User access from windows to samba server - SMB

This is a discussion on User access from windows to samba server - SMB ; Hello I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to give access to some windows users to the samba server so that ...

  1. User access from windows to samba server

    Hello
    I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add
    it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    do their stuff on this file system.
    The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    has any idea how to resolve this.
    Thanks

    my smb.conf file
    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = COM
    netbios name = XXXX
    log level = 1
    log file = /var/log/samba.log
    os level = 33
    preferred master = No
    local master = No
    wins server = x.x.x.x
    read only = No
    server string = SAMBA
    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = PWDSRV

    public]
    comment = This is testing only
    path = /test
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes

  2. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    here you go. Add this to your smb.conf file

    # Use password server option only with security = server
    # The argument list may include:
    # password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
    # or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
    # password server = *
    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = dc1, dc2,

    -- add your windows domain controller servers here ex. is dc1, dc2.
    Start with your master dc.

    good luck

    Dale wrote:

    >Hello
    >I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add
    >it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    >give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    >do their stuff on this file system.
    >The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    >same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    >windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    >has any idea how to resolve this.
    >Thanks
    >
    >my smb.conf file
    ># Global parameters
    >[global]
    > workgroup = COM
    > netbios name = XXXX
    > log level = 1
    > log file = /var/log/samba.log
    > os level = 33
    > preferred master = No
    > local master = No
    > wins server = x.x.x.x
    > read only = No
    > server string = SAMBA
    > security = DOMAIN
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > password server = PWDSRV
    >
    >public]
    > comment = This is testing only
    > path = /test
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes

  3. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    I've tried this without success. Solaris 8 samba version 2.2.8 with a
    WindowsNT4.0 PDC.
    There must be more to it. Is winbindd involved?

    If this worked correctly then from the PDC one should be able to
    exercise some control
    over the folders on the samba machine. No luck.

    Paul Orr

    --

    "This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential,
    and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any

  4. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    "Dale" wrote in message
    news:72329f51.0309101047.6c198473@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello
    > I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add
    > it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    > give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    > do their stuff on this file system.
    > The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    > same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    > windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    > has any idea how to resolve this.
    > Thanks
    >
    > my smb.conf file
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = COM
    > netbios name = XXXX
    > log level = 1
    > log file = /var/log/samba.log
    > os level = 33
    > preferred master = No
    > local master = No
    > wins server = x.x.x.x
    > read only = No
    > server string = SAMBA
    > security = DOMAIN
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > password server = PWDSRV
    >
    > public]
    > comment = This is testing only
    > path = /test
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes

    You have everything setup properly here. However, you don't need the
    smbpasswd's. User accounts are handled by the domain. Your Samba server is a
    member of the domain so it uses the domain for user authentication. All you
    need is a unix account with the same logon name as the domain account (or
    use the smbusers file to translate). The password's don't have to be the
    same.

    How are the users logging on to their systems ? to an account on their local
    computer or to a domain account ? If it's a local account, the passwords are
    getting changed on the local computer but not on the domain. They have to
    logon to the domain for the domain model to work.

    Just a small tweak, you can specify:

    password server = *

    Samba will resolve the password server just like the windows workstations
    do. That way, if PWDSRV is down, it can use one of the other servers if you
    have any.

  5. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    "Paul Orr" wrote in message
    news:aMN7b.829$oz5.146@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > I've tried this without success. Solaris 8 samba version 2.2.8 with a
    > WindowsNT4.0 PDC.
    > There must be more to it. Is winbindd involved?

    You can use winbind, otherwise you need a unix account for every windows
    user or use the smbusers file.

    > If this worked correctly then from the PDC one should be able to
    > exercise some control
    > over the folders on the samba machine. No luck.
    >
    > Paul Orr
    >
    > Gaurav Walia wrote:
    >
    > > here you go. Add this to your smb.conf file
    > >
    > > # Use password server option only with security = server
    > > # The argument list may include:
    > > # password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
    > > # or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
    > > # password server = *
    > > security = DOMAIN
    > > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > > password server = dc1, dc2,
    > > -- add your windows domain controller servers here ex. is dc1,
    > > dc2. Start with your master dc.
    > >
    > > good luck
    > >

    > > Dale wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8
    > >> and add
    > >> it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    > >> give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    > >> do their stuff on this file system.
    > >> The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    > >> same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    > >> windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    > >> has any idea how to resolve this.
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> my smb.conf file # Global parameters
    > >> [global]
    > >> workgroup = COM
    > >> netbios name = XXXX
    > >> log level = 1
    > >> log file = /var/log/samba.log
    > >> os level = 33
    > >> preferred master = No
    > >> local master = No
    > >> wins server = x.x.x.x
    > >> read only = No
    > >> server string = SAMBA
    > >> security = DOMAIN
    > >> encrypt passwords = Yes
    > >> password server = PWDSRV
    > >>
    > >> public]
    > >> comment = This is testing only
    > >> path = /test
    > >> browseable = yes
    > >> writable = yes
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > "This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential,
    > and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
    > review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments

    thereto)
    > by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
    > please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original
    > and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto."

  6. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    Hello all
    Thanks for your suggestions.But I fixed the problem.Only thing I have
    to do is make security = Server instead of DOMAIN in the smb.conf
    file and restart smb.
    Thanks

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:...
    > "Dale" wrote in message
    > news:72329f51.0309101047.6c198473@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello
    > > I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add
    > > it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    > > give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    > > do their stuff on this file system.
    > > The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    > > same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    > > windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    > > has any idea how to resolve this.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > my smb.conf file
    > > # Global parameters
    > > [global]
    > > workgroup = COM
    > > netbios name = XXXX
    > > log level = 1
    > > log file = /var/log/samba.log
    > > os level = 33
    > > preferred master = No
    > > local master = No
    > > wins server = x.x.x.x
    > > read only = No
    > > server string = SAMBA
    > > security = DOMAIN
    > > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > > password server = PWDSRV
    > >
    > > public]
    > > comment = This is testing only
    > > path = /test
    > > browseable = yes
    > > writable = yes

    > You have everything setup properly here. However, you don't need the
    > smbpasswd's. User accounts are handled by the domain. Your Samba server is a
    > member of the domain so it uses the domain for user authentication. All you
    > need is a unix account with the same logon name as the domain account (or
    > use the smbusers file to translate). The password's don't have to be the
    > same.
    >
    > How are the users logging on to their systems ? to an account on their local
    > computer or to a domain account ? If it's a local account, the passwords are
    > getting changed on the local computer but not on the domain. They have to
    > logon to the domain for the domain model to work.
    >
    > Just a small tweak, you can specify:
    >
    > password server = *
    >
    > Samba will resolve the password server just like the windows workstations
    > do. That way, if PWDSRV is down, it can use one of the other servers if you
    > have any.

  7. Re: User access from windows to samba server

    "Dale" wrote in message
    news:72329f51.0309111124.32e4d83e@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello all
    > Thanks for your suggestions.But I fixed the problem.Only thing I have
    > to do is make security = Server instead of DOMAIN in the smb.conf
    > file and restart smb.
    > Thanks

    Great that you have it working. However, if security is a concern, you might
    want to look at the difference between security = SERVER or DOMAIN in the
    docs. DOMAIN is more secure.

    > > "Dale" wrote in message
    > > news:72329f51.0309101047.6c198473@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hello
    > > > I am new to samba.I have installed a samba 2.2.8 on solaris8 and add
    > > > it to the PDC.It joined the PDC without any problems.Now I have to
    > > > give access to some windows users to the samba server so that they can
    > > > do their stuff on this file system.
    > > > The problem is if I add the windows username using smbpasswd and give
    > > > same passwd as his domain it works fine.But by anychance if the
    > > > windows password is changed then getting access problems.Does anyone
    > > > has any idea how to resolve this.
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > my smb.conf file
    > > > # Global parameters
    > > > [global]
    > > > workgroup = COM
    > > > netbios name = XXXX
    > > > log level = 1
    > > > log file = /var/log/samba.log
    > > > os level = 33
    > > > preferred master = No
    > > > local master = No
    > > > wins server = x.x.x.x
    > > > read only = No
    > > > server string = SAMBA
    > > > security = DOMAIN
    > > > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > > > password server = PWDSRV
    > > >
    > > > public]
    > > > comment = This is testing only
    > > > path = /test
    > > > browseable = yes
    > > > writable = yes

    > > You have everything setup properly here. However, you don't need the
    > > smbpasswd's. User accounts are handled by the domain. Your Samba server

    is a
    > > member of the domain so it uses the domain for user authentication. All

    you
    > > need is a unix account with the same logon name as the domain account

    (or
    > > use the smbusers file to translate). The password's don't have to be the
    > > same.
    > >
    > > How are the users logging on to their systems ? to an account on their

    local
    > > computer or to a domain account ? If it's a local account, the passwords

    are
    > > getting changed on the local computer but not on the domain. They have

    > > logon to the domain for the domain model to work.
    > >
    > > Just a small tweak, you can specify:
    > >
    > > password server = *
    > >
    > > Samba will resolve the password server just like the windows

    workstations
    > > do. That way, if PWDSRV is down, it can use one of the other servers if

    you
    > > have any.

+ Reply to Thread