I can't print with windows XP - SMB

This is a discussion on I can't print with windows XP - SMB ; Hi all, this is my problem; I hve a FreeBSD server with a printer attached to it. I am trying to make it possible with the other computers (Windows XP Professional) to print using the printer attached to the FreeBSD ...

  1. I can't print with windows XP

    Hi all,

    this is my problem; I hve a FreeBSD server with a printer attached to
    it. I am trying to make it possible with the other computers (Windows
    XP Professional) to print using the printer attached to the FreeBSD
    server with samba. Everything works fine, but when I want to print
    from windows appears the message cannot print, acces to the printer
    denied. My smb.conf file looks like this:

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
    # Date: 2003/10/15 21:57:43

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    path = /var/spool/cups
    dns proxy = No
    update encrypted = Yes
    security = SHARE
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    server string = Samba Server
    comment = lp0 an carlos
    netbios name = CARLOS
    log file = /var/log/log.%m
    load printers = yes
    printer name = lp0
    max log size = 50

    [software]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/software
    read only = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = roger, Roger, carlosbuj
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [hp940c]
    comment = lp0
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = roger, Roger, carlosbuj
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    oplocks = No

    Note that I added the lines printer admin = but it is
    still not working.

    I use FreeBSD 5.1 release and samba-2.2.8a

    Any help wellcome!!! I am desperate!!!

    Thanks

  2. Re: I can't print with windows XP

    Carlos M. Buj Rinas wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > this is my problem; I hve a FreeBSD server with a printer attached to
    > it. I am trying to make it possible with the other computers (Windows
    > XP Professional) to print using the printer attached to the FreeBSD
    > server with samba. Everything works fine, but when I want to print
    > from windows appears the message cannot print, acces to the printer
    > denied. My smb.conf file looks like this:
    >

    > I use FreeBSD 5.1 release and samba-2.2.8a
    >
    > Any help wellcome!!! I am desperate!!!
    >
    > Thanks

    This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but....

    I've always found it *much* easier to connect windows clients to Unix
    printers via lpr, rather than Samba/SMB.
    WinNT/2k/XP Pro all include lpr as part of the OS, although it may not
    be installed by default...
    Doing it this way is simply a matter of allowing the "clients" to submit
    jobs via hosts.lpd, then installing the printer using an LPR port on the
    windows box. This has always worked for me, and has been more reliable
    than printing via a network share. Just my experience...I'm sure others
    have had much luck with Samba and printers.

    --
    - Matt -

  3. Re: I can't print with windows XP

    "Carlos M. Buj Rinas" a écrit :

    > Hi all,

    Hello

    > this is my problem; I hve a FreeBSD server with a printer attached to
    > it. I am trying to make it possible with the other computers (Windows
    > XP Professional) to print using the printer attached to the FreeBSD
    > server with samba. Everything works fine, but when I want to print
    > from windows appears the message cannot print, acces to the printer
    > denied. My smb.conf file looks like this:
    >
    > # Samba config file created using SWAT
    > # from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
    > # Date: 2003/10/15 21:57:43
    >
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > path = /var/spool/cups

    Try to remove this parameter first.

    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/samba

    Do you gave good rights on this directory ?

    > printer admin = roger, Roger, carlosbuj
    > guest ok = Yes
    > printable = Yes
    > browseable = No
    >
    > [hp940c]

    What 's the aim of this share ?? If you use "Load printers = YEs", All
    your printers will be available

    --
    Rémy CLAVERIE
    Cesium - Université de Metz