Newbie Samba Linux & W2K - SMB

This is a discussion on Newbie Samba Linux & W2K - SMB ; I am new to Linux and Samba. I have read the HowTo and the man in the konsole and a couple of web sites. I need to set the smbpasswd for the user. I assume it is supposed to be ...

  1. Newbie Samba Linux & W2K

    I am new to Linux and Samba.

    I have read the HowTo and the man in the konsole and a couple of web sites.

    I need to set the smbpasswd for the user.
    I assume it is supposed to be done as root in the smb.conf file. I don't
    know how to open any apps as root. I am still very new to Linux about 20
    hours over about 4 weeks.

    My W2K box can see my Linux box and would probably connect if I have the
    smb password set. Another thing happens if I go into linNeighborhood and
    then try to access the Linux box from W2K. I get an error mesage that
    says: Can't access duplicate name on the network.

    TIA

  2. Re: Newbie Samba Linux & W2K

    jlg wrote:

    > I am new to Linux and Samba.
    >
    > I have read the HowTo and the man in the konsole and a couple of web sites.
    >
    > I need to set the smbpasswd for the user.

    man smbpasswd is a good place to start :-)

    Make sure you've created the user, then use smbpasswd to create him in
    the smbpasswd file.

    > My W2K box can see my Linux box and would probably connect if I have the
    > smb password set. Another thing happens if I go into linNeighborhood and
    > then try to access the Linux box from W2K. I get an error mesage that
    > says: Can't access duplicate name on the network.

    Ok, have you called your boxes the same thing? Are you using a domain
    name that's the same as the workgroup name?

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

  3. Re: Newbie Samba Linux & W2K

    Rob MacGregor wrote:
    > Ok, have you called your boxes the same thing? Are you using a domain
    > name that's the same as the workgroup name?

    This is a p-to-p network no domain, no dhcp server, the work group is
    the same on all boxes the box names are different from each other. If I
    don't have LinNeighborhood open in Linux I don't get this error message
    on the W2K boxes, only the dialog for the password. I suppose once I
    have figured out how to create the smbpasswd for the user I will be able
    to login to the linux box. If I have things set correctly should I be
    getting this error message when LinNeighborhood is open?

    Like I said in my 1st post I am new to Linux and Samba. I probably have
    several things set wrong. I tried to open webmin to set the smb.conf
    file but did not have some information so I back out. I also learned I
    did not have swat installed so I installed swat now I can't get into
    webmin or swat.

    This whole Linux thing is still very new and confusing but I will learn
    however painful because I can see already that Linux is a whole lot more
    stable and secure then Windows. My Linux box has not had to be shut down
    since I brought it up about 4 weeks ago. I also like installing and
    *not* have to reboot.

  4. Re: Newbie Samba Linux & W2K

    jlg wrote:
    > now I can't get into
    > webmin or swat.

    I still can't get into swat or webmin. I don't know what to look for to
    resolve this either.

    I got the smbpasswd set now I can actually access one box from the
    other. I will learn this! I am making progress.

  5. Re: Newbie Samba Linux & W2K

    jlg wrote:
    > jlg wrote:
    >
    >> now I can't get into webmin or swat.

    > I still can't get into swat or webmin. I don't know what to look for to
    > resolve this either.
    >
    > I got the smbpasswd set now I can actually access one box from the
    > other. I will learn this! I am making progress.

    I got the answer to what I was doing wrong.

    Webmin would only open from the console before swat was installed.

    Swat would not open in the web browser because it was not installed.

+ Reply to Thread