Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98 - SMB

This is a discussion on Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98 - SMB ; Not sure who would best be able to help me, thus the x-posting. I have a user who was happily printing away up until last thursday or so. After that, she stopped being able to print to one printer. Details: ...

  1. Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98

    Not sure who would best be able to help me, thus the x-posting.

    I have a user who was happily printing away up until last thursday or so.
    After that, she stopped being able to print to one printer.

    Details:
    Print server runs RHL9, up2date'ed with all the latest.
    CUPS as print server
    Samba as SMB server
    Two shared printers - (1) HP LJ 2100, and (2) Tek Phaser 780. Both with
    NICs

    Client A runs Win98. She stopped being able to print to printer (1). She
    *can* still print to printer (2)

    Client B runs WinXP. He has no problems printing to either printer.

    Client C Runs RHL9. He also has no problems printing to either printer.

    Printers are shared via SMB to *all* clients.

    I checked the following logs:
    /var/log/cups/access_log
    /var/log/cups/error_log
    /var/log/samba/*

    I set the LogLevel to debug, warn, and info in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf at
    different times and tried printing test pages from Client A.

    I have not been able to find anything useful in any of those logs.

    Can anyone, at the very least, give me suggestions as to how I can debug
    this. Better, yet, of course, is someone who has seen similar problems
    and can actually provide a solution.

    I will post the relevant config file details as requested.

    Thanks!!
    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Johns Hopkins University | Baltimore, MD

  2. Re: Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98

    In alt.os.linux Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    W98 is a disaster. I would remove and reinstall the printer there first
    before worrying too much on the Linux end - especially since XP has no
    problem.

    Don Pettengill
    Agilent Laboratories

  3. Re: Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:04:01 +0000, don_pettengil wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >
    > W98 is a disaster. I would remove and reinstall the printer there first
    > before worrying too much on the Linux end - especially since XP has no
    > problem.
    >
    > Don Pettengill
    > Agilent Laboratories

    Thank you for the reply.

    Actually, though, I did exactly this. Remove/Reinstall printer on Win98
    client. It did not help.

    I also should note that the client can print *diectly* to the printer's HP
    JetDirect port.
    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Johns Hopkins University | Baltimore, MD
    Website | http://www.wse.jhu.edu/newtnotes/

  4. Re: Problems printing - Samba + CUPS on Linux shared to Windows 98

    In alt.os.linux Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    : Actually, though, I did exactly this. Remove/Reinstall printer on Win98
    : client. It did not help.

    : I also should note that the client can print *diectly* to the printer's HP
    : JetDirect port.

    Beats me :-) I have a CUPS/Samba setup at home with XP and W98 clients.
    Without exception, all problems with it have been on the Windoze end
    especially w98, except for one memorable debugging session: after
    several reinstallations (and much else), I finally remembered to turn
    the printer on :-)

    What is the symptom on the W98 end? Does the job stay in the printer
    spool queue or does it disappear (as if accepted and printed)? Are you
    sending postscript at the PC end, or raw printer files? Have you
    disabled bidirectional communication?

    Don Pettengill
    Agilent Laboratories

+ Reply to Thread