Samba 3.0 and Active directory - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3.0 and Active directory - SMB ; I'm trying to set up a RH9 server to authenticate via my windows 2003 server. I'm assuming this is possible, I found several articles that discuss it, but none are complete. Anyone know where I can find some good documentation? ...

  1. Samba 3.0 and Active directory

    I'm trying to set up a RH9 server to authenticate via my windows 2003
    server. I'm assuming this is possible, I found several articles that
    discuss it, but none are complete. Anyone know where I can find some good
    documentation? Step by step stuff would be prefered, years of working on
    windows servers has effectively made me too stupid to be a real linus admin.

    Thanks,

    Brian

  2. Re: Samba 3.0 and Active directory

    Linux, or just Samba ? for Linux, look at the Winbind documentation. This
    allows Linux to use a Windows DC for authentication. If it's just for Samba
    authentication it is much easier.

    "Brian Powers" wrote in message
    news:0ov6b.49258$Ay2.12728371@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
    > I'm trying to set up a RH9 server to authenticate via my windows 2003
    > server. I'm assuming this is possible, I found several articles that
    > discuss it, but none are complete. Anyone know where I can find some good
    > documentation? Step by step stuff would be prefered, years of working on
    > windows servers has effectively made me too stupid to be a real linus

    admin.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

  3. Re: Samba 3.0 and Active directory

    Just Samba right now. Glad to hear it's easier )

    "m.marien" wrote in message
    > Linux, or just Samba ? for Linux, look at the Winbind documentation. This
    > allows Linux to use a Windows DC for authentication. If it's just for

    Samba
    > authentication it is much easier.
    >
    > "Brian Powers" wrote in message
    > news:0ov6b.49258$Ay2.12728371@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
    > > I'm trying to set up a RH9 server to authenticate via my windows 2003
    > > server. I'm assuming this is possible, I found several articles that
    > > discuss it, but none are complete. Anyone know where I can find some

    good
    > > documentation? Step by step stuff would be prefered, years of working

    on
    > > windows servers has effectively made me too stupid to be a real linus

    > admin.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Brian

  4. Re: Samba 3.0 and Active directory

    "Brian Powers" wrote in message
    news:jwy6b.51316$Ay2.13521328@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
    > Just Samba right now. Glad to hear it's easier )

    Look for "security = domain in Samba 2.x" in the docs or here:

    http://ca.samba.org/samba/docs/man/S...OMAIN-SECURITY

    If you have the Samba working the following three lines need to be in the
    smb.conf file:

    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = *

    You also have to join the Samba server to the domain as explained in the
    docs.

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > > Linux, or just Samba ? for Linux, look at the Winbind documentation.

    This
    > > allows Linux to use a Windows DC for authentication. If it's just for

    > Samba
    > > authentication it is much easier.
    > >
    > > "Brian Powers" wrote in message
    > > news:0ov6b.49258$Ay2.12728371@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
    > > > I'm trying to set up a RH9 server to authenticate via my windows 2003
    > > > server. I'm assuming this is possible, I found several articles that
    > > > discuss it, but none are complete. Anyone know where I can find some

    > good
    > > > documentation? Step by step stuff would be prefered, years of working

    > on
    > > > windows servers has effectively made me too stupid to be a real linus

    > > admin.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Brian

+ Reply to Thread