Access SAMBA Server thru Internet - SMB

This is a discussion on Access SAMBA Server thru Internet - SMB ; Hi All, I have setup a Samba server in a LAN. The LAN is attach to an ADSL router. Then i used of the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service from dyndns.org. So how do i make use of these facilities to ...

  1. Access SAMBA Server thru Internet

    Hi All,
    I have setup a Samba server in a LAN. The LAN is attach to an ADSL router.
    Then i used of the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service from dyndns.org.

    So how do i make use of these facilities to remote access my Samba Server in
    Linux (Redhat9.0).

    This is the structure of my network :-

    Remote PC

    Internet

    ADSL Router (LAN: 192.168.100.1 WAN :
    abc.dyndns.biz)

    -------------------------------
    | | |
    DSR-Video PC Linux (SAMBA Server)
    Server (192.168.100.100)
    (192.168.100.25)

    What should i do with my ADSL Router or Samba Server?

    Thanks

    Regards,
    KK LIM

  2. Re: Access SAMBA Server thru Internet

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:23:23 +0800,
    KK LIM , in
    <3f4f2906$1_2@news.tm.net.my> wrote:

    +> I have setup a Samba server in a LAN. The LAN is attach to an ADSL router.
    +> Then i used of the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service from dyndns.org.
    +>
    +> So how do i make use of these facilities to remote access my Samba Server in
    +> Linux (Redhat9.0).

    I suspect that one or more of your service providers is blocking
    access to the ports necessary to use SMB file and print
    sharing. Historically, what you're attempting has been classified as a
    Really Bad Idea. It was also used by people to check the spread of the
    Blaster worm.

    The way to find out if that is true is to port scan your RH machine
    from the machine you want to use to access the samba services on your
    RH machine. Also, did you set up your RH machine with a firewall
    enabled? by default, RH9 asks to enable a medium-level firewall. You
    may have said "yes".

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Access SAMBA Server thru Internet

    I'd agree with James. I suspect the best way to share something over the
    Internet is with the traditional html, ftp and smtp tools. You can share the
    same file structure internally with Samba and externally with ftp. The ftp
    server can be password protected. Be cautioned that anything shared on the
    Internet is succeptable to intrusion.

    Murray

    "I R A Darth Aggie" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:23:23 +0800,
    > KK LIM , in
    > <3f4f2906$1_2@news.tm.net.my> wrote:
    >
    > +> I have setup a Samba server in a LAN. The LAN is attach to an ADSL

    router.
    > +> Then i used of the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service from dyndns.org.
    > +>
    > +> So how do i make use of these facilities to remote access my Samba

    Server in
    > +> Linux (Redhat9.0).
    >
    > I suspect that one or more of your service providers is blocking
    > access to the ports necessary to use SMB file and print
    > sharing. Historically, what you're attempting has been classified as a
    > Really Bad Idea. It was also used by people to check the spread of the
    > Blaster worm.
    >
    > The way to find out if that is true is to port scan your RH machine
    > from the machine you want to use to access the samba services on your
    > RH machine. Also, did you set up your RH machine with a firewall
    > enabled? by default, RH9 asks to enable a medium-level firewall. You
    > may have said "yes".
    >
    > James
    > --
    > Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    > I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    > isn't looking good, either.
    > I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

  4. Re: Access SAMBA Server thru Internet

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:23:23 +0800,
    > KK LIM , in
    > <3f4f2906$1_2@news.tm.net.my> wrote:
    >
    > +> I have setup a Samba server in a LAN. The LAN is attach to an ADSL router.
    > +> Then i used of the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service from dyndns.org.
    > +>
    > +> So how do i make use of these facilities to remote access my Samba Server in
    > +> Linux (Redhat9.0).
    >
    > I suspect that one or more of your service providers is blocking
    > access to the ports necessary to use SMB file and print
    > sharing. Historically, what you're attempting has been classified as a
    > Really Bad Idea. It was also used by people to check the spread of the
    > Blaster worm.

    Or it's blocked by his ADSL router, which it *should* be. In order to
    allow SMB access from a remote location, you should really be running it
    over a secure channel such as VPN (www.poptop.org for more details on a
    decent Linux one). Otherwise, it's often far too easy for anyone between
    you and your destination to steal passwords or other data.

    SMB is *not* a secure file-sharing system, and never will be. Don't use
    it across the Internet.

  5. Re: Access SAMBA Server thru Internet

    If you have another linux server, you can use shfs to mount the remote
    server onto your local linux server, then share that mount folder in samba.
    Tried it, it works. http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

    Jason

    :
    > abc.dyndns.biz)
    > |
    > -------------------------------
    > | | |
    > DSR-Video PC Linux (SAMBA Server)
    > Server

    (192.168.100.100)
    > (192.168.100.25)
    >
    > What should i do with my ADSL Router or Samba Server?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Regards,
    > KK LIM

+ Reply to Thread