samba share / file permissions - SMB

This is a discussion on samba share / file permissions - SMB ; I was wondering if someone could provide some insight in the following issue. I have an samba (2.2) share on a Linux (RH AS) server essentially I would like to place application installers on this server so that the windows ...

  1. samba share / file permissions

    I was wondering if someone could provide some insight in the following
    issue. I have an samba (2.2) share on a Linux (RH AS) server
    essentially I would like to place application installers on this server
    so that the windows users can install applications on their local hard
    drive. ( I have achieved this.)

    Issue:

    I would like the above mention capability however I would also like to
    restrict users from dragging and copying the files off this samba share
    to their computers.

    How can I achieve that target?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: samba share / file permissions

    Somebody will probably come up with a solution, but I'm going to say it's
    not possible.

    I assume the installers are .exe or .msi. and also assume these are
    commercial products so you don't have access to the source code. If you you
    want exec permissions on the files, you will also have to give it read
    permissions. You can't run a program without first reading it from the
    drive. Even if they are just .cab files, the setup program still needs to be
    able to read them. If you can read them, you can also copy them.