Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares? - SMB

This is a discussion on Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares? - SMB ; Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares? Perhaps this sounds like a stupid question, but please read on before answering. Having installed GIMP-print v4.2.4-rc1 drivers on my Mac OS X 10.2.6 system (which uses CUPS), I tried to ...

  1. Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?

    Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?

    Perhaps this sounds like a stupid question, but please read on before
    answering.

    Having installed GIMP-print v4.2.4-rc1 drivers on my Mac OS X 10.2.6 system
    (which uses CUPS), I tried to map a printer share on a Windows XP Pro system
    (using the URI smb://winxp/stylus850). CUPS was reporting the following two
    errors in /var/log/cups/error_log:

    cli_connect() failed
    Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...: Invalid
    argument

    Attempts to list the available shares with smbclient resulted in a similar
    error:

    smbclient -L winxp
    added interface ip=192.168.1.101 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    error connecting to 192.168.1.1:139 (Invalid argument)
    Error connecting to 192.168.1.1 (Invalid argument)
    Connection to winxp failed.

    smbclient can be made to work by changing the configuration on the Windows
    XP box. From the Network Connections window, right click on "Local Area
    Connection" and then select Properties. Select the "Internet Protocol
    (TCP/IP) and select Properties. Click on the Advanced button and then the
    WINS tab. If NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled, smbclient on the Mac fails.
    If enabled, the above smbclient command successfully displays the list of
    shares available on the winxp node.

    I didn't think that printer shares used the NetBIOS protocol any more (they
    use RPC instead, right?). Indeed, I can connect to the printer share from a
    separate W2K box with NetBIOS disabled on the WinXP box proving that NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP is not required

    Why is SAMBA (version 2.2.3a (build 26)) on the Mac using the old style
    protocol? Did I miss a configuration setting?

    ----------
    For others trying to configure a printer, the above change didn't fix all my
    problems. /var/log/cups/error_log reported:

    SMB session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...: Undefined
    error: 0

    And in the Windows XP event viewer, the security log was reporting the
    failure. I ended up having to change the URI on the Mac to
    "smb://guest@winxp/Stylus850". That and a 'kill -HUP '
    command to restart the cups daemon got things rolling.

  2. Re: Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?

    "Brett Hunsaker" wrote in message
    > Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?
    >
    > Perhaps this sounds like a stupid question, but please read on before
    > answering.

    snip
    > I didn't think that printer shares used the NetBIOS protocol any more

    (they
    > use RPC instead, right?). Indeed, I can connect to the printer share from

    > separate W2K box with NetBIOS disabled on the WinXP box proving that

    NetBIOS
    > over TCP/IP is not required
    >
    > Why is SAMBA (version 2.2.3a (build 26)) on the Mac using the old style
    > protocol? Did I miss a configuration setting?

    I think you are mixing up things here ..
    afaik samba is working over smb protocol which needs Netbios over tcp/ip
    (over the 13x ports)

    This is independent from the fact that you can print with direct tcp/ip
    under w2k because you can define an "IP port" (or the generic name of the
    printer if it is linked to the ip nr in any way, hosts or dns) as being the
    taget for a specific printer. This is equivalent to what was used by HP as
    jetdirect in a previous life :-)

    A similar quite intransparent protocol exists on the mac where you can print
    to a printer in yr local zone (and beyond?) just by scanning the LAN and
    defining the printer ..

    I don't think this is the "old" protocol, it just is smb protocol that's all

    someone correct me if I'm wrong ..

  3. Re: Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?

    Check out the following document:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...nnectivity.doc

    which contains the following statement:

    ---
    Windows clients typically connect to a print server through a remote
    procedure call (RPC) or SMB service. RPC connections are the preferred
    connection type, as they support the enhanced Point-and-Print features. SMB
    connections are associated primarily with Windows 98 and earlier systems...
    ---

    So SAMBA uses the SMB style of connection to printer shares. That's OK
    since SAMBA was originally intended to reverse engineer the SMB protocol. I
    was just hoping that my Mac had the ability to connect to a printer share
    using the RPC style to avoid NetBIOS.

    From the same article, it says Windows supports IPP, but that IIS needs to
    be turned on. I'm sure that one of these days Microsoft will allow you to
    use Windows features without having to open up holes on your system...

  4. Re: Does SAMBA require NetBIOS over TCP/IP for printer shares?

    In article , "Brett Hunsaker" wrote:
    >Check out the following document:
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...nnectivity.doc
    >
    >which contains the following statement:
    >
    >---
    >Windows clients typically connect to a print server through a remote
    >procedure call (RPC) or SMB service. RPC connections are the preferred
    >connection type, as they support the enhanced Point-and-Print features. SMB
    >connections are associated primarily with Windows 98 and earlier systems...
    >---

    that's exactly what I said except I did it with a more "practical" example ..
    :-) re-read my comment .. :-)

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

+ Reply to Thread