logons work but can't see home directories - SMB

This is a discussion on logons work but can't see home directories - SMB ; I wished to create a file server so I installed the Trustix 1.5 distro. Samba 2.2.8 is running with 3 win98se clients. All 3 clients can logon but can't see their respective home directories. Why? ===== smb.conf # Global parameters ...

  1. logons work but can't see home directories

    I wished to create a file server so I installed the Trustix 1.5
    distro. Samba 2.2.8 is running with 3 win98se clients. All 3 clients
    can logon but can't see their respective home directories. Why?

    =====
    smb.conf
    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = xxxxxGROUP
    server string = Trustix Samba Server
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
    max log size = 50
    name resolve order = host wins
    os level = 32
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    wins support = Yes

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = Yes
    browseable = No
    share modes = No
    ====
    ls -l /home
    total 40
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:02 ftp/
    drwx------ 3 Gary users 4096 Oct 15 15:45 Gary/
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:10 httpd/
    drwx------ 2 Jack users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Jack/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 16384 Oct 14 13:00 lost+found/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:12 samba/
    drwx------ 2 Scott users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Scott/
    ====

  2. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    low glow wrote:

    > I wished to create a file server so I installed the Trustix 1.5
    > distro. Samba 2.2.8 is running with 3 win98se clients. All 3 clients
    > can logon but can't see their respective home directories.

    What do you mean by _see_? They can't browse the home share? You've got
    the home share set to "browseable = no". You aren't pushing out a "logon
    home" or "logon drive" either, which would (should) automatically map a
    drive for the users logging on.
    Ben

    Why?

    > =====
    > smb.conf
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = xxxxxGROUP
    > server string = Trustix Samba Server
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
    > max log size = 50
    > name resolve order = host wins
    > os level = 32
    > preferred master = Yes
    > domain master = Yes
    > wins support = Yes
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > read only = No
    > browseable = No
    >
    > [netlogon]
    > comment = Network Logon Service
    > path = /home/samba/netlogon
    > guest ok = Yes
    > browseable = No
    > share modes = No
    > ====
    > ls -l /home
    > total 40
    > drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:02 ftp/
    > drwx------ 3 Gary users 4096 Oct 15 15:45 Gary/
    > drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:10 httpd/
    > drwx------ 2 Jack users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Jack/
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 16384 Oct 14 13:00 lost+found/
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:12 samba/
    > drwx------ 2 Scott users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Scott/
    > ====

  3. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:49:12 -0400, bendy wrote:

    >low glow wrote:
    >
    >> I wished to create a file server so I installed the Trustix 1.5
    >> distro. Samba 2.2.8 is running with 3 win98se clients. All 3 clients
    >> can logon but can't see their respective home directories.

    >What do you mean by _see_? They can't browse the home share? You've got

    After logging onto srvr, We just see a blank window. Just as a test if
    I made "browseable=yes" for [netlogon], then we can see that folder
    and open it.

    >the home share set to "browseable = no". You aren't pushing out a "logon

    The home share is supposed to be set to "browseable=no" from
    everything that I've read.

    >home" or "logon drive" either, which would (should) automatically map a
    >drive for the users logging on.
    >Ben
    >
    >Why?

    Because I'm not set up for roaming profiles and see no need for it in
    our case.
    Pg. 141 _Using Samba_, Second Edition:

    "... we recommend you do not use, at least you are sure you understand
    roaming profiles ...".

    "Under no circumstances should you attempt to implement roaming
    profiles in a careless or frivoulous way."

    >> =====
    >> smb.conf
    >> # Global parameters
    >> [global]
    >> workgroup = xxxxxGROUP
    >> server string = Trustix Samba Server
    >> encrypt passwords = Yes
    >> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
    >> max log size = 50
    >> name resolve order = host wins
    >> os level = 32
    >> preferred master = Yes
    >> domain master = Yes
    >> wins support = Yes
    >>
    >> [homes]
    >> comment = Home Directories
    >> read only = No
    >> browseable = No
    >>
    >> [netlogon]
    >> comment = Network Logon Service
    >> path = /home/samba/netlogon
    >> guest ok = Yes
    >> browseable = No
    >> share modes = No
    >> ====
    >> ls -l /home
    >> total 40
    >> drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:02 ftp/
    >> drwx------ 3 Gary users 4096 Oct 15 15:45 Gary/
    >> drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:10 httpd/
    >> drwx------ 2 Jack users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Jack/
    >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 16384 Oct 14 13:00 lost+found/
    >> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:12 samba/
    >> drwx------ 2 Scott users 4096 Oct 14 13:13 Scott/
    >> ====

  4. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    low glow wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:49:12 -0400, bendy wrote:
    >

    >>low glow wrote:
    >>

    >>>I wished to create a file server so I installed the Trustix 1.5
    >>>distro. Samba 2.2.8 is running with 3 win98se clients. All 3 clients
    >>>can logon but can't see their respective home directories.

    >>What do you mean by _see_? They can't browse the home share? You've got

    > After logging onto srvr, We just see a blank window. Just as a test if
    > I made "browseable=yes" for [netlogon], then we can see that folder
    > and open it.

    If none of your shares are set to be browseable, you will not see
    anything when you open up a Windows Explorer window for that server.

    >>the home share set to "browseable = no". You aren't pushing out a "logon

    > The home share is supposed to be set to "browseable=no" from
    > everything that I've read.

    You can keep it hidden if you plan to autmatically connect your users to
    their home directory through a drive mapping. But you'd have to push out
    that setting. Also ( I just noticed this ) you need to have your home
    share actually point to a path on your filesystem or your network- i.e.

    [global]
    logon home = \\%L\homes\%u
    logon drive = H:

    [homes]
    path = /home/%u
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    ....these setting would make it so a NT/2K/XP user would get an h: drive
    mapped in Windows Explorer to their home directory on the server.

    If your clients are 98/Me, then you'd want to make the homes share
    browsable so they could map the drives manually ( or just have desktop
    shorcuts to \\server\homes).

    > Because I'm not set up for roaming profiles and see no need for it in
    > our case.
    > Pg. 141 _Using Samba_, Second Edition:

    Connecting users to their home directory is distinct from pushing out
    roaming profiles through the "logon path" parameter. Roaming profiles
    involves pushing a set of OS setting onto the client workstation, not
    just shareing data.

    Hope this makes things clearer,

    Ben

    --
    -+ Ben Donnelly --------------------------------------------
    | System Administrator Nicholas School of the Environment
    | Duke University (919) 613-8128 www.env.duke.edu/it
    | A-138 LSRC Building Research Drive Durham, NC 27708
    -+------------------------------------------------------

  5. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:27:51 -0400, Ben Donnelly
    wrote:

    >You can keep it hidden if you plan to autmatically connect your users to
    >their home directory through a drive mapping. But you'd have to push out
    >that setting. Also ( I just noticed this ) you need to have your home
    >share actually point to a path on your filesystem or your network- i.e.
    >
    >[global]
    > logon home = \\%L\homes\%u
    > logon drive = H:

    I have been viewing smb.conf as root on the server and it doesn't show
    what options are set to default. I switched to using SWAT from my
    win98se client. In the advance view of [GLOBALS] it shows:

    logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
    logon drive =
    logon home = \\%N\%U

    I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks for
    your help. I'll post the complete smb.conf below.

    [global]
    coding system =
    client code page = 850
    code page directory = /etc/samba/codepages
    workgroup = xxxxxGROUP
    netbios name =
    netbios aliases =
    netbios scope =
    server string = Trustix Samba Server
    interfaces =
    bind interfaces only = No
    security = USER
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    update encrypted = No
    allow trusted domains = Yes
    hosts equiv =
    min passwd length = 5
    map to guest = Never
    null passwords = No
    obey pam restrictions = No
    password server =
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    root directory =
    pam password change = No
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
    passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n
    *changed*
    passwd chat debug = No
    username map =
    password level = 0
    username level = 0
    unix password sync = No
    restrict anonymous = No
    lanman auth = Yes
    use rhosts = No
    ssl = No
    ssl hosts =
    ssl hosts resign =
    ssl CA certDir =
    ssl CA certFile =
    ssl server cert =
    ssl server key =
    ssl client cert =
    ssl client key =
    ssl egd socket =
    ssl entropy file =
    ssl entropy bytes = 256
    ssl require clientcert = No
    ssl require servercert = No
    ssl ciphers =
    ssl version = ssl2or3
    ssl compatibility = No
    admin log = No
    log level = 0
    syslog = 1
    syslog only = No
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
    max log size = 50
    timestamp logs = Yes
    debug hires timestamp = No
    debug pid = No
    debug uid = No
    protocol = NT1
    large readwrite = Yes
    max protocol = NT1
    min protocol = CORE
    read bmpx = No
    read raw = Yes
    write raw = Yes
    acl compatibility =
    nt smb support = Yes
    nt pipe support = Yes
    nt status support = Yes
    announce version = 4.9
    announce as = NT
    max mux = 50
    max xmit = 16644
    name resolve order = host wins
    max ttl = 259200
    max wins ttl = 518400
    min wins ttl = 21600
    time server = No
    unix extensions = No
    change notify timeout = 60
    deadtime = 0
    getwd cache = Yes
    keepalive = 300
    lpq cache time = 10
    max smbd processes = 0
    max disk size = 0
    max open files = 10000
    name cache timeout = 660
    read size = 16384
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    stat cache size = 50
    use mmap = Yes
    total print jobs = 0
    load printers = Yes
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    disable spoolss = No
    enumports command =
    addprinter command =
    deleteprinter command =
    show add printer wizard = Yes
    os2 driver map =
    strip dot = No
    mangling method = hash
    character set =
    mangled stack = 50
    stat cache = Yes
    domain admin group =
    domain guest group =
    machine password timeout = 604800
    add user script =
    delete user script =
    logon script =
    logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
    logon drive =
    logon home = \\%N\%U
    domain logons = No
    os level = 32
    lm announce = Auto
    lm interval = 60
    preferred master = Yes
    local master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    browse list = Yes
    enhanced browsing = Yes
    dns proxy = Yes
    wins proxy = No
    wins server =
    wins support = Yes
    wins hook =
    kernel oplocks = Yes
    lock spin count = 3
    lock spin time = 10
    oplock break wait time = 0
    add share command =
    change share command =
    delete share command =
    config file =
    preload =
    lock dir = /var/cache/samba
    pid directory = /var/run
    default service =
    message command =
    dfree command =
    valid chars =
    remote announce =
    remote browse sync =
    socket address = 0.0.0.0
    homedir map = auto.home
    time offset = 0
    NIS homedir = No
    source environment =
    panic action =
    hide local users = No
    winbind uid =
    winbind gid =
    template homedir = /home/%D/%U
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind separator = \
    winbind cache time = 15
    winbind enum users = Yes
    winbind enum groups = Yes
    winbind use default domain = No
    comment =
    path =
    alternate permissions = No
    username =
    guest account = nobody
    invalid users =
    valid users =
    admin users =
    read list =
    write list =
    printer admin =
    force user =
    force group =
    read only = Yes
    create mask = 0744
    force create mode = 00
    security mask = 0777
    force security mode = 00
    directory mask = 0755
    force directory mode = 00
    directory security mask = 0777
    force directory security mode = 00
    force unknown acl user = 00
    inherit permissions = No
    inherit acls = No
    guest only = No
    guest ok = No
    only user = No
    hosts allow =
    hosts deny =
    status = Yes
    nt acl support = Yes
    profile acls = No
    block size = 1024
    max connections = 0
    min print space = 0
    strict allocate = No
    strict sync = No
    sync always = No
    write cache size = 0
    max print jobs = 1000
    printable = No
    postscript = No
    printing = bsd
    print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
    lpq command = lpq -P%p
    lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
    lppause command =
    lpresume command =
    queuepause command =
    queueresume command =
    printer name =
    use client driver = No
    default devmode = No
    printer driver =
    printer driver file = /etc/samba/printers.def
    printer driver location =
    default case = lower
    case sensitive = No
    preserve case = Yes
    short preserve case = Yes
    mangle case = No
    mangling char = ~
    hide dot files = Yes
    hide unreadable = No
    delete veto files = No
    veto files =
    hide files =
    veto oplock files =
    map system = No
    map hidden = No
    map archive = Yes
    mangled names = Yes
    mangled map =
    browseable = Yes
    blocking locks = Yes
    csc policy = manual
    fake oplocks = No
    locking = Yes
    oplocks = Yes
    level2 oplocks = Yes
    oplock contention limit = 2
    posix locking = Yes
    strict locking = No
    share modes = Yes
    copy =
    include =
    exec =
    preexec close = No
    postexec =
    root preexec =
    root preexec close = No
    root postexec =
    available = Yes
    volume =
    fstype = NTFS
    set directory = No
    wide links = Yes
    follow symlinks = Yes
    dont descend =
    magic script =
    magic output =
    delete readonly = No
    dos filemode = No
    dos filetimes = No
    dos filetime resolution = No
    fake directory create times = No
    vfs object =
    vfs options =

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = Yes
    share modes = No

  6. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    wrote:

    >You can keep it hidden if you plan to autmatically connect your users to
    >their home directory through a drive mapping. But you'd have to push out
    >that setting. Also ( I just noticed this ) you need to have your home
    >share actually point to a path on your filesystem or your network- i.e.

    I understand.

    >[global]
    > logon home = \\%L\homes\%u

    This change by itself made no difference.

    > logon drive = H:

    With this change I get an error that this resource in not available.

    >[homes]
    > path = /home/%u

    This made no difference.

    > comment = Home Directories
    > read only = No
    > browseable = No

    I tried making [homes] "browseable = Yes" and then a folder named
    homes appears in NN. When I try to open it, I am asked for a password
    which is rejected as incorrect.

    Thanks again

  7. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    I've noticed the first letter in you user names start with a capital letter
    (ie "Gary"). When I first started with samba (some three odd years ago) I
    found that it was far more difficult to configure if the user names
    contained anything but lower case letters. It can be done, however I don't
    remember the configuration options right now. Try setting up a test user
    with all lower case letters, create a samba account for the user, and then
    try logging in. You should then be able to browse the home folder. By the
    way, the home folder should always be "browseable=no".

    If you need a sample samba.conf on a system that I am using with Win 98, Win
    2000, Win XPP and Linux workstations, just drop a note. I have had three
    production servers up now for a year and a half.

    "low glow" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:27:51 -0400, Ben Donnelly
    > wrote:

    > >You can keep it hidden if you plan to autmatically connect your users to
    > >their home directory through a drive mapping. But you'd have to push out
    > >that setting. Also ( I just noticed this ) you need to have your home
    > >share actually point to a path on your filesystem or your network- i.e.

    > I understand.
    >

    > >[global]
    > > logon home = \\%L\homes\%u

    > This change by itself made no difference.
    >
    > > logon drive = H:

    > With this change I get an error that this resource in not available.
    >

    > >[homes]
    > > path = /home/%u

    > This made no difference.
    >
    > > comment = Home Directories
    > > read only = No
    > > browseable = No
    > >

    > I tried making [homes] "browseable = Yes" and then a folder named
    > homes appears in NN. When I try to open it, I am asked for a password
    > which is rejected as incorrect.
    >

    > Thanks again

  8. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:57:03 -0500, "Jim Shanks"
    wrote:

    >I've noticed the first letter in you user names start with a capital letter
    >(ie "Gary"). When I first started with samba (some three odd years ago) I
    >found that it was far more difficult to configure if the user names
    >contained anything but lower case letters. It can be done, however I don't
    >remember the configuration options right now. Try setting up a test user
    >with all lower case letters, create a samba account for the user, and then
    >try logging in. You should then be able to browse the home folder. By the
    >way, the home folder should always be "browseable=no".

    That was it! So I'm standing in my chair and clapping.
    Thanks

    >If you need a sample samba.conf on a system that I am using with Win 98, Win
    >2000, Win XPP and Linux workstations, just drop a note. I have had three
    >production servers up now for a year and a half.

    Thats quite a record and thanks for the offer. I've spent two weeks
    reading, searching and finally asking for help. If I hadn't, I would
    never have learned as much.

  9. Re: logons work but can't see home directories

    In article , owglow@sighned.com wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:57:03 -0500, "Jim Shanks"
    >wrote:

    snip..

    >Thats quite a record and thanks for the offer. I've spent two weeks
    >reading, searching and finally asking for help. If I hadn't, I would
    >never have learned as much.

    join the club :-) costed me 3 weeks full time to get samba & XP configured for
    PDC, authentication & roaming profiles .. feels like I read 10e6 pages of docs
    .. :-) but it works like a charm now .. i'm even using an external usb HD on
    the server as a backup for my XP machines :-) (not much of an achievement but
    after all the samba misery one is happy with a dead horse :-))

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread