Samba 3, Unicode and smbfs - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3, Unicode and smbfs - SMB ; I'll be installing Samba 3.0.0 on my Slackware Linux soon, because I need the support for Unicode-over-the-wire in the new Samba. My question is: 1. Do I need a new kernel module to use Samba-3 for mounting smb shares? 2. ...

  1. Samba 3, Unicode and smbfs

    I'll be installing Samba 3.0.0 on my Slackware Linux soon, because I need
    the support for Unicode-over-the-wire in the new Samba.

    My question is:
    1. Do I need a new kernel module to use Samba-3 for mounting smb shares?
    2. If yes where do I get it?

    --
    Дамјан (jabberID:damjan@bagra.net.mk)

    Where do you think you're going today?

  2. Re: Samba 3, Unicode and smbfs

    > I'll be installing Samba 3.0.0 on my Slackware Linux soon, because I need
    > the support for Unicode-over-the-wire in the new Samba.
    >
    > My question is:

    The answers,

    > 1. Do I need a new kernel module to use Samba-3 for mounting smb shares?

    well generally no,
    but in order to use unicode-over-the-wire I had to use CIFS, therefore I had
    to get cifs for 2.4 from the samba CVS.

    > 2. If yes where do I get it?

    from the SAMBA CVS!!
    I needed the mount.cifs program:

    http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/...t/mount.cifs.c

    compiled with "gcc mount.cifs.c -o mount.cifs"
    and the kernel cifs modules for 2.4 (2.6 has it included by default)

    cvs -z5 -dserver:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot co cifsvfs

    PS.
    Helpfull link:
    http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

    --
    Дамјан (jabberID:damjan@bagra.net.mk)

    Ok guys, I'll implement focus-follows-mind next time and ship a magic patch.
    -- Matthias Ettrich (KDE developer)

+ Reply to Thread