Samba 2.2.8 / Win2K - HELP Please - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 2.2.8 / Win2K - HELP Please - SMB ; Ok. I have spent 4 days reading darn near everything I can find (short of every book in Barnes and Noble, etc). I have Samba 2.2.8a-1 presently (had 2.2.5 up before today...). Red Hat Linux 8. Single Windows 2000 SP4 ...

  1. Samba 2.2.8 / Win2K - HELP Please

    Ok. I have spent 4 days reading darn near everything I can find (short of
    every book in Barnes and Noble, etc).

    I have Samba 2.2.8a-1 presently (had 2.2.5 up before today...).
    Red Hat Linux 8.

    Single Windows 2000 SP4 (SP4 by updating, not fresh install). Using
    Workgroup designation.

    The Samba Server is announcing itself and I can see it via Windows Explorer.
    HOWEVER, when I click on the Samba Server I get the message \\Orion_srvr is
    not accessible. The Network Path was not found.

    I am running two NIC's in both the Linux box and the Win2K box. They are
    purposely on different address ranges for security purposes.
    The Samba Server allows connections on the 192.168.0.5 range. The
    67.42.41.xxx is static and I do not want access to samba outside this
    office.... I have stripped down all of the protocols and have even
    temporarily disabled one of the NIC's in the Win2K box. Yet the same error
    message comes up.

    My smb.log file is showing on the service starting up. There seems to be no
    indication of failure to connect to the service in the log files.

    Any information that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    - Miron

    smb.conf - begin
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = ORION_CF
    netbios name = ORION_SRVR
    server string = Samba Server
    interfaces = eth1
    security = SHARE
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    map to guest = Bad User
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    os level = 33
    remote browse sync = 192.168.0.255
    guest account = root

    [public]
    comment = Public Stuff
    path = /home/samba
    username = administrator
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

    [homes]
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    -=-=- [ END ] -=-=-

  2. Re: Samba 2.2.8 / Win2K - HELP Please

    In article <5m55b.116742$Ij4.114060@news2.central.cox.net>,
    miron@yahoo.com says...
    > Ok. I have spent 4 days reading darn near everything I can find (short of
    > every book in Barnes and Noble, etc).
    >
    > I have Samba 2.2.8a-1 presently (had 2.2.5 up before today...).
    > Red Hat Linux 8.
    >
    > Single Windows 2000 SP4 (SP4 by updating, not fresh install). Using
    > Workgroup designation.
    >
    > The Samba Server is announcing itself and I can see it via Windows Explorer.
    > HOWEVER, when I click on the Samba Server I get the message \\Orion_srvr is
    > not accessible. The Network Path was not found.
    >
    > I am running two NIC's in both the Linux box and the Win2K box. They are
    > purposely on different address ranges for security purposes.
    > The Samba Server allows connections on the 192.168.0.5 range. The
    > 67.42.41.xxx is static and I do not want access to samba outside this
    > office.... I have stripped down all of the protocols and have even
    > temporarily disabled one of the NIC's in the Win2K box. Yet the same error
    > message comes up.
    >
    > My smb.log file is showing on the service starting up. There seems to be no
    > indication of failure to connect to the service in the log files.
    >
    > Any information that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    > - Miron
    >
    > smb.conf - begin
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = ORION_CF
    > netbios name = ORION_SRVR
    > server string = Samba Server
    > interfaces = eth1
    > security = SHARE
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > map to guest = Bad User
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    > max log size = 50
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    > os level = 33
    > remote browse sync = 192.168.0.255
    > guest account = root
    >
    > [public]
    > comment = Public Stuff
    > path = /home/samba
    > username = administrator
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes
    >
    > [homes]
    > valid users = %S
    > read only = No
    > browseable = No

    Disable the Redhat firewall. This a FAQ in the archives
    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way