Samba / Windows Domain Controller - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba / Windows Domain Controller - SMB ; When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to achieving this? thanks...

  1. Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to
    authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain
    Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to achieving
    this?

    thanks

  2. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Gaurav Walia" wrote in message
    > When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to
    > authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain
    > Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to achieving
    > this?

    I'm running an XP node for students where the samba server does the
    authentication .. you have to create all the users as linux users and then
    have them as valid users into the smb database through "smbpasswd -a
    "
    You can even block access on the XP workstations if authentication fails
    (through gpedit.msc)
    This is documented in the samba docs scattered over the internet alas ..
    HTH ?

  3. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Gaurav Walia" wrote in message
    > When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to
    > authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain
    > Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to achieving
    > this?
    >
    > thanks

    If you have a Windows domain, then join the Samba server to the domain and
    use:

    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = *

    Anyone that logs on to the domain can then use the Samba resources.

  4. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    In article , "m.marien" wrote:

    >"Gaurav Walia" wrote in message
    >> When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to
    >> authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain
    >> Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to achieving
    >> this?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >If you have a Windows domain, then join the Samba server to the domain and
    >use:
    >
    >security = DOMAIN

    why
    security = domain ?

    what is wrong with
    security = user ? or what is the effect of using domain instead ?
    from the docs, to me this difference is more philosofical than practical ? :-)

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

  5. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    wrote:

    > >"Gaurav Walia" wrote in message
    > >> When connecting to the Linux server through samba is there way to
    > >> authenticate the username/password of the user to the Windows Domain
    > >> Controller server? If so can anyone provide me a direction to

    achieving
    > >> this?
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>

    > >If you have a Windows domain, then join the Samba server to the domain

    and
    > >use:
    > >
    > >security = DOMAIN

    > why
    > security = domain ?

    Management of user accounts is central on the domain controllers. (domain
    model)

    > what is wrong with
    > security = user ?

    Management of user accounts is on individual computers. (peer to peer model)

    When you add a user account in the domain, you just add it once to the
    central database. When you add a user account to a peer to peer workgroup,
    you have to add the username/password to every computer that has resources
    that the user might use. You can see if there are many users and many
    resources, just having to add the user account once is much easier. Also if
    the user changes his password, it will break the peer to peer workgroup. He
    will have to change it on every server.

    > or what is the effect of using domain instead ? from the docs, to me this

    difference is more philosofical than practical ? :-)

    You are right about the security = USER = DOMAIN = SERVER. It is basically
    the same in that once the server accepts the authentication
    (username/password) the user has access to all the resources on the
    computer. In the domain, once the authentication is accepted, the user has
    access to all the resources in the domain which contains many computers with
    many resources. Think of the domain as one entity instead of single
    computers joined by a network. Kind of a borg thing.

    The networks that I manage are small (<12 computers/users), but I still use
    the domain model to simplify account management.

    > --
    > remove_clothes to answer over email

  6. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > > In article , "m.marien"

    > wrote:
    > > >
    > > >"Gaurav Walia" wrote in message

    > achieving
    > > why
    > > security = domain ?
    > >

    > Management of user accounts is central on the domain controllers. (domain
    > model)
    >
    > > what is wrong with
    > > security = user ?

    > Management of user accounts is on individual computers. (peer to peer

    model)

    I have saved yr answer for further use but if I follow yr explanation
    something is not working as expected in my situation ..

    I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain ..+
    roaming profiles ..

    Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles are
    created from a "dummy" user profile on one of the XP machines which was
    copied to the server's appropriate share .. from there all new
    (linux/smb)users get the same default profile. I am not creating any
    (additional) users on the workstations ie if a user logs in in a workstation
    and he defines domain as being "local pc" then his login fails .. if he logs
    in with the domain setting = "correct domain" then he gets the roaming
    profile from the server and logs in .. so what would I gain by setting
    security=domain ? that puzzles me now :-)

  7. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "imbsysop" wrote in message

    Domain

    > > achieving
    > > > why
    > > > security = domain ?
    > > >

    > > Management of user accounts is central on the domain controllers.

    (domain
    > > model)
    > >
    > > > what is wrong with
    > > > security = user ?

    > > Management of user accounts is on individual computers. (peer to peer

    > model)
    > >

    > I have saved yr answer for further use but if I follow yr explanation
    > something is not working as expected in my situation ..
    >
    > I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain ..+
    > roaming profiles ..
    >
    > Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles are
    > created from a "dummy" user profile on one of the XP machines which was
    > copied to the server's appropriate share .. from there all new
    > (linux/smb)users get the same default profile. I am not creating any
    > (additional) users on the workstations ie if a user logs in in a

    workstation
    > and he defines domain as being "local pc" then his login fails .. if he

    logs
    > in with the domain setting = "correct domain" then he gets the roaming
    > profile from the server and logs in .. so what would I gain by setting
    > security=domain ? that puzzles me now :-)

    Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your Samba
    server is your PDC:

    security = USER
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes

    I might have misunderstood original question. I thought he already had a
    Windows DC, in which case you want to point authentication to the Windows DC
    as I have shown above.

  8. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    In article , "m.marien" RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > Domain
    > > > achieving
    > > > >
    > > > Management of user accounts is central on the domain controllers.

    > (domain
    > > > model)

    > > > Management of user accounts is on individual computers. (peer to peer

    > > model)
    > > >

    > > I have saved yr answer for further use but if I follow yr explanation
    > > something is not working as expected in my situation ..
    > >
    > > I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain ..+
    > > roaming profiles ..
    > >
    > > Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles are
    > > created from a "dummy" user profile on one of the XP machines which was
    > > copied to the server's appropriate share .. from there all new
    > > (linux/smb)users get the same default profile. I am not creating any
    > > (additional) users on the workstations ie if a user logs in in a

    > workstation
    > > and he defines domain as being "local pc" then his login fails .. if he

    > logs
    > > in with the domain setting = "correct domain" then he gets the roaming
    > > profile from the server and logs in .. so what would I gain by setting
    > > security=domain ? that puzzles me now :-)
    > >

    > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your Samba
    > server is your PDC:
    >
    > security = USER
    > domain logons = Yes

    Domain logons parameter is only needed when Samba server will serve
    Windows 95/98 Domain logons.
    For NT, 2000, and XP clients this is an uneeded parameter.

    From the Samba PDC Howto

    domain logons (G)

    If set to yes, the Samba server will serve Windows 95/98 Domain logons
    for the workgroup it is in. Samba 2.2 also has limited capability to act
    as a domain controller for Windows NT 4 Domains. For more details on
    setting up this feature see the Samba-PDC-HOWTO included in the
    htmldocs/ directory shipped with the source code.
    Default: domain logons = no

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > In article , "m.marien" > RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...
    > >
    > > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "m.marien" wrote in message

    > > Domain

    > > (domain

    peer
    > > > model)
    > > > >

    > > > I have saved yr answer for further use but if I follow yr explanation
    > > > something is not working as expected in my situation ..
    > > >
    > > > I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain

    ...+
    > > > roaming profiles ..
    > > >
    > > > Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles

    are
    > > > created from a "dummy" user profile on one of the XP machines which

    was
    > > > copied to the server's appropriate share .. from there all new
    > > > (linux/smb)users get the same default profile. I am not creating any
    > > > (additional) users on the workstations ie if a user logs in in a

    > > workstation
    > > > and he defines domain as being "local pc" then his login fails .. if

    he
    > > logs
    > > > in with the domain setting = "correct domain" then he gets the roaming
    > > > profile from the server and logs in .. so what would I gain by setting
    > > > security=domain ? that puzzles me now :-)
    > > >

    > > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your

    Samba
    > > server is your PDC:
    > >
    > > security = USER
    > > domain logons = Yes

    > Domain logons parameter is only needed when Samba server will serve
    > Windows 95/98 Domain logons.
    > For NT, 2000, and XP clients this is an uneeded parameter.
    >
    > From the Samba PDC Howto
    >
    > domain logons (G)
    >
    > If set to yes, the Samba server will serve Windows 95/98 Domain logons
    > for the workgroup it is in. Samba 2.2 also has limited capability to act
    > as a domain controller for Windows NT 4 Domains. For more details on
    > setting up this feature see the Samba-PDC-HOWTO included in the
    > htmldocs/ directory shipped with the source code.
    > Default: domain logons = no

    I think this is old documentation. The domain master = Yes line makes Samba
    the PDC. However, if you don't have the domains logon = Yes line, it will
    not allow domain logons which is the primary function of the PDC.

    I have a Samba server setup as a PDC. It has the three lines I mentioned
    here. When I removed the domain logons line (default = NO), I couldn't join
    my XP Pro system to the domain. I added the line back in and I can.

    The newer documentation is: How to Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary Domain
    Controller.

    > > domain master = Yes
    > >
    > > I might have misunderstood original question. I thought he already had a
    > > Windows DC, in which case you want to point authentication to the

    Windows DC
    > > as I have shown above.
    > >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Mark
    > Samba Setup Guide
    > www.samba.netfirms.com
    >
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  10. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > > > Management of user accounts is central on the domain controllers.

    > (domain
    > > > model)

    > > > Management of user accounts is on individual computers. (peer to peer

    > > model)
    > > >

    > > I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain ..+
    > > roaming profiles ..
    > >
    > > Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles

    are
    > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your

    Samba
    > server is your PDC:
    >
    > security = USER
    > domain logons = Yes
    > domain master = Yes

    ok now we're in sync again :-) that is the way it is working here indeed :-)

    thnx

  11. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    In article , "m.marien" RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...

    > > > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your

    > Samba
    > > > server is your PDC:
    > > >
    > > > security = USER
    > > > domain logons = Yes

    > > Domain logons parameter is only needed when Samba server will serve
    > > Windows 95/98 Domain logons.
    > > For NT, 2000, and XP clients this is an uneeded parameter.
    > >
    > > From the Samba PDC Howto
    > >
    > > domain logons (G)
    > >
    > > If set to yes, the Samba server will serve Windows 95/98 Domain logons
    > > for the workgroup it is in. Samba 2.2 also has limited capability to act
    > > as a domain controller for Windows NT 4 Domains. For more details on
    > > setting up this feature see the Samba-PDC-HOWTO included in the
    > > htmldocs/ directory shipped with the source code.
    > > Default: domain logons = no
    > >

    > I think this is old documentation. The domain master = Yes line makes Samba
    > the PDC. However, if you don't have the domains logon = Yes line, it will
    > not allow domain logons which is the primary function of the PDC.

    Hmmm....I have never had to use "domain logons" parameter for any of my
    pc's nor my clients which now number in the 100's. I am running a
    win2000 pc which at this moment and for the last 2 years has been able
    to log onto a Samba PDC with no problems withoout "domain logons"

    David Lechnyr's documentation also does not mention this parameter for a
    PDC.

    This might be an XP thing but I truely doubt it, but I cannot tell you
    as I do not run XP nor do I plan to anytime soon.

    > I have a Samba server setup as a PDC. It has the three lines I mentioned
    > here. When I removed the domain logons line (default = NO), I couldn't join
    > my XP Pro system to the domain. I added the line back in and I can.

    > The newer documentation is: How to Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary Domain
    > Controller.

    Not to get into a pissing contest....however in 2.2.8 the doc filename
    is called Samba PDC Howto, however the doc title itself is called How to
    Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary Domain Controller....
    In Samba 3.x beta it is called samba-pdc

    --
    Regards,
    Mark
    Samba Setup Guide
    www.samba.netfirms.com

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  12. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    Domain Master = yes makes the samba pdc the hold the domain master browse
    list it has nothing to do with authentication.
    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > > (domain

    peer
    > > > model)
    > > > >

    > > > I'm using security=user .. and use the samba as a PDC for my domain

    ...+
    > > > roaming profiles ..
    > > >
    > > > Now I manage all users on the server (Linux RH9) and all user profiles

    > are
    > > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your

    > Samba
    > > server is your PDC:
    > >
    > > security = USER
    > > domain logons = Yes
    > > domain master = Yes

    > ok now we're in sync again :-) that is the way it is working here indeed

    :-)

    > thnx

  13. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > In article , "m.marien" > RiverCityCanada(dot)com> says...

    your
    > > Samba

    > > > Domain logons parameter is only needed when Samba server will serve
    > > > Windows 95/98 Domain logons.
    > > > For NT, 2000, and XP clients this is an uneeded parameter.
    > > >
    > > > From the Samba PDC Howto
    > > >
    > > > domain logons (G)
    > > >
    > > > If set to yes, the Samba server will serve Windows 95/98 Domain logons
    > > > for the workgroup it is in. Samba 2.2 also has limited capability to

    act
    > > > as a domain controller for Windows NT 4 Domains. For more details on
    > > > setting up this feature see the Samba-PDC-HOWTO included in the
    > > > htmldocs/ directory shipped with the source code.
    > > > Default: domain logons = no
    > > >

    > > I think this is old documentation. The domain master = Yes line makes

    Samba
    > > the PDC. However, if you don't have the domains logon = Yes line, it

    will
    > > not allow domain logons which is the primary function of the PDC.

    > Hmmm....I have never had to use "domain logons" parameter for any of my
    > pc's nor my clients which now number in the 100's. I am running a
    > win2000 pc which at this moment and for the last 2 years has been able
    > to log onto a Samba PDC with no problems withoout "domain logons"
    >
    > David Lechnyr's documentation also does not mention this parameter for a
    > PDC.
    >
    > This might be an XP thing but I truely doubt it, but I cannot tell you
    > as I do not run XP nor do I plan to anytime soon.

    OK you have my attention. I did some more experimenting. If I turn off the
    "domain logons", I get the following error on NT4 systems:

    A domain controller for your domain cannot be contacted. You have been
    logged on using cached account information.

    The system event message is:

    No Domain Controller is available for domain MYGROUP due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    ..
    Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If
    the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

    I don't get the error dialog on XP Pro systems, but there is a long delay at
    logon and the system event message is the same as the NT4 system. If I try
    to log on to the domain with a user account that doesn't have cached
    information (never logged on to this system before) I get the following
    dialog:

    The system cannot log you on now because the domain MYGROUP is not
    available.

    So how do you use a Samba server in a "(from above) limited capability to
    act as a domain controller for Windows NT 4 Domains" without "domain logons"
    ? If you don't logon to the domain, where do you logon to ?

    > > I have a Samba server setup as a PDC. It has the three lines I mentioned
    > > here. When I removed the domain logons line (default = NO), I couldn't

    join
    > > my XP Pro system to the domain. I added the line back in and I can.

    > > The newer documentation is: How to Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary

    Domain
    > > Controller.

    > Not to get into a pissing contest....however in 2.2.8 the doc filename
    > is called Samba PDC Howto, however the doc title itself is called How to
    > Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary Domain Controller....
    > In Samba 3.x beta it is called samba-pdc
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Mark
    > Samba Setup Guide
    > www.samba.netfirms.com
    >
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  14. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Jon Coppin" wrote in message
    news:%Gx6b.108034$la.2432983@news1.calgary.shaw.ca ...
    > Domain Master = yes makes the samba pdc the hold the domain master browse
    > list it has nothing to do with authentication.

    Yes that is true, with

    security = USER
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = NO

    The Samba Server is a BDC rather than a PDC. It will handle authentication,
    but is not the domain master browser as you say. However, from the docs:

    When is the PDC needed?
    Whenever a user wants to change his password, this has to be done on the
    PDC. To find the PDC, the workstation does a NetBIOS name query for
    SAMBA#1b, assuming this machine maintains the master copy of the SAM. The
    workstation contacts the PDC, both mutually authenticate and the password
    change is done.

    So while it has nothing to do with authentication, it is required for
    password updates.

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > > > (domain

    > peer

    > ..+

    profiles
    > > are
    > > > Ok - my mind is coming around now. You're correct, in your case, your

    > > Samba
    > > > server is your PDC:
    > > >
    > > > security = USER
    > > > domain logons = Yes
    > > > domain master = Yes

    > > ok now we're in sync again :-) that is the way it is working here indeed

    > :-)
    > >
    > > thnx

  15. Re: Samba / Windows Domain Controller

    "Jon Coppin" wrote in message
    news:%Gx6b.108034$la.2432983@news1.calgary.shaw.ca ...
    > Domain Master = yes makes the samba pdc the hold the domain master browse
    > list it has nothing to do with authentication.

    I do not recall having said anything about DMB lists whatsoever ???

+ Reply to Thread