Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles - SMB

This is a discussion on Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles - SMB ; I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address and share ...

  1. Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool
    in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords
    turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address
    and share name (\\10.0.10.8\share). Unfortunately, when I use the MS
    browsing system to get to the machine or enter its NETBIOS
    name(\\theserver\share) I get the following error: " \\theserver is not
    accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station"

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    "James Lavery" wrote in message

    > I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool
    > in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords
    > turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address
    > and share name (\\10.0.10.8\share). Unfortunately, when I use the MS
    > browsing system to get to the machine or enter its NETBIOS
    > name(\\theserver\share) I get the following error: " \\theserver is not
    > accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station"
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Sounds like your name resolution isn't working. Do you have subnets ?

  3. Re: Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    In article , james.lavery@comcast.net
    says...

    > I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool
    > in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords
    > turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address
    > and share name (\\10.0.10.8\share). Unfortunately, when I use the MS
    > browsing system to get to the machine or enter its NETBIOS
    > name(\\theserver\share) I get the following error: " \\theserver is not
    > accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station"
    >
    > Any ideas?

    3 things:

    #1 When posting, include your smb.conf file, pertinent log file output
    etc. It makes for easier troubleshooting and less guess work.

    #2 Can you ping each computer by name?? If not, you have a DNS problem,
    not a Samba problem.

    #3 "The account is not authorized to log in from this station"
    This usaally caused by not having encrypted passwords set as a global
    parameter

    1 more tidbit, ensure that if you are running Redhat's firewall that you
    open ports 137-139. They are needed for the smb protocol...

    See my webpage below for more help.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  4. Re: Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    Nope no subnets..

  5. Re: Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    > I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool
    > in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords
    > turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address
    > and share name (\\10.0.10.8\share). Unfortunately, when I use the MS
    > browsing system to get to the machine or enter its NETBIOS
    > name(\\theserver\share) I get the following error: " \\theserver is not
    > accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station"

    I get a similiar error when I try to access the share from a system logged
    on to a different domain. I can access the share using the IP address as you
    have. So, is the workstation in the same workgroup as the Samba server ? If
    so, are you logging onto the domain, or just to the local computer ? If you
    can logon with the IP address, I suspect the user accounts are working. Also
    if you can, post your smb.conf file here.

    > Nope no subnets..

  6. Re: Red Hat 9, Samba 2.2.77a, Windows XP troubles

    Trouble shooting
    1. type in command line "service smb status" - check if the samba
    service is on
    if service is running you should get
    example:
    smbd (pid 1108) is running...
    nmbd (pid 1113) is running...

    a. type in command line "service smb start" - turn on the service

    2. try to connect again

    Firewall issue

    1. command line type "smbclient -L -N" from command line not
    on your server
    2. if you get any errors in the output then it's a firewall issue.
    3. you can configure your firewall or turn it off to test samba

    turn off firewall:
    service iptables stop
    service ipchains stop

    turn on firewall
    service iptables start
    service ipchains start

    Good luck hope it helps

    James Lavery wrote:

    >I've setup Samba server 2.2.7a using the "Samba Server Configuration" tool
    >in Red Hat 9. It's setup for Domain authentication with Encrypt passwords
    >turned on. All works fine if I connect to the server using the IP address
    >and share name (\\10.0.10.8\share). Unfortunately, when I use the MS
    >browsing system to get to the machine or enter its NETBIOS
    >name(\\theserver\share) I get the following error: " \\theserver is not
    >accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    >Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    >permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station"
    >
    >Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread