Samba Not quite working - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba Not quite working - SMB ; Hello Newsgroup, I tried (and failed sort of) to install the 2.2.8a version of Samba on my Red Hat 9.0 2.4.20 kernel system. I was able to config, make, make install. the program installed in /usr/local/samba (I assume the Samba ...

  1. Samba Not quite working

    Hello Newsgroup,

    I tried (and failed sort of) to install the 2.2.8a version of Samba on
    my Red Hat 9.0 2.4.20 kernel system. I was able to config, make, make
    install. the program installed in /usr/local/samba (I assume the Samba
    default). I can get the smbd and nmbd to start, but must reference to
    the /usr/local/samba/bin/ directory to get it to start, as well as
    testparm, etc. I cannot use mount -t smbfs, or use the startup
    /etc/rc.d/smb start commands, etc (Red hat std intall areas). I get an
    error saying that the libssl.o.0 cannot be found. I cannot find this
    file anywhere on this system. Samba 2.2.7a ran ok (Red Hat rpm).

    I know I did something wrong (a beginner still!), but have no idea.
    Any help for my error?

    Printing does not work (have a network printer on a windows machine)

    Thanks,

    eric

  2. Re: Samba Not quite working

    In article ,
    Eric W. Holzapfel wrote:
    > file anywhere on this system. Samba 2.2.7a ran ok (Red Hat rpm).
    >
    > I know I did something wrong (a beginner still!), but have no idea.

    Is there a reason why you didn't stay with binary RPM's? Surely Red Hat
    has the 2.2.8a release as a binary RPM. If you needed some special
    features not enabled by default, you could use a source RPM and compile
    it the Red Hat way. Then your shell scripting issues would be resolved
    for you.

    Of course it IS possible to make the Samba defaults work on RH, but I'm
    not going to go into all of that, because 1. I'm not that familiar with
    RH, and 2. I don't think it's what you need.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  3. Re: Samba Not quite working

    In article , /dev/rob0 wrote:
    >In article ,
    > Eric W. Holzapfel wrote:
    >> file anywhere on this system. Samba 2.2.7a ran ok (Red Hat rpm).
    >>
    >> I know I did something wrong (a beginner still!), but have no idea.

    snip

    >Of course it IS possible to make the Samba defaults work on RH, but I'm
    >not going to go into all of that, because 1. I'm not that familiar with
    >RH, and 2. I don't think it's what you need.

    FWIW
    well I think that for most of the simple applications the defaults should work
    ok .. well at least they did for me on a RH9 with the above version of samba
    .. needed some fiddling and docs browsing but eventually got it all right ..

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread