Explorer crash on user login! - SMB

This is a discussion on Explorer crash on user login! - SMB ; Hi all, I have a linux (debian) server with samba as PDC, it serve 20 users. I have a problem with some users, when this users login on samba server (Winxp client) they cannot use any of windows explorer program ...

  1. Explorer crash on user login!

    Hi all, I have a linux (debian) server with samba as PDC, it serve 20
    users. I have a problem with some users, when this users login on
    samba server (Winxp client) they cannot use any of windows explorer
    program (network neighborhood, my computer...) without causing an
    explorer runime error. I tried to delete and re-create this users but
    the problem was not solved in this way.

    Thnx! Excuse for my poor english.

  2. Re: Explorer crash on user login!

    On 14 Sep 2003 03:41:22 -0700, davidepa@interfree.it (davide) wrote:

    >Hi all, I have a linux (debian) server with samba as PDC, it serve 20
    >users. I have a problem with some users, when this users login on
    >samba server (Winxp client) they cannot use any of windows explorer
    >program (network neighborhood, my computer...) without causing an
    >explorer runime error. I tried to delete and re-create this users but
    >the problem was not solved in this way.

    When you -localy- add a (windows) user and then login under that
    username (and change the option "this computer" to ensure you are not
    logging in from the network). If your explorer hangs too, than I
    suggest to reinstall that machine, because it's a local problem
    then... Not networking / samba problem.

    >Thnx! Excuse for my poor english.

    My english is poor too, so don't shame yourself or what

    Regards,

    Mike van Engelen

  3. Re: Explorer crash on user login!

    Mike van Engelen wrote in message news:...
    > On 14 Sep 2003 03:41:22 -0700, davidepa@interfree.it (davide) wrote:
    >

    > When you -localy- add a (windows) user and then login under that
    > username (and change the option "this computer" to ensure you are not
    > logging in from the network). If your explorer hangs too, than I
    > suggest to reinstall that machine, because it's a local problem
    > then... Not networking / samba problem.
    >
    > >Thnx! Excuse for my poor english.

    > My english is poor too, so don't shame yourself or what
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike van Engelen

    Thanks Mike! The problem is local how you said, I create a new local
    user and again the runtime error. Is a fresh install the only
    solution?

    Thnx :-))

  4. Re: Explorer crash on user login!

    On 14 Sep 2003 15:56:16 -0700, davidepa@interfree.it (davide) wrote:

    >Mike van Engelen wrote
    >> If your explorer hangs too, than I
    >> suggest to reinstall that machine, because it's a local problem
    >> then... Not networking / samba problem.

    >Thanks Mike! The problem is local how you said, I create a new local
    >user and again the runtime error. Is a fresh install the only
    >solution?

    Well, you can try to install internet explorer fresh from an ISP CD...
    Or maybe you have 'rejected' a IE update (from windowsupdate) then I
    recommend installing, and ensure install the last IE in the row
    (thought it was 6.0).

    If you just need to install internet explorer you also can visit
    [ http://www.tucows.com ]
    They have IE6.0 (or the lastest) in binary form. If reinstalling IE
    isn't working I suggest a complete reinstall (format & install)

    I can also recommend you, if it works after reinstall. Make an image
    from that harddisk (with ghost or something). Next time you have that
    problem you just copy/place the old image back and you have the stuff
    up and running. ( If you have a nice budget look out for: "Ghost
    [version] Enterprise Edition" = Expensive but with networking
    capability's, which is nice... Just start the image uploading from the
    network )

    Ok enough about this, please let me know if this was the solution to
    your problem.

    >Thnx :-))

    Your welcome.

    Regards,