common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine - SMB

This is a discussion on common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine - SMB ; I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying ...

  1. common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows
    workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It
    seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying to
    access a file on the server...and then seconds later I can access it.

    Though its not a big deal this can get very irritating. I've seen
    this problem posted in a number of forms on here.

    Has anyone fixed this?

    Does anyone have any ideas how to?

    thanks,
    JOhn

  2. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    In article <86466881.0310151308.3bf44849@posting.google.com>,
    psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows
    > workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It
    > seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying to
    > access a file on the server...and then seconds later I can access it.
    >
    > Though its not a big deal this can get very irritating. I've seen
    > this problem posted in a number of forms on here.
    >
    > Has anyone fixed this?
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas how to?
    >
    > thanks,
    > JOhn

    This can be caused by a number of problems.
    What version of Samba, what version of windows?? Any error messages in
    the logs??
    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

  3. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    Mark wrote in message news:...
    > In article <86466881.0310151308.3bf44849@posting.google.com>,
    > psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > > I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows
    > > workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It
    > > seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying to
    > > access a file on the server...and then seconds later I can access it.
    > >
    > > Though its not a big deal this can get very irritating. I've seen
    > > this problem posted in a number of forms on here.
    > >
    > > Has anyone fixed this?
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas how to?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > JOhn
    > >

    > This can be caused by a number of problems.
    > What version of Samba, what version of windows?? Any error messages in
    > the logs??

    Samba version is: 2.2.3a-12.3
    Windows machines are Windows 98 2nd version

    In addition to this I've noted that when I use ssh to connect to the
    debian server hosting samba, that the connection goes out every once
    in a while. Its repetitive and happens more frequently when there is
    a lot of transfering of large files. At least it seems so. This is
    now a serious problem. Any help is very much appreciated.

    The log file for one machine (called they) has many repititions of
    these errors:

    [2003/10/01 15:07:05, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
    read_data: read failure for 49479. Error = Connection reset by peer
    [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(298)
    read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
    reset by peer.
    [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(758)
    oplock_break: receive_smb error (Connection reset by peer)
    oplock_break failed for file John/797D0000 (dev = 308, inode =
    7340040, file_id = 17).
    [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(843)
    oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
    [2003/10/02 13:11:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
    request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
    to pid 4285 on port 1039 for dev = 308, inode = 734004$

  4. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    In article <86466881.0310201100.469ac9db@posting.google.com>,
    psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > Mark wrote in message news:...
    > > In article <86466881.0310151308.3bf44849@posting.google.com>,
    > > psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > > > I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows
    > > > workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It
    > > > seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying to
    > > > access a file on the server...and then seconds later I can access it.
    > > >
    > > > Though its not a big deal this can get very irritating. I've seen
    > > > this problem posted in a number of forms on here.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone fixed this?
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any ideas how to?
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > JOhn
    > > >

    > > This can be caused by a number of problems.
    > > What version of Samba, what version of windows?? Any error messages in
    > > the logs??

    > Samba version is: 2.2.3a-12.3
    > Windows machines are Windows 98 2nd version
    >
    > In addition to this I've noted that when I use ssh to connect to the
    > debian server hosting samba, that the connection goes out every once
    > in a while. Its repetitive and happens more frequently when there is
    > a lot of transfering of large files. At least it seems so. This is
    > now a serious problem. Any help is very much appreciated.
    >
    > The log file for one machine (called they) has many repititions of
    > these errors:
    >
    > [2003/10/01 15:07:05, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
    > read_data: read failure for 49479. Error = Connection reset by peer
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(298)
    > read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
    > reset by peer.
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(758)
    > oplock_break: receive_smb error (Connection reset by peer)
    > oplock_break failed for file John/797D0000 (dev = 308, inode =
    > 7340040, file_id = 17).
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(843)
    > oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
    > [2003/10/02 13:11:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
    > request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
    > to pid 4285 on port 1039 for dev = 308, inode = 734004$

    Ok, so what are actually doing/accessing when these error messages
    appear?? Also you need to update your samba version as your current
    verion is old and is vulnerable to some security and bug issues that
    have been fixed in 2.2.8.

    Do these error messages occur when using a NEWER operating system such
    as Windows 2000 or XP??

    You mentioned that that this issue cocurs when using ssh so this tells
    me that the issue is not a samba issue. I would be looking at network
    setup, connectivity, hardware (flakey NIC), etc.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

  5. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    news:86466881.0310201100.469ac9db@posting.google.c om...

    > > In article <86466881.0310151308.3bf44849@posting.google.com>,
    > > psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > > > I have a network set up with a debian file server and several windows
    > > > workstations. I'm using samba (thus debian can be a file server). It
    > > > seems to work great, but once in a while I'll get an error trying to
    > > > access a file on the server...and then seconds later I can access it.
    > > >
    > > > Though its not a big deal this can get very irritating. I've seen
    > > > this problem posted in a number of forms on here.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone fixed this?
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any ideas how to?
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > JOhn
    > > >

    > > This can be caused by a number of problems.
    > > What version of Samba, what version of windows?? Any error messages in
    > > the logs??

    > Samba version is: 2.2.3a-12.3
    > Windows machines are Windows 98 2nd version
    >
    > In addition to this I've noted that when I use ssh to connect to the
    > debian server hosting samba, that the connection goes out every once
    > in a while. Its repetitive and happens more frequently when there is
    > a lot of transfering of large files. At least it seems so. This is
    > now a serious problem. Any help is very much appreciated.

    If you're getting the error with ssh also, I would suspect a hardware
    problem. Some older 10Mb NIC's give problems with newer 100Mb switches.
    NIC's are cheap enough, try a different one.

    > The log file for one machine (called they) has many repititions of
    > these errors:
    >
    > [2003/10/01 15:07:05, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
    > read_data: read failure for 49479. Error = Connection reset by peer
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(298)
    > read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
    > reset by peer.
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(758)
    > oplock_break: receive_smb error (Connection reset by peer)
    > oplock_break failed for file John/797D0000 (dev = 308, inode =
    > 7340040, file_id = 17).
    > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(843)
    > oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
    > [2003/10/02 13:11:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
    > request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
    > to pid 4285 on port 1039 for dev = 308, inode = 734004$

  6. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    Mark wrote in message news:...
    > In article <86466881.0310201100.469ac9db@posting.google.com>,
    > psye@brandeis.edu says...
    > > Mark wrote in message news:...
    > > > In article <86466881.0310151308.3bf44849@posting.google.com>,
    > > > psye@brandeis.edu says...

    > > > This can be caused by a number of problems.
    > > > What version of Samba, what version of windows?? Any error messages in
    > > > the logs??

    > > Samba version is: 2.2.3a-12.3
    > > Windows machines are Windows 98 2nd version
    > >
    > > In addition to this I've noted that when I use ssh to connect to the
    > > debian server hosting samba, that the connection goes out every once
    > > in a while. Its repetitive and happens more frequently when there is
    > > a lot of transfering of large files. At least it seems so. This is
    > > now a serious problem. Any help is very much appreciated.
    > >
    > > The log file for one machine (called they) has many repititions of
    > > these errors:
    > >
    > > [2003/10/01 15:07:05, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
    > > read_data: read failure for 49479. Error = Connection reset by peer
    > > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(298)
    > > read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
    > > reset by peer.
    > > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(758)
    > > oplock_break: receive_smb error (Connection reset by peer)
    > > oplock_break failed for file John/797D0000 (dev = 308, inode =
    > > 7340040, file_id = 17).
    > > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(843)
    > > oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
    > > [2003/10/02 13:11:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
    > > request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
    > > to pid 4285 on port 1039 for dev = 308, inode = 734004$
    > >

    > Ok, so what are actually doing/accessing when these error messages
    > appear?? Also you need to update your samba version as your current
    > verion is old and is vulnerable to some security and bug issues that
    > have been fixed in 2.2.8.
    >
    > Do these error messages occur when using a NEWER operating system such
    > as Windows 2000 or XP??
    >
    > You mentioned that that this issue cocurs when using ssh so this tells
    > me that the issue is not a samba issue. I would be looking at network
    > setup, connectivity, hardware (flakey NIC), etc.

    Thanks everyone for your feedback and help. This error does occur
    with newer OS, everything from Win98 to XP. The network setup seems
    to be o.k., and these errors occur only when passing large files using
    samba. So, I can understand why it would look like a hardware or
    networking issue, but I don't think it is unrelated to samba.
    However, I will try a new nic. I have also seen a lot of posts about
    this kind of problem here and elsewhere.

    Also, if there is a spcific thing in the networking you think I should
    check, let me know...i.e. duplexing, etc. I've heard that can be a
    problem, or speed negotation.

    thanks,
    John

  7. Re: common problem: interittent samba failure with any Windows machine

    In article <86466881.0310231532.21bf15af@posting.google.com>, psye@brandeis.edu (John Thomas Langton) wrote:
    >Mark wrote in message
    >> In article <86466881.0310201100.469ac9db@posting.google.com>,
    >> psye@brandeis.edu says...
    >> > Mark wrote in message

    snip
    >> > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(298)
    >> > read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
    >> > reset by peer.
    >> > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(758)
    >> > oplock_break: receive_smb error (Connection reset by peer)
    >> > oplock_break failed for file John/797D0000 (dev = 308, inode =
    >> > 7340040, file_id = 17).
    >> > [2003/10/02 13:10:53, 0] smbd/oplock.cplock_break(843)
    >> > oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
    >> > [2003/10/02 13:11:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
    >> > request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
    >> > to pid 4285 on port 1039 for dev = 308, inode = 734004$

    I'm not an expert here but do these messages not suggest that you have a
    problem with the "locking" settings in yr smb.conf ?

    It maybe worth cheking the "oplock" settings or at least check the man pages
    of smb.conf to have an idea of the settings .. just a wild guess ..

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread