creating a simple SMB connection - SMB

This is a discussion on creating a simple SMB connection - SMB ; Hi, I'm trying to write a simple app that would allow me to send messages through my local network and have the message appear on a Windows popup (ala "Net Send"). My research on this reveals that this is all ...

  1. creating a simple SMB connection

    Hi,

    I'm trying to write a simple app that would allow me to send messages
    through my local network and have the message appear on a Windows
    popup (ala "Net Send"). My research on this reveals that this is all
    done through the SMB protocol, but none of them go into detail as to
    how to establish a SMB connection. I've been able to establish the
    underlying NetBIOS connection, but I'm stuck as to what values I set
    the fields in my SMB struct and headers (i.e. what values do I set the
    pid, mid, tid, etc....do I get these somewhere or can I hardcode some
    values on here....). Any sample code would surely help as well. If
    there's any SMB programmers out there, any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Avalon1178

  2. Re: creating a simple SMB connection

    In article <8e243bf1.0309160931.620b0ba0@posting.google.com>,
    Avalon1178 wrote:
    > I'm trying to write a simple app that would allow me to send messages
    > through my local network and have the message appear on a Windows
    > popup (ala "Net Send"). My research on this reveals that this is all

    Samba ( http://www.samba.org/ , packages included with most free Unix-
    like OS's) has smbclient, with a -M option to send WinPopups.

    If you want to rewrite it for a non-POSIX OS, you could perhaps use the
    smbclient code as a starting point.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

+ Reply to Thread