charset settings ? - SMB

This is a discussion on charset settings ? - SMB ; Hi, all I'm running Samba 3.0.0 (including libiconv 1.9.1) on a Solaris 9 machine in Sweden. Some of my files that I wish to share with my windowed friends contain swedish characters, hence my problems. The files are listed correctly ...

  1. charset settings ?

    Hi, all

    I'm running Samba 3.0.0 (including libiconv 1.9.1) on a Solaris 9
    machine in Sweden. Some of my files that I wish to share with my
    windowed friends contain swedish characters, hence my problems.

    The files are listed correctly on the terminal when using locale
    sv_SE.ISO8859-1. My smb.conf lists (in [global]):

    unix charset = UTF8
    display charset = UTF8

    but when using smbclient locally these file names come up garbled.
    Uncommenting the lines make them even more garbled, UTF-8 also fails.
    Switching to ASCII reduces the garbling, but all 8-bit characters are
    replaced by its corresponding 7-bit character.

    The smbd+nmbd environments have LANG and LC_ALL environment variables
    set to sv_SE.ISO8859-1 as well.

    Of course, my Win2k box also lists the files as garbled - I figure that
    if I get my local smbclient working, the PC would follow ...

    Which settings (smb.conf / environment / ???) should I use ?

    Thanks in advance :-)

  2. Re: charset settings ?

    Hi again,

    got the following aid from Pär Häggblad (who wasn't
    able to post the message himself), urging me to try the following
    smb.conf settings:

    unix charset = ISO8859-1
    client code page = 850
    character set = ISO8859-1

    and from my spontaneous testings, these seem to work !

    :-)

    Mart Käsper wrote:
    > Hi, all
    >
    > I'm running Samba 3.0.0 (including libiconv 1.9.1) on a Solaris 9
    > machine in Sweden. Some of my files that I wish to share with my
    > windowed friends contain swedish characters, hence my problems.
    >
    > The files are listed correctly on the terminal when using locale
    > sv_SE.ISO8859-1. My smb.conf lists (in [global]):
    >
    > unix charset = UTF8
    > display charset = UTF8
    >
    > but when using smbclient locally these file names come up garbled.
    > Uncommenting the lines make them even more garbled, UTF-8 also fails.
    > Switching to ASCII reduces the garbling, but all 8-bit characters are
    > replaced by its corresponding 7-bit character.
    >
    > The smbd+nmbd environments have LANG and LC_ALL environment variables
    > set to sv_SE.ISO8859-1 as well.
    >
    > Of course, my Win2k box also lists the files as garbled - I figure that
    > if I get my local smbclient working, the PC would follow ...
    >
    > Which settings (smb.conf / environment / ???) should I use ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance :-)

  3. Re: charset settings ?

    Mart K?sper wrote:
    > Hi again,

    > got the following aid from P?r H?ggblad (who wasn't
    > able to post the message himself), urging me to try the following
    > smb.conf settings:

    > unix charset = ISO8859-1

    O.K.!
    > client code page = 850
    > character set = ISO8859-1

    Hmm... these are ignored in 3.xx.

    > and from my spontaneous testings, these seem to work !

    > :-)

    This works for me:

    unix charset = ISO8859-1
    display charset = ISO8859-1