Samba without tcp/ip - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba without tcp/ip - SMB ; Hello, is it right that previous versions of samba (1997/1998) does not support tcp/ip? An administrator of a company told me that they have as samba version wich supports only NETBeui, but I can't belive that. I have tryed to ...

  1. Samba without tcp/ip

    Hello,
    is it right that previous versions of samba (1997/1998) does not
    support tcp/ip?
    An administrator of a company told me that they have as samba version
    wich supports only NETBeui, but I can't belive that.
    I have tryed to search for older samba versions without success.
    Thank you.

  2. Re: Samba without tcp/ip

    In article ,
    ralf.hientzsch@i-prog.de says...
    > Hello,
    > is it right that previous versions of samba (1997/1998) does not
    > support tcp/ip?
    > An administrator of a company told me that they have as samba version
    > wich supports only NETBeui, but I can't belive that.
    > I have tryed to search for older samba versions without success.
    > Thank you.

    IIRC, Samba has always used tcp/ip (I could be wrong). My question to
    you would be, why would you even consider such an old version, even if
    it was available? The old Samba versions are incompatible with almost
    all MODERN operating systems such as Windows 2000, and XP.
    I frankly do not consider Win98 and Win95 modern operating systems.

    I would also like to mention that any old software is obselete and
    contains many bugs that newer versions resolve.

    Now if you are lucky and there was a Samba version that did run on
    Netbuei, and you are using Linux, you are out of luck as Linux does not
    support Netbeui. This would involve compiling a kernel for Netbeui
    support.

    In short...You are much better of using a modern version of Samba.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com