Printer Properties take 1-2 minutes to come-up on network printers - SMB

This is a discussion on Printer Properties take 1-2 minutes to come-up on network printers - SMB ; Hi folks, I have Red Hat 7.3 running Samba 2.2.1a, and when I try to pull-up Printer Properties to either our HP Laserjet 5n or Lexmark Optra Lx+ fron Windows 2000 Pro, it takes 1-2 minutes for the properties to ...

  1. Printer Properties take 1-2 minutes to come-up on network printers

    Hi folks,

    I have Red Hat 7.3 running Samba 2.2.1a, and when I try to pull-up
    Printer Properties to either our HP Laserjet 5n or Lexmark Optra Lx+
    fron Windows 2000 Pro, it takes 1-2 minutes for the properties to
    come-up. Once I start printing, it takes another 30 seconds to a
    minute for the print job to start printing.. where it prints fast
    after that point.

    Here's my /etc/printcap.local for the Lexmark -
    Webmaster_Lexmark:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Webmaster_Lexmark:\
    :rm=128.127.104.250:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :rp=:

    And here's my entry in smb.conf
    [Webmaster_Lexmark]
    comment = My Office
    path = /var/spool/samba
    guest ok = yes
    printable = yes
    force user = root
    printer name = Webmaster_Lexmark
    printer driver = Lexmark Optra L Plus Series

    The HP is setup the same way, but with appropriate names and driver.
    All prints and works fine... just very slow between when I select
    print properties and initiate the print job to when it starts
    printing. From that point, the printer prints fast.

    I changed my Samba errorlog level to 3 and reviewed the logs. Most of
    this is Greek to me, but I don't see any errors nor anything that
    jumps out. Anything I should look for specifically?

    Thanks for any suggestions or ideas,

    Alex.

  2. Re: Printer Properties take 1-2 minutes to come-up on network printers

    alex@totallynerd.com (Alex) wrote in message news:<2ba4b4eb.0309030659.625e848e@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have Red Hat 7.3 running Samba 2.2.1a, and when I try to pull-up
    > Printer Properties to either our HP Laserjet 5n or Lexmark Optra Lx+
    > fron Windows 2000 Pro, it takes 1-2 minutes for the properties to
    > come-up. Once I start printing, it takes another 30 seconds to a
    > minute for the print job to start printing.. where it prints fast
    > after that point.
    >
    > Here's my /etc/printcap.local for the Lexmark -
    > Webmaster_Lexmark:\
    > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Webmaster_Lexmark:\
    > :rm=128.127.104.250:\
    > :mx#0:\
    > :sh:\
    > :rp=:
    >
    > And here's my entry in smb.conf
    > [Webmaster_Lexmark]
    > comment = My Office
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > guest ok = yes
    > printable = yes
    > force user = root
    > printer name = Webmaster_Lexmark
    > printer driver = Lexmark Optra L Plus Series
    >
    > The HP is setup the same way, but with appropriate names and driver.
    > All prints and works fine... just very slow between when I select
    > print properties and initiate the print job to when it starts
    > printing. From that point, the printer prints fast.
    >
    > I changed my Samba errorlog level to 3 and reviewed the logs. Most of
    > this is Greek to me, but I don't see any errors nor anything that
    > jumps out. Anything I should look for specifically?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions or ideas,
    >
    > Alex.

    Alex - I'm having the EXACT same problem, although with HP 8100 and
    8150 printers and mostly XP clients...I'm connecting to the printers
    just fine, but it will typically take 2+ minutes to start printing a
    print job from an XP machine. If I launch notepad on an XP client and
    attempt to print from it, Notepad goes into a "not responding" state,
    and I get a hanging hourglass...for about 2 minutes. Then the print
    job prints. Trying to access printer properties is that same
    thing...around a 2 minute delay before anything opens up.

    Please post if you find a solution!

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread