NT Server on Linux - SMB

This is a discussion on NT Server on Linux - SMB ; We just installed a new Linux server on our small (approx 12 computers) network. The workstations are mostly Win 98, with two XP Pros. Our old server, NT Server 4.0 is still on the network. The Linux server is the ...

  1. NT Server on Linux

    We just installed a new Linux server on our small (approx 12 computers)
    network. The workstations are mostly Win 98, with two XP Pros. Our old
    server, NT Server 4.0 is still on the network. The Linux server is the PDC
    (The NT Domain service is disabled). We have a shared database on the NT
    server that cannot be used on the Linux server due to speed issues. I just
    added a new user to the Linux server. She can log on to the domain, and can
    access shared files on all computers in the domain except for the NT Server.
    It responds with a dialog box asking for a password to share IPC$. It seems
    to be acting as if her computer does not have an account on the domain, yet
    she can access all other computers on the network.

    A Side note which may be pertinent: When logging on to the NT server, I
    press CTRL-ALT-DEL to unlock, then I have to wait about five minutes while
    it says "Please wait while domain list is created" before I get the logon
    dialog box.

    Thanks,
    Adam Wright

  2. Re: NT Server on Linux

    "Adam Wright" wrote in message
    news:UBjgb.2608$rO1.37@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > We just installed a new Linux server on our small (approx 12 computers)
    > network. The workstations are mostly Win 98, with two XP Pros. Our old
    > server, NT Server 4.0 is still on the network. The Linux server is the

    PDC
    > (The NT Domain service is disabled). We have a shared database on the NT
    > server that cannot be used on the Linux server due to speed issues. I

    just
    > added a new user to the Linux server. She can log on to the domain, and

    can
    > access shared files on all computers in the domain except for the NT

    Server.
    > It responds with a dialog box asking for a password to share IPC$. It

    seems
    > to be acting as if her computer does not have an account on the domain,

    yet
    > she can access all other computers on the network.

    Win95/98 default to security = SHARE so they an be accessed regardless of
    the domain logon.

    > A Side note which may be pertinent: When logging on to the NT server, I
    > press CTRL-ALT-DEL to unlock, then I have to wait about five minutes while
    > it says "Please wait while domain list is created" before I get the logon
    > dialog box.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Adam Wright

    I had something similar here when I was experimenting with Samba 3.0 PDC and
    an NT4 server. It turned out that the os level wasn't set high enough for
    the Samba server. The NT4 server won the master browser elections ?? This
    resulted in the NT4 server not being able to find the PDC and kind of
    isolated it.

    Anyhow, I set the os level = 65 on the PDC and that solved it. The NT4
    server started to behave.

    Was the NT4 server the previous PDC ?

+ Reply to Thread