problem with username in capital letters - SMB

This is a discussion on problem with username in capital letters - SMB ; My question: Does samba 3.0.0 test user names both in capital letters and in small letters? In: [EC] (Eckstein/Collier-Brown in: Samba. O'Reilly), p.178 they say, that this is done in order to understands clients, which transmit usernames only in capital ...

  1. problem with username in capital letters

    My question:
    Does samba 3.0.0 test user names both in capital letters and in small
    letters?

    In: [EC] (Eckstein/Collier-Brown in: Samba. O'Reilly), p.178
    they say, that this is done in order to understands clients,
    which transmit usernames only in capital letters.

    So I wonder, why I can't connect to samba by calling
    net use * \\\temp
    from a DOS-Box (under Win98) on a client, on which I logged in
    as a known samba user.

    ***********************************

    This is, what I do:

    The smb.conf is a minimal one (cf. [EC] p.292):

    [global]
    workgroup = BEISPIEL
    security = user
    browseable = yes
    local master = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    log level = 3

    [homes]
    guest ok = no
    browseable = no

    [temp]
    path = /tmp
    public = yes

    Now, calling net use * \\\temp

    I get (translated by me):
    "The password for \\\temp is not valid.
    Get more informations from your network administrator."

    Then I'm asked for a password, which doesn't work either.

    Looking at the SMB-packet with ethereal, I see, that the
    user name is transmitted in capital letters, like "USER".

    Looking at log.smbd, I see:
    "Couldn't find "USER" in passdb file.

    I suppose, this means, that smbd couldn't find an entry
    for "USER" in smbpasswd (since there only small letters
    are allowed for user names).

    This doesn't change, if I force samba with "username level = 6"
    to try all combinations of capital and small letters.

    What is going wrong?

    Thanks for reading this stuff.
    Thomas Lauer.

  2. Re: problem with username in capital letters

    "Thomas Lauer" wrote in message
    > My question:
    > Does samba 3.0.0 test user names both in capital letters and in small
    > letters?
    >
    > In: [EC] (Eckstein/Collier-Brown in: Samba. O'Reilly), p.178
    > they say, that this is done in order to understands clients,
    > which transmit usernames only in capital letters.
    >
    > So I wonder, why I can't connect to samba by calling
    > net use * \\\temp
    > from a DOS-Box (under Win98) on a client, on which I logged in
    > as a known samba user.
    >
    > ***********************************
    >
    > This is, what I do:
    >
    > The smb.conf is a minimal one (cf. [EC] p.292):
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = BEISPIEL
    > security = user
    > browseable = yes
    > local master = yes
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > log level = 3
    >
    > [homes]
    > guest ok = no
    > browseable = no
    >
    > [temp]
    > path = /tmp
    > public = yes
    >
    > Now, calling net use * \\\temp
    >
    > I get (translated by me):
    > "The password for \\\temp is not valid.
    > Get more informations from your network administrator."
    >
    > Then I'm asked for a password, which doesn't work either.
    >
    > Looking at the SMB-packet with ethereal, I see, that the
    > user name is transmitted in capital letters, like "USER".
    >
    > Looking at log.smbd, I see:
    > "Couldn't find "USER" in passdb file.

    This maybe the problem. I think the default (when not specified) is

    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    for some reason your samba is using the passdb file. Use swat or testparm to
    list your smb.conf file to see what it's really using ?

    I tried your smb.conf (exactly as shown above) on my test system
    (RH7.3/Samba 3.0.0/Win98SE) and didn't get an error ??

    > I suppose, this means, that smbd couldn't find an entry
    > for "USER" in smbpasswd (since there only small letters
    > are allowed for user names).
    >
    > This doesn't change, if I force samba with "username level = 6"
    > to try all combinations of capital and small letters.
    >
    > What is going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for reading this stuff.
    > Thomas Lauer.

+ Reply to Thread