Samba-3.0.0 RC4 available for download - SMB

  1. Samba-3.0.0 RC4 available for download

  2. Re: Samba-3.0.0 RC4 available for download

    In article , "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

    >The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
    >fourth release candidate of the Samba 3.0.0 code base. A release
    >candidate implies that the code is very close to a final release,
    >but remember that this is still a non-production snapshot intended
    >for testing purposes. Use it at your own risk.

    I'm sorry if this is maybe too "philosofical" :-)

    The small local node I run at a Uni research institute is now setup fro action
    in the soon to start academic year.

    Is there anyone here who can/wants to provide some additional info on the
    possible problems that might arise in the config of samba 3 after an upgrade
    of my present version ? (2.2.8a)
    From the docs I learn that S3 has many more windows "supported" features
    available that should ease up the use in this type of environment.
    Unfortunately I do not have the time to get back in some form of experimental
    status nor can I afford to mess up at this stage of the situation ..
    So in short can anyone argument why/why_not I should upgrade to version 3 ? or
    is this just too prematire ?

    just a discrete Q :-)

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

  3. Re: Samba-3.0.0 RC4 available for download

    "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

    > >The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
    > >fourth release candidate of the Samba 3.0.0 code base. A release
    > >candidate implies that the code is very close to a final release,
    > >but remember that this is still a non-production snapshot intended
    > >for testing purposes. Use it at your own risk.

    > I'm sorry if this is maybe too "philosofical" :-)
    >
    > The small local node I run at a Uni research institute is now setup fro

    action
    > in the soon to start academic year.
    >
    > Is there anyone here who can/wants to provide some additional info on the
    > possible problems that might arise in the config of samba 3 after an

    upgrade
    > of my present version ? (2.2.8a)
    > From the docs I learn that S3 has many more windows "supported" features
    > available that should ease up the use in this type of environment.
    > Unfortunately I do not have the time to get back in some form of

    experimental
    > status nor can I afford to mess up at this stage of the situation ..
    > So in short can anyone argument why/why_not I should upgrade to version 3

    ? or
    > is this just too prematire ?
    >
    > just a discrete Q :-)

    I think the web site states that this is still not a final version and
    should be treated as that. Certainly there are a number of compelling
    reasons to upgrade. One thing you can look at is the new options for
    handling accounts. In some cases you can use the NT GUI user manager, but
    there are several options for user databases.

    I upgraded my RH7.3 with the RC2 from 2.2.8 (then RC3) using the binary rpm
    with no changes to the smb.conf file. I didn't have any problems. I was able
    to move from a smbpasswd file to a passdb.tdb without loosing any accounts.
    However, I will be testing and certainly waiting for the final release
    before I install it in any work environments (even my home LAN). I think you
    should definitely install a test system so that you have a look at the new
    features, but I caution installing a beta version in a working environment.

    > --
    > remove_clothes to answer over email

  4. Re: Samba-3.0.0 RC4 available for download

    ,
    > "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
    > > >fourth release candidate of the Samba 3.0.0 code base. A release
    > > >candidate implies that the code is very close to a final release,
    > > >but remember that this is still a non-production snapshot intended
    > > >for testing purposes. Use it at your own risk.

    snip..
    > > So in short can anyone argument why/why_not I should upgrade to version

    3
    > ? or
    > > is this just too prematire ?
    > >
    > > just a discrete Q :-)

    snip
    > should definitely install a test system so that you have a look at the new
    > features, but I caution installing a beta version in a working

    environment.

    thnx very much .. at least you confirm my own feeling about this ... :-) I
    will also test & wait, glad to know I'm not running behind ! :-)

+ Reply to Thread