Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab - SMB ; JBev wrote: > Hi all, > I've been battling w/ mounting windows shares at boot for months now. I'm > running RH9. I can mount them manually, no prob. But, if I reboot my XP box > or the RH ...

  1. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    JBev wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I've been battling w/ mounting windows shares at boot for months now. I'm
    > running RH9. I can mount them manually, no prob. But, if I reboot my XP box
    > or the RH box, the RH9 system loses the mounts and I have to remount them
    > again and again and again, thus being more of a hassle than I want.
    >
    > List of things I tried:
    > 1. Make sure smbd and nmbd are running
    > 2. make sure my XP box is on
    > 3. create line in fstab:
    > a. //XP/share /mount smbfs (Switches in various combos)
    > noauto,uid=0,gid=0,username=name,password=pw,workg roup=WORKGROUP 0 0
    > b. tried it with: //XP/share /mount smbfs
    > credentials=/path/to/.smbpasswd 0
    > 0
    > 4. Just used noauto and put "mount /share" in rc.local
    > 5. Beat the computer with my fist
    > 6. Made sure that XP box had plaintext pw's enabled
    > 7. Created an account for root on XP box
    >
    > Like I said, I can manually mount it in a shell no problem, but can't
    > mount them in fstab - errors, hangs and death. What gives? Please help.
    >
    > JBev

    Try removing the "noauto" option, which means DON'T automatically mount
    this filesystem.

    Greg

  2. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    "Ga Mu" wrote in message
    news:CiO3b.127777$2x.37768@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.n et...
    > JBev wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > I've been battling w/ mounting windows shares at boot for months now.

    I'm
    > > running RH9. I can mount them manually, no prob. But, if I reboot my XP

    box
    > > or the RH box, the RH9 system loses the mounts and I have to remount

    them
    > > again and again and again, thus being more of a hassle than I want.
    > >
    > > List of things I tried:
    > > 1. Make sure smbd and nmbd are running
    > > 2. make sure my XP box is on
    > > 3. create line in fstab:
    > > a. //XP/share /mount smbfs (Switches in various combos)
    > > noauto,uid=0,gid=0,username=name,password=pw,workg roup=WORKGROUP

    0 0
    > > b. tried it with: //XP/share /mount smbfs
    > > credentials=/path/to/.smbpasswd 0
    > > 0
    > > 4. Just used noauto and put "mount /share" in rc.local
    > > 5. Beat the computer with my fist
    > > 6. Made sure that XP box had plaintext pw's enabled
    > > 7. Created an account for root on XP box
    > >
    > > Like I said, I can manually mount it in a shell no problem, but can't
    > > mount them in fstab - errors, hangs and death. What gives? Please help.
    > >
    > > JBev

    > Try removing the "noauto" option, which means DON'T automatically mount
    > this filesystem.

    Already did that. What I meant by "Switches in various combination", is that
    I've tried all these switches - not all at the same time, and all at the
    same time. When I used noauto, I then tried to use "mount /share" in my
    rc.local file, which would mount the file system later during boot, because
    rc.local gets loaded at the end (thinking that maybe it was a problem in
    load order during boot). It seems I've tried everything in the book to get
    the shares to load at boot. I don't want to have to mount them manually. I
    have the same problem at work and home. Both are RH9 servers. Any thoughts?

    Jason

  3. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    > Wierd...
    >
    > If I put the following in /etc/fstab:
    >
    > //winxp/Installables /mnt/samba smbfs credentials=/root/cred.smb 0 0
    >
    > and use mount with either the service name or the mount point (i.e.,
    > info in /etc/fstab is required to complete the mount), the mount occurs,
    > but 90% of the time, it never exits (I never get a shell prompt).
    >
    > If I specify everything on the command line (i.e., info in /etc/fstab is
    > not required) as in:
    >
    > mount -t smbfs //winxp/Installables /mnt/samba -o

    credentials=/root/cred.smb

    > The mount occurs and the exits properly every time.
    >
    > In either case, I get the same status message in
    > /var/log/samba/smbmount.log indicating everything is AOK.
    >
    > Good Luck!!
    >
    > Greg

    See, that's just it. I never get a shell. BUT, that's not even half of it. I
    boot to runlevel 5 (graphical in RH), and w/ an smb mount in fstab it fails
    to ever get past the mounting, thus my system never fully starts.

    I can do mount -t smbfs ...... and it works fine, smbmount too, but not in
    fstab. Is this a widely known issue? I asked the same ? in alt.linux.redhat
    and they said that mounting a dos drive in fstab was just about the most
    difficult thing to do, if it ever works at all. Let me know if there's ANY
    way it can be done right, or at all. Thanks in advance.

    Jason

  4. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    JBEV wrote:
    > See, that's just it. I never get a shell. BUT, that's not even half of it. I
    > boot to runlevel 5 (graphical in RH), and w/ an smb mount in fstab it fails
    > to ever get past the mounting, thus my system never fully starts.
    >
    > I can do mount -t smbfs ...... and it works fine, smbmount too, but not in
    > fstab. Is this a widely known issue? I asked the same ? in alt.linux.redhat
    > and they said that mounting a dos drive in fstab was just about the most
    > difficult thing to do, if it ever works at all. Let me know if there's ANY
    > way it can be done right, or at all. Thanks in advance.

    If I were trying to accomplish the same thing, at this point I would
    decide that I had wasted enough time banging my head against a bug and
    do the mount in /etc/rc.local, explicitly giving all parameters, so
    /etc/fstab is not required. If it still hangs, you could force the
    mount into the background so even if it never exits, your system startup
    can continue.

    mount -t smbfs //xp/share /mnt/here -o credentials=cred.smb &

    Good Luck!

    Greg

  5. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    IT WORKED! Thanks a ton.

    Jason

    "Ga Mu" wrote in message
    > JBEV wrote:
    > > See, that's just it. I never get a shell. BUT, that's not even half of

    it. I
    > > boot to runlevel 5 (graphical in RH), and w/ an smb mount in fstab it

    fails
    > > to ever get past the mounting, thus my system never fully starts.
    > >
    > > I can do mount -t smbfs ...... and it works fine, smbmount too, but not

    in
    > > fstab. Is this a widely known issue? I asked the same ? in

    alt.linux.redhat
    > > and they said that mounting a dos drive in fstab was just about the most
    > > difficult thing to do, if it ever works at all. Let me know if there's

    ANY
    > > way it can be done right, or at all. Thanks in advance.

    > If I were trying to accomplish the same thing, at this point I would
    > decide that I had wasted enough time banging my head against a bug and
    > do the mount in /etc/rc.local, explicitly giving all parameters, so
    > /etc/fstab is not required. If it still hangs, you could force the
    > mount into the background so even if it never exits, your system startup
    > can continue.
    >
    > mount -t smbfs //xp/share /mnt/here -o credentials=cred.smb &
    >

    > Good Luck!
    >
    > Greg

  6. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    JBEV wrote:

    > IT WORKED! Thanks a ton.
    >
    > Jason

    Did it work without the & or was it still hanging and you were forced to
    use the &?

    Glad I could help!

    Greg

  7. Re: Please help w/ SMB mounts in fstab

    "Ga Mu" wrote in message
    > JBEV wrote:
    >
    > > IT WORKED! Thanks a ton.
    > >
    > > Jason

    > Did it work without the & or was it still hanging and you were forced to
    > use the &?
    >
    > Glad I could help!
    >
    > Greg

    Had to use the &. BUT, as long as it's not hanging in boot, I am very happy.

    Thanks again.

    Jason

+ Reply to Thread