--with-configdir smbpasswd problem (samba 3 ) - SMB

This is a discussion on --with-configdir smbpasswd problem (samba 3 ) - SMB ; I meet the following problem with Samba 3.0.0 I created the makefile with : configure --prefix=/samba --with-configdir=/samba/conf Everything works fine during install. I can testparm my /samba/conf/smb.conf with success. However, there seem to be a problem with smbpasswd : If ...

  1. --with-configdir smbpasswd problem (samba 3 )

    I meet the following problem with Samba 3.0.0

    I created the makefile with :
    configure --prefix=/samba --with-configdir=/samba/conf

    Everything works fine during install.

    I can testparm my /samba/conf/smb.conf with success.
    However, there seem to be a problem with smbpasswd :
    If I enter "smbpasswd -a aUserName" I get this :
    -----
    params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
    "/etc/samba/smb.conf":
    No such file or directory.
    Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
    -----
    The directory /etc/samba doesn't even exist.
    Why does it look for that directory ? The documentation (Using Samba
    2) says that default conf directory is /usr/local/samba/lib.
    (Is the book already outdated ?)

    Am I missing something ?

    Patrice

  2. Re: --with-configdir smbpasswd problem (samba 3 )

    Patrice wrote:

    > I can testparm my /samba/conf/smb.conf with success.
    > However, there seem to be a problem with smbpasswd :
    > If I enter "smbpasswd -a aUserName" I get this :
    > -----
    > params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
    > "/etc/samba/smb.conf":
    > No such file or directory.
    > Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
    > -----
    > The directory /etc/samba doesn't even exist.
    > Why does it look for that directory ? The documentation (Using Samba
    > 2) says that default conf directory is /usr/local/samba/lib.
    > (Is the book already outdated ?)

    Just a blind guess: smbpasswd could be a leftover from the previous samba
    installation/rpm package? Look for a bunch of smb*3 files ....
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period).

  3. Re: --with-configdir smbpasswd problem (samba 3 )

    > Just a blind guess: smbpasswd could be a leftover from the previous samba
    > installation/rpm package? Look for a bunch of smb*3 files ....

    Perhaps it was so. After removing everything and a reinstall,
    everything works correctly.

    Thanks,

    Patrice

+ Reply to Thread