a worker's home
    > (Windows XP). If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the XP
    > machine I can connect through no problem so the connection is fine in that
    > direction. The XP machine can also connect to other Windows machines in
    > the office via tightVNC so the connection works in that direction too.
    >
    > However when I try to get a list of the shares on the XP machine I get
    > this:
    >
    > smbclient -L //10.3.0.6
    > added interface ip=10.0.0.11 bcast=10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
    > error connecting to 10.3.0.6:139 (Connection refused)
    > Error connecting to 10.3.0.6 (Connection refused)
    > Connection to 10.3.0.6 failed

    Different network segments. SMB works only on the same segment; silly
    really, but complain to Bill.

    Eric.

  3. Re: Samba to XP over openvpn

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:08:53 +0100, Eric wrote:

    > Thomas Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> I have an openvpn connection from the office (linux) to a worker's home
    >> (Windows XP). If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the
    >> XP
    >> machine I can connect through no problem so the connection is fine in
    >> that
    >> direction. The XP machine can also connect to other Windows machines in
    >> the office via tightVNC so the connection works in that direction too.
    >>
    >> However when I try to get a list of the shares on the XP machine I get
    >> this:
    >>
    >> smbclient -L //10.3.0.6
    >> added interface ip=10.0.0.11 bcast=10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
    >> error connecting to 10.3.0.6:139 (Connection refused)
    >> Error connecting to 10.3.0.6 (Connection refused)
    >> Connection to 10.3.0.6 failed

    > Different network segments. SMB works only on the same segment; silly
    > really, but complain to Bill.
    >
    > Eric.

    Hmmm. I already have a home worker set up and they are sharing printers
    with the office machines. The office machines are 10.0.x.x while the home
    worker is 192.168.x.x HOWEVER, the existing home worker is using Linux.
    So, if what you say is correct, samba on Linux can support multiple
    network segments but smb under XP can't which seems plausible but would
    really ruin my day!

    In case you are wondering: the set up is that the worker uses her Linux
    machine to access her Windows machine in the office via VNC/VPN to run
    QuickBooks, and when she prints the printing is sent (using the Adobe
    generic PostScript driver) across the Samba network to her Linux print
    server at home where Foomatic converts it into PCL6 or whatever and sends
    it to her Brother HL-1250. Simple! I assumed XP would be able to do the
    same. In fact, I'd rather banked on it.

    TW

  4. Re: Samba to XP over openvpn

    Hi,

    > If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the XP

    Is this the XP builtin firewall or a third party one. - You must make sure
    you disable the XP bit of the firewall because it specifically prohibits
    this kind of thing (IIRC).
    - SMB does work across subnets. - It works better if you have WINS set up.
    Make sure that your vpn connetion is tunneling broadcast traffic. - Should
    only be required for browsing without WINS, but /may/ be making a
    difference. (Although I doubt it and hope not. :-))

    Regards,
    @ndy

    --
    andyjpb@ashurst.eu.org
    http://www.ashurst.eu.org/

  5. Re: Samba to XP over openvpn

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:57:16 +0100, Andy Bennett
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> If I drop the firewall and start the telnet server on the XP

    > Is this the XP builtin firewall or a third party one. - You must make
    > sure
    > you disable the XP bit of the firewall because it specifically prohibits
    > this kind of thing (IIRC).

    It's the built-in.

    > - SMB does work across subnets. - It works better if you have WINS set
    > up.
    > Make sure that your vpn connetion is tunneling broadcast traffic. -
    > Should
    > only be required for browsing without WINS, but /may/ be making a
    > difference. (Although I doubt it and hope not. :-))

    I've brought the XP machine home and it is not browsing my Samba network
    or vice-versa here so something more fundamental seems to be wrong (I have
    set the workgroup name!).

    I'll poke aroud a bit more and see what happens.

    TWW

+ Reply to Thread