Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro - SMB

This is a discussion on Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro - SMB ; I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning ...

  1. Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box
    (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning perfectly
    forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:

    [global]
    workgroup = shackelford
    netbios name = LinuxFS

    With this conf file, I still cannot even browse the linux box on the net
    (either through NetNeighborhood or \\linux1 or by \\192.168.1.109). I have
    tried to get my hands on anyhting on the net that will help me figure this
    out, but have only gotten frustrated. Anyone who would be willing to coach
    me along in this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    -Mark

  2. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    In article , "Mark Shackelford" wrote:
    >I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box
    >(RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    >running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning perfectly
    >forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    >ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:
    >
    >[global]
    >workgroup = shackelford
    >netbios name = LinuxFS
    >
    >With this conf file, I still cannot even browse the linux box on the net

    do you mean these are the only 2 lines in yr smb.conf ?

    if so .. a bit steep don't you think ? :-) :-)

    there is a free? book on samba at O'Reily bookstore (well there was one)
    cannot remember the exact URL/pointers .. but reading through all that will
    get you a better idea about the environment & functioning of samba in a
    general way. I memory serves me right it also contains rather detailed info on
    composing an smb.conf and the reasons why or not to put in certain statements
    and the effects thereof ..

    HTH

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

  3. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    In article , mmsshhaacckk@techie.com
    says...
    > I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box
    > (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    > running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning perfectly
    > forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    > ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:

    The problem lies with DNS, not Samba. You need to get your TCP/IP
    network in order first, meaning you are able to ping all pc's by name
    and IP. One this is setup then worry about Samba. Also when you post,
    provide relevant info such the output of ipconfig/all on the XP pc and
    the output of ifconfig on the linux pc.

    A proper smb.conf would be a nice addition as well....once the TCP/IP
    network is running smooth.
    My webpage below has a few links for TCP/IP networking basics.

    > [global]
    > workgroup = shackelford
    > netbios name = LinuxFS

    This really needs some work

    > With this conf file, I still cannot even browse the linux box on the net
    > (either through NetNeighborhood or \\linux1 or by \\192.168.1.109). I have
    > tried to get my hands on anyhting on the net that will help me figure this
    > out, but have only gotten frustrated. Anyone who would be willing to coach
    > me along in this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    See my webpage for help once you have the TCP/IP network runing properly

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  4. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    "Mark Shackelford" wrote in message
    newsOidnZvZjuRxB_uiXTWJhw@comcast.com...
    > I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box
    > (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    > running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning

    perfectly
    > forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    > ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = shackelford
    > netbios name = LinuxFS

    I hate to disagree with them, but you are only missing one thing in your
    smb.conf file. Just add:

    security = SHARE

    Restart the samba server or wait a few minutes for it to automatically
    reread the smb.conf file and your system will appear in the neightwork
    neighborhood. This is the default for Win95/98/ME systems.

    You can also omit the netbios name = and Samba will use the hostname for the
    netbios name. Of course the authorization is missing, so you will have to
    create shares like this:

    [temp]
    path = /tmp
    writeable = YES
    public = YES
    guest only = YES

    This will open your Samba computer to everyone to use that share without
    using passwords. Ideally what you want to do is use security = USER (the
    default) and then setup some sort of authorization.

    Good luck and have fun.

    > With this conf file, I still cannot even browse the linux box on the net
    > (either through NetNeighborhood or \\linux1 or by \\192.168.1.109). I

    have
    > tried to get my hands on anyhting on the net that will help me figure this
    > out, but have only gotten frustrated. Anyone who would be willing to

    coach
    > me along in this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Mark

  5. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    In article , "m.marien" RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...
    > "Mark Shackelford" wrote in message
    > newsOidnZvZjuRxB_uiXTWJhw@comcast.com...
    > > I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux box
    > > (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    > > running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning

    > perfectly
    > > forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    > > ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:
    > >
    > > [global]
    > > workgroup = shackelford
    > > netbios name = LinuxFS

    > I hate to disagree with them, but you are only missing one thing in your
    > smb.conf file. Just add:

    I take it you are disagreeing with my post on this issue. Lets examine
    the OP's issue.
    "I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    ping by IP not name."

    Well the smb.conf at least contains a netbios name. So if the OP cannot
    ping it by name then it is a simple DNS problem that must be resolved
    before Samba is able to function properly.

    For example I have a share called
    [test]
    browseable = yes
    read only = no

    Now on my windows pc I want to map this as my M drive, such as \\linuxfs
    \test. The problem in this OP's issue is plain to see that the windows
    pc cannot resolve the name linuxfs. how do we fix that??

    Do we say screw it and map it such as the IP address \\192.168.x.x
    \test?? Or do we fix the DNS problem with some simple entries in the 2
    operating systems host files, or setup a WINS or DNS server??
    My vote for a small network would be entries in the hosts files. Of
    course we are all entitled to our own choices.

    > security = SHARE

    Irrelevent to the original issue, but relevent to an overall functional
    Samba setup You are correct in stating below that security = user is the
    way to go.

    > Restart the samba server or wait a few minutes for it to automatically
    > reread the smb.conf file and your system will appear in the neightwork
    > neighborhood.

    True it will show, however with the OP's original smb.conf, it is pretty
    much a useless samba setup in its current state.

    > This is the default for Win95/98/ME systems.

    Huh???

    > You can also omit the netbios name = and Samba will use the hostname for the
    > netbios name.

    Good point, however if we take in one consideration. What if the linux
    pc hostname is "localhost" Then we have problems....linux newsgroups are
    full of questions on changing this hostname. I personally have seen this
    issue many many times and have answered probably a 100 emails on this
    one alone. Best course of action, always use the netbios parameter

    > Of course the authorization is missing, so you will have to
    > create shares like this:
    >
    > [temp]
    > path = /tmp
    > writeable = YES
    > public = YES
    > guest only = YES

    Works fine as stated.

    > This will open your Samba computer to everyone to use that share without
    > using passwords. Ideally what you want to do is use security = USER (the
    > default) and then setup some sort of authorization.

    Preferably encrypt passwords = yes

    > Good luck and have fun.

    I second this, and I would like to to note that this reply here is not
    meant to demean or second guess any person's help, irregardless if it is
    right or wrong. Rather my aim is to help others and MYself to understand
    and learn all we can.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark
    Samba Setup Guide
    www.samba.netfirms.com

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  6. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > In article , "m.marien" > RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...
    > > "Mark Shackelford" wrote in message
    > > newsOidnZvZjuRxB_uiXTWJhw@comcast.com...
    > > > I am a newbie to linux here, but I would like to configure my linux

    box
    > > > (RH8) to be a file server for my Windows network. The windows net is
    > > > running on a private subnet (192.168.1.) and has been functioning

    > > perfectly
    > > > forever. I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can

    only
    > > > ping by IP not name. My smb.conf is very simple at this point:
    > > >
    > > > [global]
    > > > workgroup = shackelford
    > > > netbios name = LinuxFS

    > > I hate to disagree with them, but you are only missing one thing in your
    > > smb.conf file. Just add:

    > I take it you are disagreeing with my post on this issue. Lets examine
    > the OP's issue.
    > "I can ping the Linux box from any of the XP boxes, but can only
    > ping by IP not name."
    >
    > Well the smb.conf at least contains a netbios name. So if the OP cannot
    > ping it by name then it is a simple DNS problem that must be resolved
    > before Samba is able to function properly.
    >
    > For example I have a share called
    > [test]
    > browseable = yes
    > read only = no
    >
    > Now on my windows pc I want to map this as my M drive, such as \\linuxfs
    > \test. The problem in this OP's issue is plain to see that the windows
    > pc cannot resolve the name linuxfs. how do we fix that??
    >
    > Do we say screw it and map it such as the IP address \\192.168.x.x
    > \test?? Or do we fix the DNS problem with some simple entries in the 2
    > operating systems host files, or setup a WINS or DNS server??
    > My vote for a small network would be entries in the hosts files. Of
    > course we are all entitled to our own choices.

    As a learning expirience, give it a try. I isolated a subnet with a Samba
    3RC3, a WIn95 and a Win98 system. I turned off all the services from the
    Linux box except the Samba server with the two lines:

    workgroup = workgroup
    security = SHARE

    The WIn95 and Win98 system appeared in the Network Neighborhood right away.
    The default security for them is SHARE. The Samba system didn't appear until
    I made the security = SHARE.

    I'm thinking here that with security = USER, the Samba box needs some sort
    of user authentication (smbpasswd file as a minimum) and without it, won't
    register itself in the browser list ??

    Now if you ping any system from the windows computers you'll get a reply.
    They seem to be able to use the browse list (or WINS) to resolve names. The
    Samba system isn't so smart. You're right, it needs DNS for TCP/IP functions
    like ping. It will ping it's hostname (ithout DNS), but if you add a netbios
    name, it won't be able to resolve that. However, it can use the browse list
    for other things. Try "nmblookup netbiosname" or "smbclient -L netbiosname"
    and you'll see that it can find the other computers.

    > > security = SHARE

    > Irrelevent to the original issue, but relevent to an overall functional
    > Samba setup You are correct in stating below that security = user is the
    > way to go.
    > >
    > > Restart the samba server or wait a few minutes for it to automatically
    > > reread the smb.conf file and your system will appear in the neightwork
    > > neighborhood.

    > True it will show, however with the OP's original smb.conf, it is pretty
    > much a useless samba setup in its current state.
    >
    > > This is the default for Win95/98/ME systems.

    > Huh???

    The default setup is SHARE security with no authentication.

    > > You can also omit the netbios name = and Samba will use the hostname for

    the
    > > netbios name.

    > Good point, however if we take in one consideration. What if the linux
    > pc hostname is "localhost" Then we have problems....linux newsgroups are
    > full of questions on changing this hostname. I personally have seen this
    > issue many many times and have answered probably a 100 emails on this
    > one alone. Best course of action, always use the netbios parameter

    Right, I was just looking for the minimum smb.conf that would allow it to
    function.

    > > Of course the authorization is missing, so you will have to
    > > create shares like this:
    > >
    > > [temp]
    > > path = /tmp
    > > writeable = YES
    > > public = YES
    > > guest only = YES

    > Works fine as stated.
    > >
    > > This will open your Samba computer to everyone to use that share without
    > > using passwords. Ideally what you want to do is use security = USER (the
    > > default) and then setup some sort of authorization.

    > Preferably encrypt passwords = yes
    > >
    > > Good luck and have fun.

    > I second this, and I would like to to note that this reply here is not
    > meant to demean or second guess any person's help, irregardless if it is
    > right or wrong. Rather my aim is to help others and MYself to understand
    > and learn all we can.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Mark
    > Samba Setup Guide
    > www.samba.netfirms.com
    >
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  7. Re: Can't see Linux smb from Win XP Pro

    I recently had the EXACT same prob. I looked through hundreds of
    posts...all of which concluded that there MUST be a prob with smb.conf
    or smbpasswd. In the end, it was an authorization problem. I changed
    my local security policy to use NTLMv2 hashes if possible, otherwise
    send NTLM and LM.

    You can make the change via:

    Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Local Security Policy >>
    Computer Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Security Settings >>
    Local Policies >> Security Options

    Modify the following policy: "Network security: Lan Manager
    authentication level" to "Send LM & NTLM -use NTLMv2 session security
    if negotiated"

    As I stated, I had the same prob...but as always

    hopefully helpful
    <|>andy<|>