HELP: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK - SMB

This is a discussion on HELP: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK - SMB ; After spending many hours going through checklists, web help and newsgroups I am a bit stuck. I am still at the basics I am afraid: installed redhat8 connecting to a W2000 machine. If I try to see the network from ...

  1. HELP: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK

    After spending many hours going through checklists, web help and newsgroups
    I am a bit stuck.

    I am still at the basics I am afraid: installed redhat8 connecting to a
    W2000 machine. If I try to see the network from my network places I see the
    samba server (even with my own comment string from the smb.conf file),
    opening it gives me a " network path not found" error.

    I have tried the usual stuff:
    - lmhosts file contains the netbios names of the machines and their IP
    adresses
    - DNS server on the W200 machine is set to 192.168.1.10 (the samba box)
    - and as said in the subject ping to the IP adress works, to the netbios
    name not.

    So it must be something with resolving names, but where should I start
    looking.

    Some more checks I have done that give some strange results but I cannot
    make head or tails of:
    (Workgroup = HOME, Linux box = gouw = 192.168.1.10, W2000 box = rohan =
    192.168.1.20)

    'nmblookup gouw' gives:
    name_query failed to find name gouw

    'nmblookup 168.192.1.10' gives:
    GOUW <00> - M
    GOUW <03> - M
    GOUW <20> - M
    ...__MSBROWSE__. <01> - M
    HOME <00> M
    HOME <1d> M
    HOME <1e> M

    'nmblookup -M -' gives:
    name_query failed to fin name __MSBROWSE__#01

    Can somebody please help with what to do next??

    Wilko

  2. Re: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK

    "Wilko van Asseldonk" wrote in message
    > After spending many hours going through checklists, web help and

    newsgroups
    > I am a bit stuck.
    >
    > I am still at the basics I am afraid: installed redhat8 connecting to a
    > W2000 machine. If I try to see the network from my network places I see

    the
    > samba server (even with my own comment string from the smb.conf file),
    > opening it gives me a " network path not found" error.
    >

    > - and as said in the subject ping to the IP adress works, to the netbios
    > name not.

    I think you have a DNS problem .. try just to replicate the lmhosts file in
    a hosts file one on the workstations (?\system32\drivers\etc ..?) and one in
    /etc and see how that works out ..

    you may need to modify the "lookup" parameter or how is this named again in
    the smb.conf file to list = hosts lmhosts broadcast wins or something the
    like ..

    HTH

  3. Re: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK

    "Wilko van Asseldonk" wrote in message
    > After spending many hours going through checklists, web help and

    newsgroups
    > I am a bit stuck.
    >
    > I am still at the basics I am afraid: installed redhat8 connecting to a
    > W2000 machine. If I try to see the network from my network places I see

    the
    > samba server (even with my own comment string from the smb.conf file),
    > opening it gives me a " network path not found" error.
    >
    > I have tried the usual stuff:
    > - lmhosts file contains the netbios names of the machines and their IP
    > adresses
    > - DNS server on the W200 machine is set to 192.168.1.10 (the samba box)
    > - and as said in the subject ping to the IP adress works, to the netbios
    > name not.
    >
    > So it must be something with resolving names, but where should I start
    > looking.
    >
    > Some more checks I have done that give some strange results but I cannot
    > make head or tails of:
    > (Workgroup = HOME, Linux box = gouw = 192.168.1.10, W2000 box = rohan =
    > 192.168.1.20)
    >
    > 'nmblookup gouw' gives:
    > name_query failed to find name gouw
    >
    > 'nmblookup 168.192.1.10' gives:

    Is this 'nmblookup -A 192.168.1.10' ?

    > GOUW <00> - M
    > GOUW <03> - M
    > GOUW <20> - M
    > ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - M
    > HOME <00> M
    > HOME <1d> M
    > HOME <1e> M

    I can't get a response from 'nmblookup 192.168.1.10'

    Maybe a dumb question, but do you have your LMHOST file backwards (name IP
    instead of IP name)? How about turning on the WINS server in Samba. Add the
    line:

    wins support = Yes

    in the smb.conf file and delete the LMHOSTS files (on both systems), or just
    change the names (LMHOSTS.saved) so they aren't used.

    The WINS server does what the LMHOSTS file does only automatic. It creates
    the LMHOSTdatabase on the fly. It comes with Samba, but not with Win2000
    Professional (only the server). The Samba server will find the WINS server,
    but the Win2000 system might not. You can input the IP for the WINS server
    in the TCP/IP properties of the Win2000 system. Click the Advanced button on
    the General tab of the TCP/IP Properties dialog.

    Alternate strategy:

    I think in a small system like yours, you could do away with both the
    LMHOSTS file and WINS and it will still work (using broadcast). After
    restart, you have to give the systems time to resolve who will be the master
    browser, and time to build the browse list. If you are impatient, do a seach
    for computers on the Win2000 system and it will find the Samba server before
    it shows up in the network neighborhood.

    This is a little know M$ strategy. Everybody get out of the car then get
    back it and then see if it starts.

    > 'nmblookup -M -' gives:
    > name_query failed to fin name __MSBROWSE__#01
    >
    > Can somebody please help with what to do next??
    >
    > Wilko

  4. Re: ping a.b.c.d = OK; ping Name = NOK

    "m.marien" wrote in message

> [...]

    > Professional (only the server). The Samba server will find the WINS

    server,
    > but the Win2000 system might not. You can input the IP for the WINS server
    > in the TCP/IP properties of the Win2000 system. Click the Advanced button

    on
    > the General tab of the TCP/IP Properties dialog.
    >
    > Alternate strategy:
    >
    > I think in a small system like yours, you could do away with both the
    > LMHOSTS file and WINS and it will still work (using broadcast). After
    > restart, you have to give the systems time to resolve who will be the

    master
    > browser, and time to build the browse list. If you are impatient, do a

    seach
    > for computers on the Win2000 system and it will find the Samba server

    before
    > it shows up in the network neighborhood.

    One little item. If you don't have any authorization (smbpasswd) try
    security = SHARE. See the next post for the minimum configuration to work.

    > This is a little know M$ strategy. Everybody get out of the car then get
    > back it and then see if it starts.
    >
    > > 'nmblookup -M -' gives:
    > > name_query failed to fin name __MSBROWSE__#01
    > >
    > > Can somebody please help with what to do next??
    > >
    > > Wilko

+ Reply to Thread