Last resort help on Samba, please. - SMB

This is a discussion on Last resort help on Samba, please. - SMB ; Hello newsgroup contributors and lurkers! I've been a lurker for about 4 months, the length of time i've been working with Linux, and have yet to accurately diagnose my Samba problem. I was hoping that someone could give me suggestions! ...

  1. Last resort help on Samba, please.

    Hello newsgroup contributors and lurkers!

    I've been a lurker for about 4 months, the length of time i've been
    working with Linux, and have yet to accurately diagnose my Samba
    problem. I was hoping that someone could give me suggestions!

    My Goal: I'm running Redhat 8 on a computer that I want to use as a
    basic File Server.

    Clients: 2 Windows XP Pro computers.

    Hardware: Netgear Switch

    What I've accomplished so far: DHCP is working! Webmin is working. I'm
    trying to do this on webmin, but I've also used the command line.

    Problem:
    In XP the server is viewable in the group. But when I double-click on
    the server icon i get:

    MYGROUP
    \\JKFSERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
    find out if you have access permissions. The network path is not
    found.

    I feel I must apologize to anyone that's sick of people sending in
    their smb.conf files. Sorry. I've tried, but I can't figure it out!
    Calgon take me away!

    - James Falconer

    # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
    # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
    # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
    # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
    #
    # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    # may wish to enable
    #
    # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
    "testparm"
    # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
    #
    #======================= Global Settings
    =====================================
    [global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    load printers = yes
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    deadtime = 30
    null passwords = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    keepalive = 60
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    allow hosts = 172.16.1.0/255.255.255
    wins support = true
    dns proxy = no
    netbios name = JKFSERVER
    writeable = yes
    server string = Samba Server
    printing = lprng
    password server = 172.16.1.1
    default = global
    path = /usr/JKF
    unix password sync = yes
    revalidate = yes
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    os level = 65
    valid users = robert,mike,mutopopa,@users
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    security = user
    max log size = 0
    pam password change = yes

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    allow hosts = 172.16.1.1/255.255.255
    directory mode = 0775

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    printable = yes
    writeable = no
    path = /var/spool/samba
    allow hosts = 172.16.1.1/255.255.255

    [Documents]
    comment = Corporate Documents
    valid users = robert,mutopopa,mike,@users

  2. Re: Last resort help on Samba, please.

    I hate to say this, but your smb.conf file looks like it has more stuff then
    it needs. SWAT has a wizard that can get you up and running real quick (and
    clean up the smb.conf file). It available through webmin. Make a copy of
    your smb.conf as SWAT will completely rewrite it.

    "JK Falconer" wrote in message
    news:845ecfa6.0310011837.12841224@posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    > # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    > # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    > # may wish to enable
    > #
    > # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
    > "testparm"
    > # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
    > #
    > #======================= Global Settings
    > =====================================
    > [global]
    > log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > load printers = yes
    > passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    > *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

  3. Re: Last resort help on Samba, please.

    Hate to post twice (and top post), but I know the main problem. Your users
    don't have enough priveleges to view the shares. Are you using passwords ?

> [...]
    > # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    > # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    > # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    > # may wish to enable
    > #
    > # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
    > "testparm"
    > # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
    > #
    > #======================= Global Settings
    > =====================================
    > [global]
    > log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > load printers = yes
    > passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    > *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

  4. Re: Last resort help on Samba, please.

    In article <845ecfa6.0310011837.12841224@posting.google.com>,
    mutopopa@yahoo.com says...

    Comments inline....

    > Hello newsgroup contributors and lurkers!
    >
    > I've been a lurker for about 4 months, the length of time i've been
    > working with Linux, and have yet to accurately diagnose my Samba
    > problem. I was hoping that someone could give me suggestions!
    >
    > My Goal: I'm running Redhat 8 on a computer that I want to use as a
    > basic File Server.
    >
    > Clients: 2 Windows XP Pro computers.
    >
    > Hardware: Netgear Switch
    >
    > What I've accomplished so far: DHCP is working! Webmin is working. I'm
    > trying to do this on webmin, but I've also used the command line.
    >
    > Problem:
    > In XP the server is viewable in the group. But when I double-click on
    > the server icon i get:
    >
    > MYGROUP
    > \\JKFSERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
    > find out if you have access permissions. The network path is not
    > found.

    Is the exact message?? I think it should be the "network path was not
    found". If so you have redhat's default firewall running and it is
    blocking ports 137-139. You will need to open these ports or shutdown
    the firewall.
    See my webpage below for more help.

    > I feel I must apologize to anyone that's sick of people sending in
    > their smb.conf files. Sorry. I've tried, but I can't figure it out!
    > Calgon take me away!
    >
    > - James Falconer

    > [global]
    > log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > load printers = yes
    > passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    > *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    > obey pam restrictions = yes
    > deadtime = 30
    > null passwords = yes
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > keepalive = 60
    > passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    > allow hosts = 172.16.1.0/255.255.255
    > wins support = true
    > dns proxy = no
    > netbios name = JKFSERVER
    > writeable = yes
    > server string = Samba Server
    > printing = lprng
    > password server = 172.16.1.1
    > default = global
    > path = /usr/JKF
    > unix password sync = yes
    > revalidate = yes
    > workgroup = MYGROUP
    > os level = 65
    > valid users = robert,mike,mutopopa,@users
    > printcap name = /etc/printcap
    > security = user
    > max log size = 0
    > pam password change = yes

    Until you get your samba server running properly, start with a simple
    config and build from there. There are a LARGE number of
    improper/misplaced parameters in the above config. Again see my webpage
    for a simple and easy to use smb.conf.

    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > valid users = %S
    > create mode = 0664
    > allow hosts = 172.16.1.1/255.255.255

    This is usually set as a [global]
    > directory mode = 0775

    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > browseable = no
    > printable = yes
    > writeable = no
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > allow hosts = 172.16.1.1/255.255.255
    >
    > [Documents]
    > comment = Corporate Documents
    > valid users = robert,mutopopa,mike,@users

    You might want to add:
    browseable = yes (allws you to see the share in net neighborhood.
    read only = no (allows you to write files to share)

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    Samba Setup Guide
    www.samba.netfirms.com

    Postfix header checks for W32.Swen.A@mm Virus
    www.samba.netfirms.com/postfix/postfixrules.pdf

  5. Re: Last resort help on Samba, please.

    Hi,

    Yes I use passwords at the client end. They are the same user name and
    passwords as the linux users and passwords. I'll try configuring swat
    today. Thanks so far.

    - James Falconer

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:...
    > Hate to post twice (and top post), but I know the main problem. Your users
    > don't have enough priveleges to view the shares. Are you using passwords ?

  6. Re: Last resort help on Samba, please.

    I'm no expert but I have a few suggestions:

    >> [global]

    snip
    >> allow hosts = 172.16.1.0/255.255.255

    try making this allow hosts = 172.16.1. 127.
    Be sure there's a trailing . after the last number; this will include all
    addresses in the entire subnet. Also include the loopback address (127.). I've
    had trouble when I forgot to include this. You could also do 172.16.1.0/24 or
    whatever subnet mask you're using. Be sure to include the 127. reference
    (127.0.0.1/8).

    >> [homes]

    snip
    >> allow hosts = 172.16.1.1/255.255.255

    With this in your [homes] section it appears you're only allowing 1 address
    access to the [homes] share. I would try removing this line

    >> [Documents]
    >> comment = Corporate Documents
    >> valid users = robert,mutopopa,mike,@users

    In this section there's no path to where the documents share resides. You've
    identified the share but didn't tell the system where it is. You may need a
    path = /pathtodocuments reference. Also add browseable = yes and read only =
    no. Shares are read-only be default unless otherwise specified.

    Mark is right. Start with a basic configuration. Add to it when things are
    working. Be sure to restart smb each time you make a change
    (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart. I did this from memory but I think that's
    right.) This works on a Red Hat box; I don't know if this will work on other
    distributions. You should see smbd & nmbd both shutdown and start with OK. Wait
    about 30 seconds then try browsing from Windows again.

    See Mark's Samba setup guide at www.samba.netfirms.com. It has a lot of good
    information.

    Good luck,

    Bill in Sacramento