Another Samba - XP query - SMB

This is a discussion on Another Samba - XP query - SMB ; Got Samba 2.2.8 running on our SCO Openserver 5.0.5. When I connect to the server via 'my network places' it always prompts for a password. Can this be corrected. Thanks in advance....

  1. Another Samba - XP query

    Got Samba 2.2.8 running on our SCO Openserver 5.0.5.

    When I connect to the server via 'my network places' it always prompts for a
    password. Can this be corrected.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Another Samba - XP query

    Robbie Niblock wrote:

    > Got Samba 2.2.8 running on our SCO Openserver 5.0.5.
    >
    > When I connect to the server via 'my network places' it always prompts for a
    > password. Can this be corrected.

    Are you running a domain via SAMBA? If so is the client in the domain?
    If not, does the user have the same password on both systems?

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

  3. Re: Another Samba - XP query

    "Rob MacGregor" wrote in message
    > Robbie Niblock wrote:
    >
    > > Got Samba 2.2.8 running on our SCO Openserver 5.0.5.
    > >
    > > When I connect to the server via 'my network places' it always prompts

    for a
    > > password. Can this be corrected.

    > Are you running a domain via SAMBA? If so is the client in the domain?
    > If not, does the user have the same password on both systems?
    >
    > --
    > Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    > The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

    We are running a Windows 2000 Domain. Samba is just set up on a workgroup.

    The users domain password matches the password on the UNIX machine.

    Thanks for the reply.

  4. Re: Another Samba - XP query

    If you have a domain why not join the Samba system to the domain. The DC's
    will then handle all the authentication. In the smb.conf file add:

    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = *

    from the docs:

    In order to join the domain, first stop all Samba daemons and run the
    command:
    root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password

    as we are joining the domain DOM and the PDC for that domain (the only
    machine that has write access to the domain SAM database) is DOMPDC. The
    Administrator%password is the login name and password for an account which
    has the necessary privilege to add machines to the domain. If this is
    successful you will see the message:

    smbpasswd: Joined domain DOM.

    "Robbie Niblock" wrote in message
    > "Rob MacGregor" wrote in message
    > > Robbie Niblock wrote:
    > >
    > > > Got Samba 2.2.8 running on our SCO Openserver 5.0.5.
    > > >
    > > > When I connect to the server via 'my network places' it always prompts

    > for a
    > > > password. Can this be corrected.

    > > Are you running a domain via SAMBA? If so is the client in the domain?
    > > If not, does the user have the same password on both systems?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You

    bastards!
    > > The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

    > We are running a Windows 2000 Domain. Samba is just set up on a workgroup.
    >
    > The users domain password matches the password on the UNIX machine.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.

  5. Re: Another Samba - XP query

    Excellent - thankyou.

    Now scenario C. If a user is running a SCO Openserver 5.0.5 with SAMBA 2.2.8
    and are not using a domain but a straightforward workgroup - how do you fix
    this XP login problem.

    Thanks in advance.

    "m.marien" wrote in message
    > If you have a domain why not join the Samba system to the domain. The DC's
    > will then handle all the authentication. In the smb.conf file add:
    >
    > security = DOMAIN
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > password server = *
    >
    > from the docs:
    >
    > In order to join the domain, first stop all Samba daemons and run the
    > command:
    > root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password
    >
    > as we are joining the domain DOM and the PDC for that domain (the only
    > machine that has write access to the domain SAM database) is DOMPDC. The
    > Administrator%password is the login name and password for an account which
    > has the necessary privilege to add machines to the domain. If this is
    > successful you will see the message:
    >
    > smbpasswd: Joined domain DOM.
    >

    > "Robbie Niblock" wrote in message
    > > "Rob MacGregor" wrote in message

    prompts
    > > for a
    > > >
    > > > Are you running a domain via SAMBA? If so is the client in the

    domain?
    > > > If not, does the user have the same password on both systems?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You

    > bastards!
    > > > The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

    > > We are running a Windows 2000 Domain. Samba is just set up on a

    workgroup.

    > > The users domain password matches the password on the UNIX machine.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.

  6. Re: Another Samba - XP query

    > Excellent - thankyou.
    >
    > Now scenario C. If a user is running a SCO Openserver 5.0.5 with SAMBA

    2.2.8
    > and are not using a domain but a straightforward workgroup - how do you

    fix
    > this XP login problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Good one, it shouldn't be challenging for a password. Can you browse the
    rest of the systems in the workgroup ? Are the XP systems still members of a
    domain or are they handling their own authentication ?

    Forget that, I just setup my Samba 2.2.7 server as a independent system with
    a workgroup the same as my domain name and as long as the username password
    is the same as what is in the smbpasswd file it didn't matter if it was
    logged on locally or the domain. Could be a 2.2.8 bug.

    Can we see the globals in your smb.conf file.

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > > If you have a domain why not join the Samba system to the domain. The

    DC's
    > > will then handle all the authentication. In the smb.conf file add:
    > >
    > > security = DOMAIN
    > > encrypt passwords = Yes
    > > password server = *
    > >
    > > from the docs:
    > >
    > > In order to join the domain, first stop all Samba daemons and run the
    > > command:
    > > root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password
    > >
    > > as we are joining the domain DOM and the PDC for that domain (the only
    > > machine that has write access to the domain SAM database) is DOMPDC. The
    > > Administrator%password is the login name and password for an account

    which
    > > has the necessary privilege to add machines to the domain. If this is
    > > successful you will see the message:
    > >
    > > smbpasswd: Joined domain DOM.
    > >

    > > "Robbie Niblock" wrote in message
    > > > "Rob MacGregor" wrote in message

    > prompts
    > > > for a

    > domain?

    > > bastards!
    > > >
    > > > We are running a Windows 2000 Domain. Samba is just set up on a

    > workgroup.
    > > >
    > > > The users domain password matches the password on the UNIX machine.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the reply.

+ Reply to Thread