how to phsically connect - SMB

This is a discussion on how to phsically connect - SMB ; i have physically connected a windows pc to a unix box to transfer files across using a crossover wire plugged in both ends i want to send files back and forth what next? what software? all i know is I ...

  1. how to phsically connect

    i have physically connected a windows pc to a unix box to transfer files
    across
    using a crossover wire plugged in both ends

    i want to send files back and forth

    what next?
    what software?

    all i know is I have explorer on one side (windows)
    and a /filename/filename on the other (unix)

    what next??? ftp telnet do i get these

    help!!!!

  2. Re: how to phsically connect

    Peter Sloan wrote:

    > i have physically connected a windows pc to a unix box to transfer files
    > across
    > using a crossover wire plugged in both ends
    >
    > i want to send files back and forth
    >

    > what next?
    > what software?

    You need to set up the network for them. I'd suggest putting them both
    on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, just to make life easy.

    > all i know is I have explorer on one side (windows)
    > and a /filename/filename on the other (unix)

    After setting up the network, you can run Samba on almost any modern
    Linux box to share directories or even mount them to and from most
    Windows boxes.

    > what next??? ftp telnet do i get these

    If that's all you need is a one-time or occasional transfer of files,
    rather than sharing directories of files all the time dynamically, and
    you're on a private network like this, I suggest ftp. How to turn that
    on depends on your particular Linux distribution. If you have to expose
    these machines to the real world, I'd suggest that you use SSH instead,
    and use Putty or WinSCP2 on the Windows box (available from
    www.openssh.org).

+ Reply to Thread