SuSE 8.2 and samba - SMB

This is a discussion on SuSE 8.2 and samba - SMB ; I have been playing with samba for a few days on SuSE 8.2. I have tried to get SWAT working and the config files for SuSA state port 901 is in conflict. How can one change this to another or ...

  1. SuSE 8.2 and samba

    I have been playing with samba for a few days on SuSE 8.2. I have tried to
    get SWAT working and the config files for SuSA state port 901 is in
    conflict. How can one change this to another or is SWAT stuck on 901.

    Also, does anyone know how to start samba on SuSE vi inetd. I do what the
    docs say and they do not start.

    Don Long

  2. Re: SuSE 8.2 and samba

    Hi Don,

    You can use yast2 to edit you /etc/xinet.conf directory.

    Suse 8,2 uses xinetd not inetd anymore.

    Do not use inetd.conf anymore.

    You will have a file /etc/xinetd.conf.d/samba which looks like this:

    # SWAT is the Samba Web Admin Tool.
    {
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/bin/swat
    # only from = 128.0.0.1
    }

    > ... the config files for SuSA state port 901 is in
    > conflict.

    with xinet ????

    > Also, does anyone know how to start samba on SuSE vi inetd. I do what the
    > docs say and they do not start.

    No. to start smb via inetd is not a good idea..

    You have to enter it in the runlevel editor IIRC. smb and nmb

    That leads to an entry in /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S14smb to start
    and /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K07smb to stop

    approp. for runlevel 3.

    Have fun,
    regards,