Samba + WinXP explorer.exe very slow - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba + WinXP explorer.exe very slow - SMB ; Hello, I have Samba setup as a fileshare for Windows clients. Some windows clients are experiencing a major slowdown using windows explorer to view/copy/paste/ etc. to the Samba share. Other clients are fine. I noticed the slowdown on my machine, ...

  1. Samba + WinXP explorer.exe very slow

    Hello,

    I have Samba setup as a fileshare for Windows clients. Some windows clients
    are experiencing a major slowdown using windows explorer to view/copy/paste/
    etc. to the Samba share. Other clients are fine. I noticed the slowdown on
    my machine, but then it went away without me changing anything.
    Windows task manager shows explorer.exe at/near 100% CPU usage. This drops
    to normal if explorer is closed.

    I have searched around and found a Windows service 'Webclient' may be the
    source, but shutting this service off did not change anything. If I access
    the Samba share from the command line: 'net use N: \\sambaserver\share'
    browsing the share is normal (fast) speed.
    There are no DNS issues as the 'slow' client can ping the Samba server by IP
    and name. I'm not sure what else I could try, has anyone seen this sort of
    thing?

    My environment:
    Server: Samba 2.2.7a on RedHat 9.0
    Clients: WindowsXP Home

  2. Re: Samba + WinXP explorer.exe very slow

    "Charles" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Samba setup as a fileshare for Windows clients. Some windows

    clients
    > are experiencing a major slowdown using windows explorer to

    view/copy/paste/
    > etc. to the Samba share. Other clients are fine. I noticed the slowdown on
    > my machine, but then it went away without me changing anything.
    > Windows task manager shows explorer.exe at/near 100% CPU usage. This drops
    > to normal if explorer is closed.
    >
    > I have searched around and found a Windows service 'Webclient' may be the
    > source, but shutting this service off did not change anything. If I access
    > the Samba share from the command line: 'net use N: \\sambaserver\share'
    > browsing the share is normal (fast) speed.
    > There are no DNS issues as the 'slow' client can ping the Samba server by

    IP
    > and name. I'm not sure what else I could try, has anyone seen this sort of
    > thing?
    >
    > My environment:
    > Server: Samba 2.2.7a on RedHat 9.0
    > Clients: WindowsXP Home

    I was under the understanding that there was a limit on how many WinXP Home
    systems can participate in a workgroup.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...joindomain.asp

    This maybe causing the problem.

+ Reply to Thread